Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

English football and Gus Poyet.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
But, as tonight proved, possession alone doesn't win games, goals do.

I think a combination of "tippy tappy" and quick breaks, mixed up with the occasional long ball, would be an exciting style, rather than all slow build-up and possession, and boring teams into submission :mad:

This.............the long ball to Ballotelli nearly worked several times last night proving there needs to be a mix of styles, Germany play long too sometimes and I think they will probably win it, will be interesting to see how Spain play when pushed, rather than being allowed to boss games.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
That's professional football at this level, for the most part. There are exceptions but it's not the 50's anymore and these fellas are pampered, and Sky and the rest of the popular media have cultivated this attitude. Doesn't take away from the natural skill of any of them just there motivation to apply it to the last drop

I know it's not the 50's anymore. I also know that this group of molly coddled 'professionals' do not deserve the ridiculous amounts of money they get paid when their displays of wealth are more important than their displays on the pitch. Moments like this are driving me away from the game I love. Sadly the genie is out of the bottle (money wise) and we're the mugs that fund the modern day footballer who puts money before everything else.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Eees not complicated! Coaching has to radically change in this country. Kids should not play 11 a side until they are 14. FA coaching manual needs to be ripped up and re written to teach kids how to keep the ball, dribble, keep it on the ground and know when to pass and when it's ok to hit a 30 yard cross field ball. England always look like the ball is a 'hot potato' and can't wait to get rid of it which usually means a missed pass and giving the ball away. Any major international side knows that if you close England down quickly, they will give the ball away cheaply. We seemed to have the team unity and work ethic, just not the skill or technical ability to win convincingly.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Poyet plays more like Spain. Loads of boring passes that do little or nothing, and as boring as hell to watch. The way forward is to play like we did between the fifth and twenty fifth minutes. It was a lack of players capable of playing to the required standard that was the problem, not the style of play. Just as it probably is at Brighton, when we try to play as Poyet wants, without the quality players to execute his plans.

Any system needs the correct quality of players to make it work. I am looking forward to Germany playing to their entertaining style.

Spain have also been playing a lot of longer passes, particularly diagonally to the full-backs, who push up a lot. The reason it can be boring at times is because teams just sit back and hope that they won't score. Personally, I love the way they play. Football is a possession game, and without the ball, you can't score and will get knackered chasing after it. Surely you noticed this last night?

jjt1976

Dec 29, 2009
i have just passed my f.a. coaching badge and the f.a are changing the way that youngsters are coached, they recognise that england are years behind some of the top nations. It isn't going to happen overnight it is going to take 5,10 maybe even 15 years to get it through into the international team, but im confident that it will happen and england will one day again beat the top teams playing football the right way.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
I'm sorry to say this but playing football the right way is playing football the winning way. All is forgiven if you win. Whilst I admire the manner in which Gus has BHA playing football I think that even he would want it mixed up a little bit. First half at Peterborough last season was football played by BHA on the ground but at a pace that I didnt always see from them. I believe, as said above, that he is restricted by the capability of the players he has had and that this may change this season. Perhaps significantly Forster-Caskey played in that game.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We (Brighton) certainly need to up the pace of our passing to achieve greater penetration (in the non-biblical sense)... also, Gus is after a 'player with presence' up front, so expect a plan B next season (hopefully, one that works better than Barn-door / Vokes)...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm sorry to say this but playing football the right way is playing football the winning way. All is forgiven if you win. Whilst I admire the manner in which Gus has BHA playing football I think that even he would want it mixed up a little bit. First half at Peterborough last season was football played by BHA on the ground but at a pace that I didnt always see from them. I believe, as said above, that he is restricted by the capability of the players he has had and that this may change this season. Perhaps significantly Forster-Caskey played in that game.

Unfortunately this is part of the problem with our football, from grass roots up. So many kids at a young age are put into competitive situations week in week out, where they see/feel it is not acceptable to lose, so 'proper' football is never drilled in, instead simple, hoofy, football is encouraged, to 'win' a game.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Good performance from what we have but Hodgeson will go thru the under 21 age groups and sort it out. At least EPL etc now paying attention to likes of Rodgers And Martinez. The zeitgeist is changing for the good with guys like Poyet believing you can play proper footy even at lower levels. It will get better, good talented folk now getting the posts they deserve. If anyone out there still thinks the FA should have chosen a cockney chancer who admits he can't read and write over Hodgeson your sniffing diesel

Thats a good call Martinez and Rodgers,Rodgers plays the 4-2-3-1 style.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here