Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite really old movies (probably black and white)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Rififi et Son Freres. Absolutely classic French diamond heist film from 1955, most noted for a 45 minutes section of the film passing without dialogue.

The Third Man. Has just about everything in it.

The Graduate. Every frame justifies its inclusion.

The Plank. Slapstick of the highest order.

:)

Last edited:

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
For some reason I love the original 'Goodnight Mr Chips' (I think from the 1940s?)

Love I think because the first time I watched it was when I was living in America about 15 years ago and watched it one wintery afternoon after school and it reminded me of England

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
To kill a mocking bird. Bought it on DVD the other day for a massive 500 yen, or 2 pound 50, bargain.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
For some reason I love the original 'Goodnight Mr Chips' (I think from the 1940s?)

Agreed - Goodbye Mr Chips is quite simply the best film ever made - and with Greer Garson at her loveliest :eek:

also: Passport to Pimlico - genuine Classic
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Theatre of Trees said:
Can't believe nobody has mentioned Brighton Rock.

brighton_rock_17.jpg

brighton rock, then!

agree with ice cold in alex, and whuskey galore.

also- 'a night to remember' (the original, and best?) Titanic movie- the ship still sinks, but has much better storylines, and not a cgi in site, that i can recall.. shame there wasn't kate winslet in it, tho!

the 'original (colour) batman movie is still great, with adam west and burt ward.. now on DVD, andworth every POW! ZAPPing penny!

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Breakfast at Tiffanys

It's a Wonderful Life

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Big Sleep

Cassablanca

In that order!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
On the Waterfront (Brando)

White Heat (Cagney)

Cincinatti Kid (McQueen)

Good call on Goodbye Mr Chips and 12 Angry Men.

(I've never actually seen Citizen Kane! I must rectify that soon)

Stumpy Tim

fatbadger said:
No, it's not - it's based in the immediate post-war period. I'm not just being picky, but the historical context is crucial to the understanding of the film. It is about the suffering experienced by Europeans when the war and the destruction ended - pointing out that the end of the war does not mean the end of suffering, as your average liberal tends to assume.

I never realised that! I should read the back of the DVD box! Still a classic either way

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here