Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite really old movies (probably black and white)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seeing Easy 10's slating of a remake of what was a good film - The Flight of the Phoenix reminded me of another classic that could never be remade succesfully - Ice Cold in Alex, the type of people portrayed just get laughed at today.

The Lady Killers was also a great film but I haven't heard too many good things about the remake.

Anyway what's your favourite old (and I'm talking 30 +years, not 5 years ago :lol:)

North by North West and Psycho are two that spring to mind

What others?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
12 Angry Men - mesmerising film, absolutely compelling.

Night of the Demon - one of the most brown-trouser experiences of my young life when I saw it on TV late one night.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
I just loved the classic horror fims from Universal.

Who can forget our friends Dracula, Frankensteins Monster and The Wolfman. What about our bandaged icon The Mummy.

I especially like the films which united all three monsters. Classics like the House of Dracula and The House of Frankentsien.

Anyone else share this horror fetish of mine?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Cruel Sea

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Harvey and pretty much every Jimmy Stewart movie

Arsenic and Old Lace
HIs Girl Friday
Cat and the Canary
School for Scoundrels

A Day at the Races
A night at the opera

Good shout for 12 Angry Men

I bought 'A Matter of Life and Death' the other day that's a brilliant film

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
There was one black and white film that changed the drinking habits of the British nation.

'Ice Cold in Alex', made in about 1958, had one character continually harping on about having a nice larger (a beverage only available on the Continent) and lime when they had come to the end of their gruelling journey through the desert.

Before this film the most common drinks in a pub would be stout, mild, brown or light ale. Lager and lime became the in drink after this film. I bet there are many of you youngsters out there who have never heard of the four beverages mentioned above.

Nowadays, larger rules. Thanks to 'Ice Cold in Alex'.

Last edited:

Trish

Jul 5, 2003
Some Like it Hot
Stagecoach
To Kill a Mockingbird
High Noon
Ice Station Zebra
The Lavender Hill Mob

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
King Kong is one of my all time favourites. there are also some quality films like She wore a Yellow ribbon and the Green Berets both starring John Wayne. Then you have got all the christmas classics like the Great Escape, Escape to Victory, The Eagle has landed and not forgetting all the Disney classics.

mmmm think I am showing my age a bit now so will shut up.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Easy 10 said:
12 Angry Men - mesmerising film, absolutely compelling.

I agree, it's very good.

I also like Dr. Strangelove - a Stanley Kubrik (sp?) film with Peter Sellers playing about five parts. Very funny but also rather worrying and making a point about just how insane the world had become (and how close it was to destroying itself, which it does in the film) in the Cold War.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
marathon man,dirty dozen and quadraphenia

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Can't believe nobody has mentioned Brighton Rock.

brighton_rock_17.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here