Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Igor Julio - SINGS for 4 years!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I have to say I’m coming round to Igor being a solid part of the squad. He’s not been hugely noticeable for me watching the last couple of matches, but he just quietly gets on with it, and every now and then there’s a moment of real quality on the ball.

I’m slowly becoming a fan.
What concerns me a little, and there were 2 or 3 examples on Saturday, is that he likes to carry the ball forward and doesn't release it before he's tackled and, instead, tries to dribble past the oppo. Like Webster, he's not good enough to do this successfully and loses possession. On Saturday he ran into 2 or 3 Newcastle players on one run and tried a pseudo-Gross turn, a Ronaldo chop, a drag back with the sole of the boot and several other manoeuvres before getting dispossessed in our own half.
He's a decent player but would be better if he would learn to release the ball before engaging the opposition players.

Shaktarman

Sep 19, 2022
I declared him shit after his showing on our Europa League debut, against AEK. And I (and anyone else expressing that) was absolutely not 'completely wrong'. He really was utterly dreadful.

But he's proven to be a far better player than he looked that night, so fair play.

He's really not good enough to be anything more than a back up though - he just switches off, too often. Even yesterday, in a game being held up as his 'best yet', it was him who switched off and played Isak onside for what should have been the game's opening goal.

View attachment 190632
I agree with this. He’s not good enough to play for us with our aspirations of Europe / top half regularly. He’s a decent back up. He played Isak on about 3 times by dropping too deep as he’s worried about his lack of pace. That said, he did everything else right. He’s not been worth what we paid though.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
What concerns me a little, and there were 2 or 3 examples on Saturday, is that he likes to carry the ball forward and doesn't release it before he's tackled and, instead, tries to dribble past the oppo. Like Webster, he's not good enough to do this successfully and loses possession. On Saturday he ran into 2 or 3 Newcastle players on one run and tried a pseudo-Gross turn, a Ronaldo chop, a drag back with the sole of the boot and several other manoeuvres before getting dispossessed in our own half.
He's a decent player but would be better if he would learn to release the ball before engaging the opposition players.
Agree with that but I like the fact that he's got the confidence to try things like that. I agree he needs to be pragmatic in those situations but I wouldn't want to train that attitude out of him completely.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

I hear you, but we’ve bought a Brazilian centre-back. I’d be terribly disappointed if he didn’t attempt the occasional bit of flair.

Personally, as long as he’s not the last man and there’s some cover for those times he does lose it, I consider it included in the purchase price.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I declared him shit after his showing on our Europa League debut, against AEK. And I (and anyone else expressing that) was absolutely not 'completely wrong'. He really was utterly dreadful.

But he's proven to be a far better player than he looked that night, so fair play.

He's really not good enough to be anything more than a back up though - he just switches off, too often. Even yesterday, in a game being held up as his 'best yet', it was him who switched off and played Isak onside for what should have been the game's opening goal.

View attachment 190632
Exactly, even Saturday for the first 15 minutes he had zero discipline positionally, but as the game went on, he played arguably his best game for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here