Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite really old movies (probably black and white)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Waterloo Road was a classic.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Not quite as old but the Yanks are planning a re-make of 'The Wicker Man' with Nicholas Cage playing the Woodward part, and instead of it being a remote island off Scotland it's going to be a remote island off..........New England. Sacrilege!
:nono:

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
To Have And Have Not

Afican Queen

Casablanca

Key Largo

Tokyo Joe

All classics and all starring the man who was Bryan Ferry's inspiration for his 'look' of the 70s. Not to mention a good helping of Lauren Bacall:love: possibly one of the sexiest women film stars ever. "You do know how to whistle don't you? You just put your lips together and blow".

have.jpg

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Calamity Jane is a classic of sorts.

As are Oklahoma and South Pacific-ee by 'eck, they don't make 'em like that anymore!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Les Enfants du Paradis - my favourite film of all time. I love other Carne films though: Quai des Brumes especially. L'Atalante is a good call, FB, how about Zéro de Conduit too? Also love Bresson's films, especially Un Condamné à mort s'est échappé

All the Hollywood films noirs: White Heat, Double Indemnity, etc

Citizen Kane (of course) but other Welles' masterpieces: Lady from Shanghai and Touch of Evil.

The 40s and 50s were Hitchcock's best years too

And not forgetting classic British films: The Third Man, Brighton Rock, Kind Hearts and Coronets and my favourite horror movie of all time, Dead of Night. And my second favourite film of all time, Sweet Smell of Success - directed by a Brit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Failsafe, Peter Fonda & Larry Hagman, very tense. I haven't dare watch the remake.

Angel's With Dirty Faces, classic Cagney.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I like the old musicals

Singing in the rain
King & I
Calamity Jane
My favourite of all time is High Society.

I also like Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne films and all the Ealing Comedies (Lavendar Hill Mob, Passport to Pimlico etc)

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
Casablanca
The Third Man
The Happiest days of our lives

Out of curiosity there was also a film a few years ago starring Liam Neeson set in Brighton. Great film with a teriffic ending but I am dammed if I can remember the name. Can anybody help.

Stumpy Tim said:
The Bicycle ... [is] an Italian film set in the Depression in the 30's.

No, it's not - it's based in the immediate post-war period. I'm not just being picky, but the historical context is crucial to the understanding of the film. It is about the suffering experienced by Europeans when the war and the destruction ended - pointing out that the end of the war does not mean the end of suffering, as your average liberal tends to assume.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Shegull said:

Out of curiosity there was also a film a few years ago starring Liam Neeson set in Brighton. Great film with a teriffic ending but I am dammed if I can remember the name. Can anybody help.

Under Suspicion

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
A mater of life and death
seven samuri
chitty chitty bang bang
Robin Hood (Errol Flynn)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here