Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Solly March an Albion legend?

Is Solly March an Albion legend?

• Of course!

Votes: 221 98.7%
  • No - lower league donkey who has had a bit of luck

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Ha see I elicited some quick responses with my post! My wording was off, what I meant was he would be undeniably a legend and 100% of people would agree with that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
'I was right when I said he was crap. I said he needed to sort his final ball out and he'd be good enough, so I'm pleased to see he took my advice' etc etc.

and right on cue...

I’m here. I presume you’re trying to get ahold of me to thank me for giving Solly the kick up the ass needed to finally start scoring some goals? You’re all welcome!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Mmmm, define legend.

Perseverance, loyalty, adaptability, still learning, found his shooting boots, and more. The first three could also be said of Gerry Ryan, so, maybe.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yeh. What is a legend? I heard someone describe a barman as one for getting them a pint at the weekend. In football, people routinely use it to describe quite a good player.

In my mind, the word legend should reflect it's historic usage. Stories of that individual and their deeds will be passed down the generations.

So I've heard stories about Peter Ward and Lawrenson, so that even though I never saw them play, I feel a connection to them. Zamora as well, i've told my kids about.

I'm fecking harsh, but I think a club can only really have 4, 5, maybe 6 legends. Dunky will probably qualify.

But it's tough, because we're not a team of individuals, we're a group.

Solly certainly makes an all time Brighton XI in my view, as do probably about 8 of our current squad.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There is a big difference between Brighton legends and Brighton best players. Probably 15 of our 20 best players in our history are in the present squad. It's what happens when a club with no history becomes, for the first time, one of the top seven best performing clubs in the country.

If we flop back down to the lower reaches of the EPL or, heaven forefend, slip back into the Championship, we will look back on our current squad and imagine there were maybe ten club legends on show. If however we continue to improve, our view may differ.

Foreman
Murray (Bert)
Henderson
Napier (Kit)
Wilson
Binney
Ward
Lawrenson
Smith
...........(long gap)
Foster
Case
Storer
Reinelt
Kuipers
Cullip
El Abd
Mayo
Zamora
Murray (Glenn)
Dunk
and most of the rest of our current first team regulars?

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
A player that has been with us his whole career. Progressing from Eastbourne, Lewis to our youth team and finally our first team. Helped to get us promoted from The Championship whilst still getting stick from large amounts of fans, to becoming automatic starter and goal scoring machine in our Premier League side that is now fighting for Europe and in an FA Cup semi final....... LEGEND.

Amazing that we have local lads in Dunk and March that have been with us since since kids and have still managed to keeping stepping up through the levels alongside the club and not hit a celling and had to be sold (like El-Adb, Elphick or Virgo etc) massive credit to the coaching staff for squeezing every ounce of talent out of them.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think I remember Solly not always taking the tackles as seriously as he could but that is long gone… That header was his…… boots flying or not.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Mmmm, define legend.

Perseverance, loyalty, adaptability, still learning, found his shooting boots, and more. The first three could also be said of Gerry Ryan, so, maybe.

Yeh. What is a legend? I heard someone describe a barman as one for getting them a pint at the weekend. In football, people routinely use it to describe quite a good player.
Gerry Ryan is a legend as well, and I used to tell him that when he pulled my pint when he ran the Witch in Lindfield.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Of the two options presented, definitely legend rather than donkey.

but yes he is a legend…..

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

In my mind, the word legend should reflect it's historic usage. Stories of that individual and their deeds will be passed down the generations.

So I've heard stories about Peter Ward and Lawrenson, so that even though I never saw them play, I feel a connection to them. Zamora as well, i've told my kids about.

I'm fecking harsh, but I think a club can only really have 4, 5, maybe 6 legends. Dunky will probably qualify.

But it's tough, because we're not a team of individuals, we're a group.

Solly certainly makes an all time Brighton XI in my view, as do probably about 8 of our current squad.
Interesting thoughts about the legend concept but the bolded part... doesn't that get a bit weird? I think, Zamora and Ward aside, Leon Knight might be the old ex-Albion name I've read the most often since joining here... far more than say Kerry Mayo. Does that make Leon Knight a legend?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here