Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For the withdean regulars

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I wasn't there but to go 2-0 down in 5 minutes and pull it back to 1-2 and end up with 10 men would suggest that they do care and that they are playing for the manager who has not lost the dressing room.

But as I said I wasn't there and chose to watch the rugby rather than subject myself to Seagull's World :(

I'm abroad before anyone suggests I should have been there if I care.

Goring Gull said:
Do they players look they are trying?
I think so,they're just not good enough,apart from the first five minutes of madness yesterday they looked like they were trying,they just lack the quality,bypassing the mid field all the time,nothing up front,allthough Joe Gatting deserves something of a mention,he did ok I think,lot of pressure on the young lad.We are litterally 2 players away from being a mediocre boring mid table team,you cann't force players to join this club,it's a problem we will suffer till the first match at Falmer.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
My son went yesterday (I'm abroad) and said that we played well in the second half. After we scored we could have had a pen and then had a further 2 chances to equalise. If we had, who knows what that would have done to Leicester's confidence.

I followed it on Seagulls World and the match stats were interesting. At half time the posession was 70-30 to Leicester with them also leading 3-0 in on-goal chances. In the second half the overall posession was 45-55 to Leicester (which meant we had the half about 60-40) with overall chances 3-4 to Leicester.

OK, so it's only stats, but it does show how the game went. The really scary bit was the 70-30 half time posession. That's the sort of thing you expect to see when one team completely outclasses the other.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
There's no doubt they're trying. Trying very hard in very difficult and depressing circumstances. A shit pitch, a shit ground and fans who make as much noise as the average county cricket match (apart from when they're moaning).

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Trying yes..
Lacking urgency... i'm afraid so

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
Jam The Man said:
Trying yes..
Lacking urgency... i'm afraid so

What they said plus...lack of.... leadership,commitment,game plan, Championship level players with necessary skill & fitness.

:(

Last edited:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I thought there was two bad defensive blunders in the first 5 minutes and after that we controlled the game.
I also thought we looked more dangerous when Robinson and Gatting paired up. In fact a more experienced Gatting may have won the game for us in the last 15 mins.
I thought that was a plus from the game yesterday, Gatting and Robinson. Showed a bit of promise.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Goring Gull said:

Yes, IMHO. The likes of El-Abd, McShane and Carole throw themselves into the game like their lives depended on it. But without a proper striker doing the business up front, they're on a hiding to nothing.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Jim D said:
My son went yesterday (I'm abroad) and said that we played well in the second half. After we scored we could have had a pen and then had a further 2 chances to equalise. If we had, who knows what that would have done to Leicester's confidence.

I followed it on Seagulls World and the match stats were interesting. At half time the posession was 70-30 to Leicester with them also leading 3-0 in on-goal chances. In the second half the overall posession was 45-55 to Leicester (which meant we had the half about 60-40) with overall chances 3-4 to Leicester.

OK, so it's only stats, but it does show how the game went. The really scary bit was the 70-30 half time posession. That's the sort of thing you expect to see when one team completely outclasses the other.

These stats are interesting in as much as they provide an indicator as to how much Leicester had left in the tank. In reality they did all that was required to secure the points and so the fact of only losing by the odd goal is therefore scant consolation. The stats just underline the fact that we are, I'm sorry to say, in the main easy pickings thru' lack of quality.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes they tried, but there is a simple explanation to all of this. we are not good enough as a team.

I was looking round yesterday to see if there was one of our players who would easily fit into the Leicester side. I couldn't find one.

That is our problem.

I really do hope that next season in Div 1, we do not hear any more from the owners of the club that "the manager ( whoever that may be) has funds for transfers" because I am 100% convinced there are no moneys available for transfers. In fact I am convinced there are no monies available for loans either, and that is why we are not getting anyone in.

I think it is unfair on MM and the fans to continuously dange this carrot in front of our eyes by suggseting that we can get people in!

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Goring Gull said:

No, they don''t give a shit. They don't mind going down, there all here for the money and nothing else. They've no pride - that's the problem. :jester: :jester: :jester:

Of course they're trying!!!! The problem yesterday might be that they were trying too hard!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
They are trying, not sure if they have belief in themselves any more though.

mid-life Crisis at the madejski said:
Yes they tried, but there is a simple explanation to all of this. we are not good enough as a team.

I was looking round yesterday to see if there was one of our players who would easily fit into the Leicester side. I couldn't find one.

That is our problem.

I really do hope that next season in Div 1, we do not hear any more from the owners of the club that "the manager ( whoever that may be) has funds for transfers" because I am 100% convinced there are no moneys available for transfers. In fact I am convinced there are no monies available for loans either, and that is why we are not getting anyone in.

I think it is unfair on MM and the fans to continuously dange this carrot in front of our eyes by suggseting that we can get people in!

I agree with your first point but your second is just unhelpful speculative guesswork by you.

But on your first point, yes, I was struck at just how good the passing and the technique of the Foxes players were compared to ours. Our squad has come a long way in the past few years, but they are still generally (not everyne) a combination of senior pros left over from our tier 3/4 campaigns or youngsters trying thei best to fit in a this level of football. This is all we can afford and credit to McGhee for at least making a team out of them that has given us two years in tier 2.

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
The team did not settle at kick off whereas Leicester did. The marking for Leicester's first goal was non existent. My feeling was the importance of the match made our boys so nervous they were not doing the basics like marking your man and keeping possesion,

After about 20 minutes they seemed to get a grip but 2 goals down was a big ask. They certainly tried for the rest of the match but they let themselves down in that first 5 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here