Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I Know I Will Get Slaughtered For This But !

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
So you find your statement that plenty of managers are ready to carry on the job at the Albion, started by Gus and Tano, Boringggggggggg. I would be interested to see the list, I am unsure Robinson and Gorman who have not set League One alight with a budget would fare that well, one big advatage Gus has is in his ability to get player to sign for us on less money but bought into the way we play. Players of the calibre of Reyes/Mattock/Assulin are more likely to sign up to our system because they enjoy it rather than just sign for the highest payers.

Well just look at the problem Wolves have had putting in a qulaity manager and they have a budget and set up ahead of ours. Curbs has turned them down he would want a big budget to make us attractive and thankfully Tony has us managed just right
Just done a list and if you open your eyes you may have seen it???

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So Buckley, Bridcutt, Noone and Greer aren't up to Championship standard? Sure.

Bridcutt is an average championship player at best. Very poor mans Ray Wilkins,,sideways,sideways and backwards. Really can't see what all the fuss is about. Yes he had a good first half of the season but he has been found out since Christmas. As for Noone, it all very well taking it passed two men, then turning around and trying to take it passed them again but the final ball is shocking for a player at this level. For two million quid I would have drove him to Cardiff myself. Just proves how much money there must be knocking around at Brighton these days,,,,and Poyet moans about budgets!!!!!!!!!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Of course if this was Gus' second full season as a manager when he would be learning his management style he would be given more leeway. Obviously his 20+ year career as a top flight manager only compounds his failure... Oh wait...

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Karl robinson
Zola
Curbishley
De matteo
Di canio
That's a very good list

Your top 5 on the list of plenty.

Robinson may well be at his level, but possible we may pay him the same he is getting at MKD
Zola would be a good replacment as he has already taken coaching sessions under Gus and knows our systems, is he someone who wants to manage!
Curbs is out of our league finacially and has also been out of football managemant and it has changed
Di Matteo would be one of my choices but all the rumours are he is a terribe man manager and players fall out with him not sure he would be any better thab Gus
Di Canio is a more firey version of Gus and I am sure one of your points is Gus is too temprmental

So who else is on your list that is reasonable

If Gus were to go I would want Martinez to carry on the job, but he will be a top paid pick. we would need someone like Gus who gets involved top to bottom.

The more you look at this the more you see we have one of the best managers around and replaing him would be diffuclit, finacially and getting someone in with real vision to make the new developlmet squad a sucess.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So you find your statement that plenty of managers are ready to carry on the job at the Albion, started by Gus and Tano, Boringggggggggg. I would be interested to see the list, I am unsure Robinson and Gorman who have not set League One alight with a budget would fare that well, one big advatage Gus has is in his ability to get player to sign for us on less money but bought into the way we play. Players of the calibre of Reyes/Mattock/Assulin are more likely to sign up to our system because they enjoy it rather than just sign for the highest payers.

Well just look at the problem Wolves have had putting in a qulaity manager and they have a budget and set up ahead of ours. Curbs has turned them down he would want a big budget to make us attractive and thankfully Tony has us managed just right

Curbishley turned Wolves down because they only offered him a contract till the end of this season....any manager in there right mind would have turned them down, as they did for the record. That's why they appointed poor old TC.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
O put a sock in it chubby chops,look at our midfielders and think about it carefully.You explain why we have so few attempts at goal and why we are pinned back most games,a dominant midfield is key and that's what we're missing.

Pinned back most games ? We've been superb at home this season but come up short sometimes away. But then I didn't appreciate that you expected us to be the finished product at this stage and challenging for the Prem this season.

I think we're still something of a work in progress, so the fact we've been in the upper reaches of the league all season is a decent achievement in my book. Not good enough for you though obviously.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I find this sort of thread a bit worrying tbh. How many fans are there now who are going to view finishing outside the top 6 a FAILURE this season ?

I know we've got a load of new and returning fans who have helped pack out that stadium. But if there are large swathes of them who ultimately view THIS season as a disappointment, are they going to renew ? Because as most of us with a bit of perspective know, things aren't always going to be as good as this. If 8th in the Championship is being perceived as "not good enough", then god help us if we're bumbling round midtable or worse next season.

Perhaps the Palace scum are right about our plastics.
Let's face it easy 10 you used to lick dick knights bum all night long,plenty on here like you loved being a special fan back in the dark days and you felt superior to other fans.Its the same group on here who are just grateful and have no expectations.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
No they don't,they expect a manager to play to our strenghs and have a go,is that so hard to do?
To say he's a tit is ridiculous as he speaks a lot of sense:)

Ha, ha! You cannot say thinks like that to the Clique members.

It is so interesting to see all of the old Dick Tight arsewipes doing exactly the same over Gus Poyet, and shouting down anyone who dares to question him. Well, how wrong they were over Tight - he came within inches of breaking the Club (because there was no money actually in place for Falmer!) - if it was not for Tony Bloom's money we would be nowhere. No one person will ever control the Club again! Bolloxs! But we have the right guy in control at last.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
People don't understand the difference between The Championship, and League 1. The gulf in class is huge, but we're 8th in the table! That is NOT a bad performance by Gus in the slightest, and all this criticism is a disgrace. We picked up players from obscure clubs with the intention of playing League 1 football and today we're still using these players at the top end of the Championship. I mean, come on, wake up and smell reality! The job Gus has done to get us to where we are in the league is fantastic and once we've signed a better standard of player in the summer, we'll be in the top 6 with style and class next season.

Keep the faith.

I agree with a lot of what you've said, especially the bit I've stuck in bold. I've got a slightly different view though: although I agree it's been a good season (in fact, an excellent one) there have been too many games like yesterday's and like Anfield (I expected us to lose both games, but not like that. Not like that at all). It's the capitulations which worry me, but I'm sure Gus is on the case and we'll be much more fearsome next year. Also, he's got his tactics very wrong on occasion, but for someone in his first job as manager that doesn't worry me too much, as long as he understands where and when he went wrong- which I think he does.

Overall, then? I still think we're very lucky to have Poyet at our club, he's doing a great job overall, but let's see where we are halfway through next season.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Your top 5 on the list of plenty.

Robinson may well be at his level, but possible we may pay him the same he is getting at MKD
Zola would be a good replacment as he has already taken coaching sessions under Gus and knows our systems, is he someone who wants to manage!
Curbs is out of our league finacially and has also been out of football managemant and it has changed
Di Matteo would be one of my choices but all the rumours are he is a terribe man manager and players fall out with him not sure he would be any better thab Gus
Di Canio is a more firey version of Gus and I am sure one of your points is Gus is too temprmental

So who else is on your list that is reasonable

If Gus were to go I would want Martinez to carry on the job. we would need someone like Gus who gets involved top to bottom.

The more you look at this the more you see we have one of the best managers around and replaing him would be diffuclit, finacially and getting someone in with real vision to make the new developlmet squad a sucess.

How has football changed in the last 3/4 years so much that a man like Alan Curbishley who has been in the game all his life, could not cope. It's still 11 against 11 on a green field, with two sets of goal posts at either end isn't it?..or have I missed something.....What a ridiculous statement.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Pinned back most games ? We've been superb at home this season but come up short sometimes away. But then I didn't appreciate that you expected us to be the finished product at this stage and challenging for the Prem this season.

I think we're still something of a work in progress, so the fact we've been in the upper reaches of the league all season is a decent achievement in my book. Not good enough for you though obviously.
Actually we,ve been lucky for many games at home,the reading game was the best for months and yes away we have been poor for most of the season.I would have been delighted with 16th,what makes me angry like many is the negative tactics and the pi$$ing around.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Most of us are fully aware of our past as that's brought up to often,now we have a new stadium and higher expectations so people will expect better football and better prospects.

shit, who's going to tell Huddersfield's fans that that their stadium (bigger than ours incidently) won't mean they'll get to the Premier League? Or have they worked it out after 18 years?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

It is so interesting to see all of the old Dick Tight arsewipes doing exactly the same over Gus Poyet, and shouting down anyone who dares to question him. Well, how wrong they were over Tight - he came within inches of breaking the Club (because there was no money actually in place for Falmer!) - if it was not for Tony Bloom's money we would be nowhere. No one person will ever control the Club again! Bolloxs! But we have the right guy in control at last.
For years I was telling them that about knight,they kept saying knight was bankrolling the club when in fact it was bloom that kept us afloat all along.The club would be dead if knight was still the chairman.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So... work in progress is just something other teams work on, I suppose?

Christ alive, this season has will see our highest finish since 1991, where things progressing - isolated 6-0 defeats aside - and where we have established ourselves as a conteding Championship side. Anyone who thinks we were going to piss this division (one of the hardest and most competitive in Europe) on the back of last season is deluded.

And f*** up about Alan Curbishley. Jesus, Kev you are OBSESSED.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
shit, who's going to tell Huddersfield's fans that that their stadium (bigger than ours incidently) won't mean they'll get to the Premier League? Or have they worked it out after 18 years?
The point is not all about getting to the prem,the point is the club has moved on from the dark days so no need to keep bleeting on about it all the time.If everyone thought this way we would have no expectations.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
How has football changed in the last 3/4 years so much that a man like Alan Curbishley who has been in the game all his life, could not cope. It's still 11 against 11 on a green field, with two sets of goal posts at either end isn't it?..or have I missed something.....What a ridiculous statement.

Curbishleys last managerial role was 2008 when he set the world alight with West Ham.

We are going for a top catagory development squad licence, Gus is involved with the club at all levels and works 24/7 getting it right, look at the new doctor he has bought in, getting the youth team to play in the first team style, he has a vision of how football should be played and more and more clubs are taking this approach due to quality pitchs.

If we could even get Curbs interested i.e wages, then how do we deliver the sort of budget he had at West Ham. Would we need to change the system i.e one big forward, packed midfield and hoof defence or has Curb been studying/learning in his absence.

I liked him as a player for us and would have snapped your arm off two seasons ago but his time has possibly been.

I am amazed no one mentions Coppell, he was first choice over Gus, manages teams on a very tight budget and has a track record. Having watched them both around the club I would have Gus any day. I hope when the day comes Tony picks another new fresh face with the same drive and passion to get it right.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
I find all this talk of the Premier league a touch worrying. Yes we have a nice new ground, a large number of season tickets have been sold and spent big (when compared to our previous transfer budgets) in the summer, but look at the teams around, and below us. In the top half of the table only us, Cardiff, Saints have not been in the premier league in the last ten years, our budget must be one of the lowest in the league and this division is extremely competitive. Look how much Leicester spent in the summer and they are still below us.

I am concerned that if we are not tearing the Championship up next year a lot of fans will start getting on the team's back. We have done fantastically well this year and if we are in a similar position this time next year it will be another great season. For a lot of our squad this is their first season in this divison so they are still learning (as is the management) and for the past 20 odd years we have been a team in the bottom two divisions. I am not saying we shouldn't be ambitious but there are so many bigger teams, better equipped to get out of this division than we are so if we don't do a Reading or Saints next year it mustn't been seen as a failure.

We should be more than happy if Gus' long term plan for promotion is just that...long term.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Dick Knight was the one who kept Ray Bloom on the board when he rescued the Albion from the evil axis. Knight worked hand in hand with Bloom throughout the Withdean years selling some of our players and taking money from Tony to keep us going. Bloom waited until Perry & Knight had won the planning battle before taking over. It was a combined effort from both chairmen so don't rewrite history to suit yourself.
As I have just posted on another thread, Bloom is a very intelligent astute businessman & if he thinks Poyet can still do a job then he'll keep him here. If he doesn't he'll sack him in the same way that Ken Brown and before that Stephenson were. In Bloom we trust.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
The point is not all about getting to the prem,the point is the club has moved on from the dark days so no need to keep bleeting on about it all the time.If everyone thought this way we would have no expectations.

So are you saying that sitting 8th in our 1st season back in this league shows a lack of expectation, or do you agree that overall this season has been a success?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here