Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But the hard FACTS are that this current government has increased our national debt massively - far more so than any Labour one in history. Why ignore that?

likewise, why continue with this line of argument when the spending is on healthcare, welfare, pensions, education, etc that no one wants spending cuts? people will point at "tax cuts for the rich", overlooking they amount to 2-3bn, while welfare legacy of Brown leave us with 30bn a year bill for tax credits.

with the apparent popularity of Labour's new spending plans (50bn a year deficit), it seems the public are happy with debt, yet its still something to beat the current government with... so Tory debt is bad, Labour debt is good?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
The 2015 General Election thread (click here) is a beautiful, beautiful thing right from the very beginning with gems like:

We then got ready for the result...

Then, at 10pm, the exit poll came:

Then you went into denial:

Then more denial:

No one enjoyed it though. Oh no.

All over the place you say:

So, you asked about the 2015 exit poll. You are right, it was wrong. It said Conservative 316 (they got 331), Labour 239 (they got 232).

It's as the ComRes man said: every poll since 1983 has underestimated Tory support at the ballot box. And the more the left call right voters evil, nasty, selfish and thick, the pollsters are going to have to keep trying to estimate the effect of shy Tory-ness and hope they get it right.

And after the dust had settled we got (or continued to get);

rising poverty, rising child poverty, the longest decline in wages since records began, Brexit (FFS), £20bn in NHS cuts, the systematic abuse of disabled people, corporations paying less tax than their employees, most unaffordable homes ever, a huge rise in food bank dependency and police cuts (to name a few).

Hope the champers was worth it Bozza.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
But the hard FACTS are that this current government has increased our national debt massively - far more so than any Labour one in history. Why ignore that?

In defence of the Tories I don't think Labour would have done any better.

If we want better services without piling on more and more debt on public finances, individuals and business need to pay more tax.

D

Deleted member 22389

In defence of the Tories I don't think Labour would have done any better.

If we want better services without piling on more and more debt on public finances, individuals and business need to pay more tax.

Well all need to pay more.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
likewise, why continue with this line of argument when the spending is on healthcare, welfare, pensions, education, etc that no one wants spending cuts? people will point at "tax cuts for the rich", overlooking they amount to 2-3bn, while welfare legacy of Brown leave us with 30bn a year bill for tax credits.

with the apparent popularity of Labour's new spending plans (50bn a year deficit), it seems the public are happy with debt, yet its still something to beat the current government with... so Tory debt is bad, Labour debt is good?

I think people are quite right to point out the economic failings of the Tories. People keep beating Labour with the same old tired rhetoric about the economy yet the Tories have been just as inadequate. It also wouldn't be as bad (for the Tories) if they hadn't said they'd eradicate the deficit by 2015 and subsequently used this as the basis for austerity, which has simply succeeded in transferring more wealth to those at the top.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I will tell you why Tory voters vote the way they do.......... and I am going to enlighten you right now.....it is because all politicians are liars....all of them, left, right, centre they all in the end, they promise the earth and yet when they get power let you down....if you think your life will change if JC is in Number 10 on June 9th you are wrong it is you and only you that has the ability to do that.

To me the left and even more so under Corbyn promise everything and if he gets in, I can assure you he will not be able to deliver, because he is promising far far far too much and that is why if I voted for him, he would let me down even more (just as Blair did when I voted for him). At the moment (and my mind could still change before polling day) I actually believe promising less, speaking as the state of country is (i.e still with a huge debt and Brexit to deal with) is better (a la Cons) than promising massive spending increases on almost everything, the country is just not in a position to do so, right now, because of the two pressing reasons I have listed.

The Tories lies are actually less bad than the Labour lies...it is not because the Tories are any good (there are lots I do not agree with and I much prefered the Cameron/Clegg combo to May on her own), it is because they are the least worse.

Going back to your post less than 10 years ago, some Labour (and also Cons, but less) MP's went to JAIL for fiddling their parliamentary expenses, don't try and accuse one side or the other, left or right, they all will let you down. You should rein in your comments (really for your own sanity and reality, as you may well be upset on the morning after the election) he is not evil, he is just an MP trying to do what he thinks is best in a civilised democratic society (be that right or wrong in yours or mine eyes).....evil is what happened in Manchester last week and also what happened to Jo Cox too about a year ago.

A good post.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
So you would rather that people who have benefits reduced, delayed or are in severe poverty should gowithout food due to your dislike of Labour and we shouldn't really be caring for our society. What next the NHS a Labour idea assume you also disagree with that also.

Not everyone wants to live in your far right utopia

The NHS was the idea of Beveridge who was a Liberal politician. All three parties campaigned at the 1945 election for its creation and the winner, Labour, implemented it.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
If the majority was that 'healthy', May wouldn't be dragging us all through another election in pursuit of a bigger one.

Quite.

She isn't strong enough to lead with a healthy majority so she is hoping for a landslide.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think people are quite right to point out the economic failings of the Tories. People keep beating Labour with the same old tired rhetoric about the economy yet the Tories have been just as inadequate. It also wouldn't be as bad (for the Tories) if they hadn't said they'd eradicate the deficit by 2015 and subsequently used this as the basis for austerity, which has simply succeeded in transferring more wealth to those at the top.

Have to agree with this. It's difficult to understand the rationale for reduced public spending at a time of low interest rates. This is certainly a factor in increasing inequality as disproportionate hardship falls on poorer families leaving the wealthier to invest in and benefit from asset price growth. The private sector is borrowing to invest so why not the public sector ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think people are quite right to point out the economic failings of the Tories.

its quite fair to highlight their failure to meet their own targets, to grow the economy productively etc. but its daft to drag up the debt when its a legacy of previous spending commitments and contradicts opposition to cuts. fact is the "austerity" lasted first couple of years since when cuts have been salami slicing budgets to small real terms cuts, sometimes reducing future increases.

the original strategy was to keep a lid on increase spending and let the economy catch up itself, which is just about has/will in the next year or two. Labour's solution is to borrow tens of billions to artificially inflate the economy. one approach has us eventually reducing the debt, the other has us deciding not to care about debt anymore as long as everything keeps growing. one has proven to take longer than expected and hurt more than it should have in the short/medium term, the other is proven (elsewhere in time and geography) to lead to great economic hardship in the long term.

and other point... there is little to no government policy that has transferred wealth to the top. most fiscal policy has impacted greatest on the lowest and highest incomes (i may look for the graph later, its out there). the increase in wealth for the top decile is largely down to asset price inflation from monetary policy - QE. about the only contradiction is the reduction in top rate tax, and lowering corporation tax (which is paid by all eventually in lower wages, lower dividends). austerity does not increase income or wealth for anyone.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Good, especially pleased that Geldof and Lineaker are losing out.

Coming from the Daily Mail, LOL...

I thought you would be pleased, surely the left don't support stars evading paying tax.

I might be wrong, but I presume he was referring to the disgusting hypocrisy of The Daily Mail ranting about tax avoidance, when it is itself registered in Jersey, and its owner despite living in a stately home in Wiltshire claims nom-dom status to protect his £800m fortune?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here