Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] La Liga game in Miami

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The La Liga match between Barcalona & Athletico Madrid is likely to be played in Miami on December 22nd. And to think we're moaning about getting to the Amex at Christmas.
But here's the thing, from what I can see, no one seems to be complaining.
They already play a four team competition, the Spanish Super Cup, in Saudi land in January.
Is this just the big teams selling out for money or La Liga selling their clubs out for the money?

Dec 29, 2011
Club world cup this summer will be the start of this for Premier League teams. FIFA will want them to field a full strength squad, the clubs obviously won't want to. This will determine who holds more power.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Club world cup this summer will be the start of this for Premier League teams. FIFA will want them to field a full strength squad, the clubs obviously won't want to. This will determine who holds more power.
Really can't wait for the likes of Citeh to taking on giants like Mamelodi Sundowns or Auckland City. What amazing an spectacle it will be

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I think it is La Liga’s response to The Premier League being the most popular league in the World from a commercial perspective and they feel they need to do something to gain extra exposure and revenue as they are losing out. That’s not to say some soccerball team may want implement it here one day.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The start of a slippery slope me thinks
I'm not so sure. There are only 3 teams in Spain with global reach, and two of them are playing in this game. Nobody in Miami wants to watch Alaves v Getafe, or even historically big clubs like Betis/Sevilla/Sociedad/Valencia. For the same reasons, don't expect Albion v Bournemouth to be played in Dallas any time soon. This isn't the NFL.

I think it's more that this is a bone being fed by La Liga to the 3 big clubs to allow them to be even more greedy. (They already allow the clubs to negotiate their own TV deals thus keeping the big 3 in perpetual clover)

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Jacksonville Jaguars played 2 games in London this season remember. It is a slippery slope.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Jacksonville Jaguars played 2 games in London this season remember. It is a slippery slope.
Especially when you consider there are only 8 regular season home games in the NFL, so losing 2 of them to a venue over 4,000 miles away - not great for their fans.

Baseball has 81 regular season home games, so not quite as big a deal franchising a series to the London Stadium. But I would be MIGHTILY macked off at losing one of our 19 home EPL games to the USA, if thats what panned out.

And just like VAR, you just know it's introduction would be the thin end of a stonking great wedge.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whilst Jacksonville are one of the smaller NFL teams, if you want to watch highest quality American football at all in London, you have to watch whatever teams are playing here.

There's the difference - if you offered an American the chance to see Bournemouth v Burnley or whatever, it would draw flies - most of the market would just wait until Messi was next in town with Inter Miami instead.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
if you offered an American the chance to see Bournemouth v Burnley or whatever, it would draw flies

Maybe if they knew Messi & Inter Miami weren't playing Chicago Fire FC but if given a choice the "real" fans would know to go to Bournemouth-Burnley because it would be a much more competitive match. Many in Miami are knowledgeable fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here