Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Technology] If you could afford it would your next car be an EV?

If you could afford it would your next car be an EV

• Yes

Votes: 96 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 157 45.5%
  • I donā€™t drive and have no interest in getting a driving licence

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Fence

Votes: 30 8.7%
  • I already have one

Votes: 49 14.2%

• Total voters

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I 100% accept EVs arenā€™t for everyone, I donā€™t mind what anyone drives, but when someone tries to insinuate that importing polluting petrochemicals from the Middle East to be burnt is the cost-effective and efficient way of powering personal transport, it is a lie.

Only @dsr-burnley has to read that particular post however, and he has a magical combustion engine vehicle that doesnā€™t depreciate, doesnā€™t go wrong, and apparently cost him nothing. EVs still manage to be cheaper mind.
Five combustion engine vehicles actually. Total capital cost Ā£22k for (to date) 35 years' motoring. I could probably have saved money by getting a Sinclair C5 and its successors, but it's not comparing like with like.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Five combustion engine vehicles actually. Total capital cost Ā£22k for (to date) 35 years' motoring. I could probably have saved money by getting a Sinclair C5 and its successors, but it's not comparing like with like.

I agree entirely. Combustion engines have been the only game in town for 25 of those 35 years.

Iā€™m just waiting for someone to jump in and say they still ride a horse.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
11kw bi-directional AC charging, now that is a serious game changer.

Charge at night on 6.5p, home use and heat pump sorted. For many is a home battery still worth it at all?

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
11kw bi-directional AC charging, now that is a serious game changer.

Charge at night on 6.5p, home use and heat pump sorted. For many is a home battery still worth it at all?

Looks nice. Of course, the car won't be plugged in at home all day, so the house battery is still justified.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As likely as the Chinese taking control of your car :smile:

I am joshing, I do get EVs, just not for me
They aren't for lots of people, which is absolutely fine. If they were, the industry would be in a right old state! You just need to look at the level of maturity of the vehicles and infrastructure to know that it will take time. A LONG time for some people.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Nice, my parents had an Auto Union 1000s two stroke exactly like this one. We went all over Europe in it, fabulous car. Taken over by VW and name changed to Audi, with the same four ring badge
I've raced with one of those! Ad there was oe next to us in the Paddock at Lemans . . . 3 cylinders firing up with straight through expansion chambers at 6am is an experience one doesn't forget in a hurry . . .my ears are still ringing 14 years later.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yeah, the Renault 5 EV sounds like a leap forward. We have solar and a 13.5kwh home battery, but EV batteries are obviously bigger and potentially far more flexible with V2G. (And, presumably, vehicle-to-house?) Will be interesting to see how well it integrates with existing systems.
Funny you mention solar . . . . It amazes me that cars don't have a solar panel on the roof, common to be fitted to motorhomes . . . . But most cars have a roof ad also an incredibly thirsty electrical system. . . .it would possibly be enough to keep thre car topped up and healthy when parked up.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Funny you mention solar . . . . It amazes me that cars don't have a solar panel on the roof, common to be fitted to motorhomes . . . . But most cars have a roof ad also an incredibly thirsty electrical system. . . .it would possibly be enough to keep thre car topped up and healthy when parked up.
The Hyundai IONIQ 5 has (or can have as an option - I'm not sure) a solar panel on the roof.

From what I remember reading the amount of charge it can generate, even in bright sunny conditions was pretty low. I think it was single-digit miles per day.

If that's the case, it may explain why there's not been wider adoption thus far.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The Hyundai IONIQ 5 has (or can have as an option - I'm not sure) a solar panel on the roof.

From what I remember reading the amount of charge it can generate, even in bright sunny conditions was pretty low. I think it was single-digit miles per day.

If that's the case, it may explain why there's not been wider adoption thus far.
I was thinking more about balancing/offsetting the constant drain of modern cars that are loaded with electrical non-essentials or 'luxuries/conveniences' the most notable being alarm systems that paralyse some cars in a week or two if left un-used

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Thereā€™s a huge difference between running my full house off my 14 roof panels, and keeping my car running. When my car is plugged in to solar, it needs a ā€œsurplusā€ of 1.4kw available (electrical regulations) before it will even start charging. Fine in the summer, but youā€™re not going to do much more than power the carā€™s accessories from a single panel on its roof.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Looks nice. Of course, the car won't be plugged in at home all day, so the house battery is still justified.
Bit of solar on the roof and most year the base load will be covered

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Bit of solar on the roof and most year the base load will be covered
Probably horses for courses, like the EVs themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here