Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Enid Blyton, classed as xenophobic.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
But you'll probably find that well over 50% of people employed in adverts nowadays are not white which is hardly representative of the general population; and it's certainly way, way more than 20%. But if it's really what companies want, and they're not being obligated by targets/other pressures, that's fine.

Better contact Lloyds and tell them their research needs updating.https://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/who-we-are/responsible-business/inclusion-and-diversity/ethnicity-in-advertising.html

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
This gets brought up every few years or so. It's true - really easy to prove, if that's what you are looking for. Her books are also sometimes wonderful things too.

I guess it depends how much we want to damn everything someone does for some of the things they do. Sometimes that makes sense - but probably not for artists and writers, with some caveats.

Also you can re-write parts of books, as has already been done with many Blyton books: there is no more Dame Slap's School in The Enchanted Wood, for example.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I assume everyone is happy with English Heritage's updating of information about Rudyard Kipling in highlighting his "racist and imperialist sentiments"?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How how do you explain using a male actor from an ethnic group that traditionally doesn't shave, to advertise shaving products? Hardly a policy that would boost sales I would have thought. Thanks for the free lecture by the way :)

Political correctness gone mad? ???

#prayforthemillionsofoutofworkwhitemiddleclassactors

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I assume everyone is happy with English Heritage's updating of information about Rudyard Kipling in highlighting his "racist and imperialist sentiments"?
There is no problem with being honest - and Kipling, though often a great writer was of his time and of course also very much a friend of Sussex. The point is not whether we mention their views, because we clearly should - but whether we should bin them entirely for having typical views of the time, which we should not.

Giving people information is fine, though. Things that are obvious to us will not be so obvious to future generations. These sort of issues are because people who are younger, mostly, are finding out things that we have known for ages but thought less important.

A more extreme example of this process was what happened in (West) Germany in the 70s and 80s when the younger generation realised that lots of the people in power in the 1950s and 60s had been ex-Nazis and thought the previous generations had at best turned a blind eye to it. In the UK younger people see figures from the time of the British Empire and see them as being complicit in what they see as a great crime (colonialism) and can't understand why the older generation didn't and doesn't share their horror of it and reject these figures.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
At least this thread hasn't been consigned to the bear pit...yet.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I’m going to boycott his cakes now...might even take a knee...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And I'll wear a hairshirt for a week.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
There is no problem with being honest - and Kipling, though often a great writer was of his time and of course also very much a friend of Sussex. The point is not whether we mention their views, because we clearly should - but whether we should bin them entirely for having typical views of the time, which we should not.

Giving people information is fine, though. Things that are obvious to us will not be so obvious to future generations. These sort of issues are because people who are younger, mostly, are finding out things that we have known for ages but thought less important. /QUOTE]

As I was the person mentioning Kipling, I must declare that I agree with the above even though I have reservations about many of his political views.

Perhaps I should have posted the link to his poem about our County yesterday. Let's call it Sussex Day +1.

https://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/kipling/sussex.html

Also remember that before he moved to Burwash he lived at 2 addresses in Rottingdean (but not at the same time).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s political correctness gone mad. You can’t even say you’re English these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I would disagree that Rowling's later books were well written.
OK then, to be specific, the Harry Potter books. Excellently written, one of the first things we noticed when The Philosopher's Stone came out. Haven't read any of her other output - irrational maybe, but fear it would be a let down. Like reading The Hobbit and LOTR and then heading for The Silmarillion and other Tolkien stuff ................ that didn't go well!

By 10 years old you would be getting to a stage where Famous Five would probably be a bit so-so anyway.
OK, 9 years old ............... yes I know they were popular, but I never went looking for them - I read a couple or so, but only when there wasn't much else available (our library didn't have a great number of books, and fiction was strictly rationed at the time!) They never thrilled or inspired me; some other books did.
The casual underlying racism and xenophobia can be recognised and categorised as 'of their time', but the literary merit level is still pretty sh*t!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here