Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] It's a team game, even when you're not in the team...

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Danny Welbeck: "We have got to give credit to the senior boys who are not in the pitch the likes of Steely and Milner - they told us the bare minimum is we've got to fight. Everyone is together in this."

I really admire Steele actually. Everything I’ve seen of him suggests he’s the nicest bloke and really supportive even though he’s rarely been the first choice here apart from his time in the sun with RDZ. He and Bart seem to get on really well despite him coming through and basically taking his place. Good on him if he was kicking their arses at half-time!

7dialssouthpaw

Sep 10, 2022
I think the Chelsea game, despite us losing, was really positive for our team-bonding. Sometimes you need to go through these things together and lose as a team.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Is it the time to say we won the first two games of the season with Steele in the team and Steele was playing better than Verbruggen is now with the latter not receiving anywhere near the pelters Steele was constantly getting? No, thought not.
Your comments are fair.

The stick that Steele got was way over the top. Had he let one through like that Spurs second goal, the reaction would have been proper toxic on here.

To be clear I completely support Verbruggen playing, I just think Steele is under-rated on here

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
Steele is used a lot in training though isn’t he, for his shot stopping. I think his place in the team runs much deeper off the pitch than whether he plays games or not.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Danny Welbeck: "We have got to give credit to the senior boys who are not in the pitch the likes of Steely and Milner - they told us the bare minimum is we've got to fight. Everyone is together in this."
You can see why Welbeck is so well liked by everyone with comments like that.

He got an amazing reception from the Man United fans at the start of the season and then a equally as good one a week later at Arsenal.

Assume he was getting some stick from the Spurs fans yesterday as he seemed to very much enjoy his goal and took great delight waving at the Spurs fans at the final whistle.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Didn’t go yesterday so hopefully someone can confirm, I read a few references that at full time Enciso didn’t join in with the players celebrating and seemed isolated at the other end of the pitch.

Anything in this?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Didn’t go yesterday so hopefully someone can confirm, I read a few references that at full time Enciso didn’t join in with the players celebrating and seemed isolated at the other end of the pitch.

Anything in this?
He came directly across to the family stand at the FT whistle, and looked absolutely delighted.

Most of the players at that point gravitated towards the other end of the East, as that's where their families are.

Nothing in this. File as unnecessary nonsense.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I really admire Steele actually. Everything I’ve seen of him suggests he’s the nicest bloke and really supportive even though he’s rarely been the first choice here apart from his time in the sun with RDZ. He and Bart seem to get on really well despite him coming through and basically taking his place. Good on him if he was kicking their arses at half-time!
I think there are people who don't realise how lucky we are to have Jason Steele in our squad. He's the kind of bloke who does exactly what he's told without a whiff of dissent, who knows he'll never be first choice keeper but nevertheless commands the respect of the squad because of the way he conducts himself around the club and in training. If that wasn't the case, people wouldn't listen to him and he probably wouldn't be here.

I should imagine that most clubs find it challenging to get the right back-up keeper in. Most players demand first team football and that is rarer for back-up keepers than back-ups elsewhere on the pitch. We all know Steele's short-comings, but what he brings to the table is so underappreciated by some I think.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Is it the time to say we won the first two games of the season with Steele in the team and Steele was playing better than Verbruggen is now with the latter not receiving anywhere near the pelters Steele was constantly getting? No, thought not.
100% this.
The fact we won has saved bart from a mauling really. 2 clangers in the game both of which went in the net (1 disallowed). Steele would have been pasted for doing anything similarly bad (which he hasnt)

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
He came directly across to the family stand at the FT whistle, and looked absolutely delighted.

Most of the players at that point gravitated towards the other end of the East, as that's where their families are.

Nothing in this. File as unnecessary nonsense.
100% this. He was a little wasteful when he came on (as was, to a larger extent, Gruda and occasionally Weiffer) but gave his usual intense effort which really helped our press. Seemed really happy (as did everyone) at full time.

I'm not really sure why he's become such a scapegoat. He seems a really nice lad and always adds something to the side for me. It sounds like he will sign a contract extension this season on improved terms (if his agent's comments are anything to go by) and hopefully he'll get back to his electric form that we saw under RDZ soon.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
100% this. He was a little wasteful when he came on (as was, to a larger extent, Gruda and occasionally Weiffer) but gave his usual intense effort which really helped our press. Seemed really happy (as did everyone) at full time.

I'm not really sure why he's become such a scapegoat. He seems a really nice lad and always adds something to the side for me. It sounds like he will sign a contract extension this season on improved terms (if his agent's comments are anything to go by) and hopefully he'll get back to his electric form that we saw under RDZ soon.
Gotta love being a footballer. Year off injured, get paid for doing nothing. Come back crap and unfit , brag in press that you can't wait to move to a big club.

Get a pay rise.

Why can't real life work like this ?!?!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Gotta love being a footballer. Year off injured, get paid for doing nothing. Come back crap and unfit , brag in press that you can't wait to move to a big club.

Get a pay rise.

Why can't real life work like this ?!?!
I don't think he's been crap and you're mad if you think an injured player "does nothing" for a year. They are at the club working on their recovery consistently - doing their job. I also can't find any quote of him bragging in the press that he is going to move to a big club. There is a quote from his agent saying that he's been talking to the club for a long time about a renewal, they have a good relationship and it's very possible but that if it doesn't happen he won't be short of suitors.

But ultimately, if I was under contract in my role, and I was signed off with an injury that stopped me from working for a long period but came back to work ahead of schedule, put in the hours and then got promoted from the role I returned to, would it really be that wild a shock? Sounds like you need a better job Dwayne.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here