Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has Dunk peaked?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I have been a big supporter of Dunk over the years but I think you could make a strong argument that if Burn had stayed then he would/should have kept his position over Dunk because he was playing so well as a defender and more importantly he changed the style of play so we were quicker going forward with less tippy tappy at the back.

Thought the club was wrong to sell Burn but its not me that makes decisions but surprised that Potter let it happen as he fits his style of play better than Dunk ( though he always used to bring the ball forward and play great long passes)

Haven't seen the sending off so can't comment on what happened tonight.

All players make mistakes

We’ve lost two of our three best CBs in terms of transition- White (beating the press, long range passing) and Burn (gaining very quick ground). We now have Webster plus the (brilliant defensively but) more unsuited Dunk and Duffy plus Veltman. Obviously D and D would never let us down, and obviously they are legends, but I’m pretty sure one of the forst jobs for the new DOfF will be identifying CBS who fit in a bit better with what Potter is trying to do here. (I very much hope Dunk spends the rest of his career here)

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
We’ve lost two of our three best CBs in terms of transition- White (beating the press, long range passing) and Burn (gaining very quick ground). We now have Webster plus the (brilliant defensively but) more unsuited Dunk and Duffy plus Veltman. Obviously D and D would never let us down, and obviously they are legends, but I’m pretty sure one of the forst jobs for the new DOfF will be identifying CBS who fit in a bit better with what Potter is trying to do here. (I very much hope Dunk spends the rest of his career here)

The White sale was always going to happen and I supported that but the Burn sale didn't really seem right.

I do hope Dunk uses the time off to get a bit fitter and to try to get back to where he was.

The original question was has he peaked and I would say the answer is yes because he is not going to change the way he thinks nor improve his physical condition , the question is can he maintain what he had but one mistake doesn't mean he is finished.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Players have off days, off moments, make odd mistakes but Dunk peaked? Absolutely not.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I look forward to this thread bouncing back to the top next time he plays a blinder. Silly mistake. Contentious red. It happens.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No - he’s returning from injury, and looks like he’s not fully recovered.

Now gets a chance for further recuperation - not a bad thing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Been consistently superb for a couple of years now. I think he’s allowed a couple of dodgy performances coming back from injury.

As others have said, Bissouma was much worse all round last night, but none of us are questioning whether he’s up to it or not.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No - he’s returning from injury, and looks like he’s not fully recovered.

Now gets a chance for further recuperation - not a bad thing.

3rd game back from a knee problem - it’s always going to take a few games to get to match fitness. 3 away games too which with travelling, not sleeping in your own bed etc makes it even harder.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
He has been playing with strapping on his knee as well, which seems questionable, given the lengths we've gone to to protect Lamptey

I'm hoping Duffy comes in against Burnley. Him and Weghorst should be a great contest

wokingone

Jul 15, 2003
Exeter
A player has a below par game for whatever reason (mostly we don't know) and next day there is always a 'has he peaked', or 'time to get rid' or worse type of thread. I would hate to have that level of scrutiny every time I walked into the office...:rant: Sometimes the opposition is good or even world class, sometimes people make mistakes...

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
A player has a below par game for whatever reason (mostly we don't know) and next day there is always a 'has he peaked', or 'time to get rid' or worse type of thread. I would hate to have that level of scrutiny every time I walked into the office...:rant: Sometimes the opposition is good or even world class, sometimes people make mistakes...
I asked a question after questionable form before injury and after. I never once said time to get rid.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
We dont really have any choices now that we have sold Burn,... but I have openly said in the last two seasons that Dunk is a lunger, he throws himself recklessly into contact and blocks. Useful at times, but absolutely the reason why Southgate hasn't, and doesn't consider him for an England spot anymore.

I believe he will find the bench warm next season, if he doesn't move on.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We dont really have any choices now that we have sold Burn,... but I have openly said in the last two seasons that Dunk is a lunger, he throws himself recklessly into contact and blocks. Useful at times, but absolutely the reason why Southgate hasn't, and doesn't consider him for an England spot anymore.

I believe he will find the bench warm next season, if he doesn't move on.

Let's try having a centre half who doesn't throw themselves into contact and blocks and see what happens to our goals against column then

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If you want to use a 3 game sample size, sure.

I'm not. Harsh maybe, but the reason he hasn't made it into the England squad, nor improved in the last few seasons or has peaked, if you like, IMHO, is that he makes rash/ill considered game changing decisions.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm not. Harsh maybe, but the reason he hasn't made it into the England squad, nor improved in the last few seasons or has peaked, if you like, IMHO, is that he makes rash/ill considered game changing decisions.

I do agree - he has always had it in his locker and although we see it fairly less frequently now he is still prone to a rash tackle that results in a penalty or red card.

Compare Dunk to Webster.

Dunk 356 Games - 9 Red Cards
Webster 254 Games - 2 Red Cards

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
May be a silly thread but Dan Burn was our most consistent defender this season until we sold him.

Gave much better balance being left footed and worked well with Marc C.

Although Lewis getting back from injury letting five goals against Spurs and Man U is a big difference compared with two in two games against Chelsea with BDB!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It is possible to lose a game without needing a scapegoat though surely ?
It's a discussion site, surely opinion and disagreement is allowed, or is NSC going to adopt the cancel culture for those not following the party line?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here