Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Good Bye Great Britain

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Does this mean I am no longer British, so what is a citizen of the United Kingdom called ?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I get the feeling this is a bigger story than made out. It starts with all vehicles that travel to Europe now have, by law, to remove any Euro flags and GB stickers and replace them with a UK sticker (and we know how much French Police love an on the spot fine). This includes number plates with the Euro flag - illegal.
But why? Are we no longer called Great Britain? Has that name been removed under Brexit rules?
What's wrong with keeping the GB sticker?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
GB has always been an island, not a country, hasn’t it?

its both. correct country title is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (nee Ireland). Great Britain is the union of England and Scotland. the island is also called Great Britain.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
GB is the union of England, Wales and Scotland?

Wales was annexed to England, lock stock and legal barrel in 1500-somthing. so when the union is formed in 1707 there is formally the kingdom of England and the kingdom of Scotland.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I get the feeling this is a bigger story than made out. It starts with all vehicles that travel to Europe now have, by law, to remove any Euro flags and GB stickers and replace them with a UK sticker (and we know how much French Police love an on the spot fine). This includes number plates with the Euro flag - illegal.
But why? Are we no longer called Great Britain? Has that name been removed under Brexit rules?
Maybe the EU is just saying as we're no longer part of the EU, we're not entitled to wave their flag any more? That'll upset a few people (and I don't mean Daily Mail readers either!)

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
We're not very united United Kingdom are we?

Spudgun and the SNP, the Welsh separatists and the NI lot that want us to leave them alone, don't make me feel very 'united' tbh.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Are there any other examples of places that use 'Great', or equivalent in their languages, to describe a place the size of GB?

There is.

I live in the Greater City of Geelong. Which encompasses not only the city but the surrounding areas as well.

It's used in that way for a few cities here.

Not the same size, but along the same concept of grouping into a collective term.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

No, it’s not the EU, but our government that asked for it according to the 1968 Vienna Convention Road Traffic Act. The United Nations revealed it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-uk-cars-id-cards-b1929256.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58734265

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Does this mean I am no longer British, so what is a citizen of the United Kingdom called ?

British. Have a look at your passport. You come from the U.K and are British.

Poor old England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland(I pressume...) don't get a look in officially. Although unofficially Britain doesn't get a look in as most people I know will say they're from England/Scotland etc or the U.K. Very few say they come form Great Britain.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
A Department for Transport spokesperson said: "Changing the national identifier from GB to UK symbolises our unity as a nation and is part of a wider move towards using the UK signifier across government.

Yeah, feel really ****ing unified now my car needs a UK sticker in France, felt so disjointed with GB on the boot. How about they address the chances of me actually being able to fill the ****ing car up with fuel to get there, instead of making another problem for me if I ever get to Calais?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
People saying it's not a big deal, but sounds like a carefully orchestrated attempt by the government to get people to remove European flags from their cars. It's not about the GB/UK issue at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here