Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Foods you wish you had tried sooner.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm a recent convert to seabass. I'm very fussy with fish, but thought I'd give the grilled seabass a go in a restaurant last year, and LLLLLOVED it. Now its my go-to when we go out for some scran.

If someone had told me a year ago that I'd prefer grilled seabass to a steak, I'd have spat on their back.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm nearly 50, I tried olives when I was 8 & Guinness when I was 18 & hated both. I've been trying different types of olives since but at a certain point in my life 18 years ago, just the smell of them made me sick. I can bear the smell now but won't go back to trying them to see if my taste buds have changed!!! Next time I'm in a pub I'll ask for a taster of Guinness to see how that goes. :unsure:

Re the OP, I'm not much of a 'foodie'. I wasn't brought up on a diet of Mussels & Squid but I love them (and Snails), Whelks & Jellied Eels will always be revolting. I used to be always put off of Anchovies as they are usually so salty but I was converted by Arkwrights Deli on Beaconsfield Rd 19 years ago. I think they're still there but don't know if they still sell them. Anchovies in oil rather than brine was a game changer for me. I have a similar relationship with Houmous, I only like the ones from Fiveways Fruits or Sunny Foods, I can't find supermarket brands that match them (I'm talking Asda & Sainsburys).

Actually I do have an answer now, also introduced by the deli... Carrot Cake! My brain could not put carrots and cake together, I think I only bought it as all the choc cake had gone & the only alternative was coffee cake. I really do wish I'd tried it sooner & will take carrot cake over choc cake every time now (unless the carrot cake has walnuts in it, as I'm still fussy). If I have to bake cakes I'll make carrot cake muffins rather than choc muffins. So carrot cake is my answer! :lolol:

p.s. I have no affiliation with the shops I've mentioned & the last time I went into one of them was over a year ago for houmous!!
The good news for you is that you've got walnuts to get involved in.

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
I'm a recent convert to seabass. I'm very fussy with fish, but thought I'd give the grilled seabass a go in a restaurant last year, and LLLLLOVED it. Now its my go-to when we go out for some scran.

If someone had told me a year ago that I'd prefer grilled seabass to a steak, I'd have spat on their back.

I'm a recent convert to seabass. I'm very fussy with fish, but thought I'd give the grilled seabass a go in a restaurant last year, and LLLLLOVED it. Now it’s my go-to when we go out for some scran.

It’s Bass not Sea Bass. When I go fishing it’s Bass fishing. Where the introduction of Sea came from god only knows. Nobody goes into a fishmonger asking for Sea Plaice or Sea Squid or Sea Lobster.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It’s Bass not Sea Bass. When I go fishing it’s Bass fishing. Where the introduction of Sea came from god only knows. Nobody goes into a fishmonger asking for Sea Plaice or Sea Squid or Sea Lobster.
Because you can get River Bass?

Can you get River Plaice, River Squid and River Lobster?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well it said Seabass on the menu, so perhaps this should be taken up with the restaurant.

Shrugs GIF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here