Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] I miss Brighton

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
A word of advice to all of those who've been away so long that they've forgotten the bus routes: if you're ever tempted to go from North Street to the Marina, DON'T get on a number 21 bus. My wife is STILL angry, four hours later.....

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It's funny. I grew up in Brighton and stayed in sussex most of my life before moving to Malta.
Nostalgia makes me have rose tinted glasses as there were some great things about the town. However I moved away as I fell out of love with the town. Too many angry people everywhere!

The World cup of Brightons best and worst pubs was weird, in that I know and have drunk in all the worst ones, but have not even heard of some of the Best nominations! Clearly need to spend some time there and do some research.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's funny. I grew up in Brighton and stayed in sussex most of my life before moving to Malta.
Nostalgia makes me have rose tinted glasses as there were some great things about the town. However I moved away as I fell out of love with the town. Too many angry people everywhere!

The World cup of Brightons best and worst pubs was weird, in that I know and have drunk in all the worst ones, but have not even heard of some of the Best nominations! Clearly need to spend some time there and do some research.

I've rarely travel abroad, but I have fond memories of Malta, the people are well disposed towards the British, and they love their sport.

Whilst there are angry people in Brighton, I don't think your glasses are at all rose-tinted. Brighton still offers an experience for all-comers, and it was when I moved away for a while that I began to appreciate it more.

That said, Malta must be an fulfilling lifestyle for many, and the number of ex-pats, especially on Gozo, must make it feel like a 'home from home'.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I moved from Brighton in 2006 and have been living and working in London since.

I've recently had an offer on a place in Brighton accepted and I cannot wait to move back. I haven't even got a job sorted but I don't care, I can't wait to be 'home'.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Always miss Brighton on this Bank Holiday as it's when the South Downs Ale Trail starts. It combines great beers, great pubs and great Sussex scenery. Will be able to do a few when I go back in July but miss not being able to do the full 40.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Always miss Brighton on this Bank Holiday as it's when the South Downs Ale Trail starts. It combines great beers, great pubs and great Sussex scenery. Will be able to do a few when I go back in July but miss not being able to do the full 40.

Full 40?? Jeez. Even a half in each is 20 pints. Good work.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Been back for 6 months now and loving it. No city is perfect but Brightons imperfections are almost entirely a product of its desireability and for me it's relatively easy to look beyond these. Having spent the last 9 years in Gibraltar the Festival this year has been a cultural orgy and have already spent several very pleasant days at the County Ground as well as seeing all Albion home games without having to fly over!! Been for some lovely country walks, visited many excellent pubs and restaurants both in and outside Brighton, travelled on the Volks and on the excellent Brighton buses, seen a couple of shows at the Theatre Royal, and generally just immersing myself in being home at last.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
My holiday week in Brighton is not being blessed by the weather - forecast yesterday said it was the 'European monsoon' period that we always (?) have at the end of May/beginning of June. Never really noticed before, except when we last took a holiday in Brighton three years ago. Anyway, we're seeing the sights today - Portslade this pm, am TBD.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Only lived away from Brighton for 9 months and no regrets but I am flying back for 3 weeks in August and cannot wait (especially as I get to see some Brighton games) :)

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I like Brighton more now that I am not there, 23 years in the West Country has spoilt me really.....but I love the eclectic nature of Brighton.....and indeed the homely feel of Shoreham,..would I move back?....no.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
I love visiting, but would not move back. I enjoy very rural Warwickshire. Brighton is a great and unique city for the UK but imho a tad overrated.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Miss it a little, but i think its more that i miss that time in my life, growing up, friends, family, first time experiences etc. now London is home and i am very happy here. Cant see me moving back

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Went 'home' to Brighton for 5 weeks this summer and LOVED it. Wonderful place, great pubs, great people and everything that goes with it. Many people complain about the homelessness and litter but having traveled back from Nairobi this was hardly an issue for me!

Liked it so much I have already booked to go back in December for my Christmas holidays :)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Miss it a little, but i think its more that i miss that time in my life, growing up, friends, family, first time experiences etc. now London is home and i am very happy here. Cant see me moving back

I always feel that saying you 'live in London' as too vague a statement.

Surely you live in one small part of London that has very little in common with another part of London, if that makes sense, I cannot see any real common bond between those living there, unless they happen to live in the same small area.

Whereas Brighton due to its uniqueness and size is likely to lend itself to a more shared experience by those living within its boundaries.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I lived in London for 16 years and got fed up with it. I found it a real grind. People obviously want to live there though, and it's certainly one of the great cities of the world. Each to their own.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I always feel that saying you 'live in London' as too vague a statement.

Surely you live in one small part of London that has very little in common with another part of London, if that makes sense, I cannot see any real common bond between those living there, unless they happen to live in the same small area.

Whereas Brighton due to its uniqueness and size is likely to lend itself to a more shared experience by those living within its boundaries.

Good point but thats not really my experience. London is a great place to live because of its richness of differences. The diversity is what makes it strong. Its not one entitiy but no city is, and the fact its has grown from the convergence of villages and towns over time makes its more fascinating. Its not for everyone, which i get, but there are always more wanting to come. I would say i live in London before i say i live in England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here