Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hurricane Milton, Florida

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
West coast of Florida is set to be hit by yet another hurricane hurtling across the Gulf. Floridians and residents of Georgia are still cleaning up after Hurricane Helene which killed at least 232 people a few weeks ago (the deadliest since Katrina) and has left many areas still flooded.

It is currently a Cat 5 and growing in size.

The Hurricane Centre says Milton is expected to make landfall on Wednesday by which time it could be have been downgraded to a Cat 3. Even so “Milton has the potential to be one of the most destructive hurricanes on record for west-central Florida,” according to forecasters.

While this is still ‘normal’ hurricane season for the States (and there’s no data to suggest they are increasing in number due to CC), the rapid increase in intensity from a Tropical Storm to a Category 5 Hurricane in just 24 hours is being directly attributed to climate change and is a cause of ‘astonishment’ for climatologists.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Horrible to see this happening again in a place we consider a second home.
My mates son is currently undergoing intensive chemo for bone cancer in Tampa, so all my thoughts are with them right now, and hoping they all stay safe.
I hope he is too FP and sorry to hear he has cancer - a few hospitals transferring patients but most staying open apparently.

Dec 29, 2011
You've gotta be kinda thankful these huge hurricanes mostly make landfall in the country most economically able to deal with it. Imagine Bangladesh or India was pounded by Cat 5 tornadoes year after year, the level of destruction and lives lost would be an order of magnitude higher.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
What will make this Hurricane potentially more dangerous , is the amount of loose Debris still around from Hurricane Helene two weeks ago .

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
This is just horrific for the people of central Florida who are in line for a direct hit if Milton stays on its current course. Milton has re-intensified and is back up to a Cat 5. It is also forecast to double in size - it looks pretty massive already.
What will make this Hurricane potentially more dangerous , is the amount of loose Debris still around from Hurricane Helene two weeks ago .

It will definitely be a deadly threat with the wind turning everything into projectiles - there are often tornadoes that follow in the outer bands of Hurricanes too. Storm surges could become more deadly as mountains of rubble gets swept up in flood waters which is something causing a lot of concern.

IMG_1310.jpeg

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
We live near Stuart on the East coast. We are now in a Hurricane Warning on the south side of the cone/track. On Thursday we are expecting sustained winds of 30+ mph and gusts up to 60mph for most of the day. On the last forecast we will be about 65 miles south of the hurricane. Main issue will be power outages and local flooding. We live next to a local cove off the river and we might get a small storm surge. This state has one of the highest population of boat owners in the USA (me included) who are getting nervous. The only saving grace is we live on the first floor 20ft above ground. If we get flooded then I expect to see Noah floating around. Updates from the front line as and when able.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
We live near Stuart on the East coast. We are now in a Hurricane Warning on the south side of the cone/track. On Thursday we are expecting sustained winds of 30+ mph and gusts up to 60mph for most of the day. On the last forecast we will be about 65 miles south of the hurricane. Main issue will be power outages and local flooding. We live next to a local cove off the river and we might get a small storm surge. This state has one of the highest population of boat owners in the USA (me included) who are getting nervous. The only saving grace is we live on the first floor 20ft above ground. If we get flooded then I expect to see Noah floating around. Updates from the front line as and when able.
🙏🏼

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Lovely part of the world - we stayed in Port St Lucie for 10 days or so a few years back.

As you suggest, being on the south side of the eye should help you on the east coast. Those on the north won't be so lucky, as the anriclockwise rotation will see the hurricane pushing back towards the shore for greater storm surge.

We've been very fortunate and visited Florida a fair bit over the years, mainly in August and we've had a few flirtations with hurricanes but nothing too bad. I find the whole thing captivating. I was switching between the Weather Channel (dodgy stresm) and Ryan Hall Y'All (on YouTube) all through yesterday evening.

As compelling viewing as it is, this is going to be horrific around 24 hours from now and people are going to lose their lives 😔

abc

Jan 6, 2007
They’ll still vote for climate change denier Donald next month.

The problem, as always, is that extreme weather such as hurricanes are nothing new. Sceptics cite this, whilst change activists claim the opposite. World leaders must actually lead on this but Trump will not

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You've gotta be kinda thankful these huge hurricanes mostly make landfall in the country most economically able to deal with it. Imagine Bangladesh or India was pounded by Cat 5 tornadoes year after year, the level of destruction and lives lost would be an order of magnitude higher.
Plenty of countries are dealing with storms like Florida is experiencing. Places like the Philippines and Mozambique with far greater human and infrastructure impact. They just don’t get media attention in the UK

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
My mum is in her mid 70’s & is right on the path in a place called Largo. She’s on an over 65’s mobile home park, but is sheltering in the site office as it’s a concrete block with only one small window.

Last time they had to do this, all power was lost so I didn’t hear from until a fortnight afterwards.

Honestly. I’m bloody terrified.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Maybe not so much India and Bangladesh but Indonesia, Phillipines, Taiwan etc. certainly get battered on a fairly regular basis. Has piqued my interest now as to why the atlantic and pacific get so many but not so much the Indian ocean.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The problem, as always, is that extreme weather such as hurricanes are nothing new. Sceptics cite this, whilst change activists claim the opposite. World leaders must actually lead on this but Trump will not
Not when the Republican Party is home to nutters like Marjorie Taylor Greene spouting off that the Democrats control the weather and implying the hurricanes have intentionally been sent to red states.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Plenty of countries are dealing with storms like Florida is experiencing. Places like the Philippines and Mozambique with far greater human and infrastructure impact. They just don’t get media attention in the UK
Typhoons in Asia are just as destructive as hurricanes are in the west, yet we rarely hear their names unlike the American hurricanes.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
They’ll still vote for climate change denier Donald next month.
Yeah, they'll either keep denying Climate Change in spite of the severity of events like hurricane Milton, or blame it on the 'Woke Radical Left and Commie Kamala' :shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here