Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FourFourTwo Preview

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I think you might see a very compressed table. Is there really a pair of 90-point-run-away-and-hide teams in there?

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
The Racing Post has a free 72-page guide to the new 2012-13 season today.

They tip Cardiff City (12/1) and Hull City (28/1) each-way.

Not much of a write up on Brighton; the only comment is The Seagulls fell away after a bright start last season ending up nine points outside the play-offs. Tomasz Kuszczak's arrival will strenghthen the goalkeeping position and may help Brighton to get closer to the top six.

I think the Racing Post have picked well.

Cardiff have already bought well (Bo Kyung-Kim in particular) and have kept the likes of Whittingham and Cowie on board as well. If Bellamy rejoins them too, they could go very, very close.

As for Hull, I think 28/1 is a very good each way bet. They were, like us, in the playoff mix until the final 3/4 games last season. They've kept hold of their mean defence, have added a couple of promising loanees from Man United, and both Aluko and their big-money signing from Germany could be absolutely anything. Mind you, they do have Steve Bruce in charge, which must be a hindrance more than anything.

Did the Racing Post make any relegation betting selections?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think the Racing Post have picked well.

Cardiff have already bought well (Bo Kyung-Kim in particular) and have kept the likes of Whittingham and Cowie on board as well. If Bellamy rejoins them too, they could go very, very close.

As for Hull, I think 28/1 is a very good each way bet. They were, like us, in the playoff mix until the final 3/4 games last season. They've kept hold of their mean defence, have added a couple of promising loanees from Man United, and both Aluko and their big-money signing from Germany could be absolutely anything. Mind you, they do have Steve Bruce in charge, which must be a hindrance more than anything.

Hull; looked good in patches last season but their chance conversion rate is low and they do not create all that many chances either. I think Bruce is a good manager but is dour and defensive.

I rate Middlesbrough and Brighton. Leeds and Cardiff will be in the reckoning.

Middlesbrough are predicted 10th, for those interested.

Of the other teams mentiond here. Derby are down for 17th and Blackpool for 9th.

The full order is:

1) Bolton
2) Leeds
----------------------
3) Leicester
4) Wolves
5) Albion
6) Blackburn
-----------------------
7) Birmingham
8) Cardiff
9) Blackpool
10) Middlesbrough
11) Forest
12) Wednesday
13) Charlton
14) Ipswich
15) Watford
16) Hull
17) Derby
18) Huddersfield
19) Burnley
20) Palace
21) Peterborough
----------------------
22) Millwall
23) Bristol City
24) Barnsley

Obviously done by a Palace fan to have them that high up.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Have Leeds spent or are they 2nd because of the Warnock factor?

Leeds are there because they are one of those Championship clubs an important national journalist has actually heard of. The way you do these predictions is pick the three clubs that have come down, add a couple of important-sounding sides and then throw in a wildcard and hope.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
All sounds about right. Our massively strengthened defence will lead to a freed up midfield and more chances/goals.
Seems to be just you can be that can see this. I feel like banging my head against the wall. We have numerous capable goalscorers.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I like the look of Bolton and Blackburn,
.... made some good signings... and have a big Prem record, experience and more importantly funding.

Can't see either of those things helping at all in the Championship; in fact I'd say the opposite.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
1. Blackburn
2. Wolves
3. Birmingham
4. Bolton
5. Nottingham Forest
6. Leicester
7. Cardiff
8. Middlesbrough
9. Brighton
10. Sheff Weds
11. Hull
12. Huddersfield
13. Blackpool
14. Leeds
15. Ipswich
16. Peterborough
17. Millwall
18. Crystal Palace
19. Derby
20. Watford
21. Barnsley
22. Charlton
23. Bristol City
24. Burnley

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath

Barnsley (13/8) - who they say are a certainty to go down. Ricardo Vaz Te was their best player by miles before his January transfer to West Ham. Their signings don't look Championship standard apart from the lazy ex-Tottenham and Sunderland forward Mido.

Nottingham Forest (14/1) - The managerial appointment of Sean O'Driscoll left fans a bit underwhelmed and their new signings of Greg Halford, Dan Harding, Danny Collins and Adlene Guedioura look solid rather than spectacular second tier performers. They don't look any stronger than the side that finished 19th last season.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Surprised at people tipping Huddersfield to be near the bottom. They're spending plenty of money- OK, some has gone on crap like Sean Scannell, but they're heavily linked to some very decent players too. McCormack being one of them. That would piss Leeds right off.
They haven't spent loads of money,they relied on rhodes last season and just scraped up in an average league 1.I don't expect them to be top half to be honest.

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Would be happy with 5th. place,love to see Palarse bottom and what is it with Leeds? every pundit seems to think they have some divine right to go back to the Prem. Personally I think they are overrated shite.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
On another note we are rather weak up front which is very worrying:(

People were saying exactly the same just before our League One winning season. I don't agree, we have at least 4 players capable of 15+ goals.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Leeds are there because they are one of those Championship clubs an important national journalist has actually heard of. The way you do these predictions is pick the three clubs that have come down, add a couple of important-sounding sides and then throw in a wildcard and hope.

To be fair, in the Championship, that's as good a strategy as any. Everybody's so closely matched it's a bloody lottery. I don't have the faintest idea who's going to finish top three - look at last season. You'd have backed West Ham to challenge, but Southampton and Reading? I had them as strong squads, but not stand-out bets for promotion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here