Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

English football and Gus Poyet.

D

Deleted member 18477

We missed Wilshire. At least he's learning to play the game well at arsenal. Just a shame he's not being made into a winner at the same time! Let's hope the OX can also learn the possession way! Gutted he didn't come on 2nite! In fact he should have started ahead of young!

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
This is why we need to get the academy up and running whilst Gus is still here, so it has his philosophy stamped on it.

Precisely my thinking, some people think it's boring. If I'm honest, I love it. We could be a bit more technical, more dribbling skills like Messi or Ronaldo and utilising that into play. Let's be honest, Messi and Ronaldo are a defender's nightmare. We need to develop this on the ground, '3 R'S' Receive, retain and release. I think we could play more attractive football and still be deadly. But one can only dream.

D

Deleted member 18477

Gus plays the right way. I wanna be entertained and look down my nose at clubs with hit and hope percentages managers. Long live Gus! On the top of the bus!

After 2nite I couldn't agree more! I will be so patient next season with our build up play! It IS the right way!

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
England won't win anything for at least 25 years. English football is more bothered about the Premiership being "the best in the world" than anything else, and most of you muggy c*unts fall for it. It's not the best in the world and neither the England national team will be. Might be harsh but most of you are part of the problem. f*** the way English football is run, we'll never win f*** all. Might be hard to take but it's the truth. The domestic game in England is part of the problem. BUT ENGLAND NEVER LEARNS. TOO MUCH MONEY, TOO MUCH SHIT FOOTBALL, TOO MUCH SKY PROPAGANDA AND TOO MANY PLASTIC FANS READY TO SWALLOW WHATEVER THE MEDIA SAYS. WE WILL NOT WIN ANYTHING.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
The FA need to limit the amount of money which can be spent on foreign players, this would force clubs to focus more on bringing through local talent.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
The 'Spain are boring' camp make me laugh. Particularly the English ones. They can't appreciate the skill and talent it takes to knock it around as they do. You only have to look at England barely stringing 3 passes together to see how good Spain are. They make it look so easy.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The 'Spain are boring' camp make me laugh. Particularly the English ones. They can't appreciate the skill and talent it takes to knock it around as they do. You only have to look at England barely stringing 3 passes together to see how good Spain are. They make it look so easy.

The frightening thing is the number of 'Gus is boring' fans we have who live in the Dark Ages.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone else find themselves screaming at Hart to stop hoofing the ball and pass or throw it to an England player?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Anyone else find themselves screaming at Hart to stop hoofing the ball and pass or throw it to an England player?

Yes, but he was obviously playing to orders to lump it up to Carroll. City like to play it out from the back, probably because most of their players aren't English.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
No amount of money will stop teams like Manure (their manager in particular who has never ever helped the England cause), ruining their players in the course of a season so they come to a Euro or World Cup completely knackered.
-Rooney was embarrasing for the two matches in which he played. Unfit and blowing like a 60 Capstan a day welder after 20 minutes.
-Welbeck scored a great goal but did FA else
-Ashley Young must still be at Heathrow waiting to fly out

Disappointed for Roy Hodgson more than anyone, as I think he is a genuinely decent bloke. He needs support form the PL managers though and I really doubt that many will give it .

JFC for England!

TNBA

TTF

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Nobody forces multimillionaire professional athletes such as Rooney to smoke.

It's a sign of the contempt he has for his profession and the cossetted lifestyle that he has that he chooses to do so.

The only person who would have made any difference last night was Paul Scholes.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
So much wrong with the England game from trying to play the off side trap and failing and the passing was just awful for prem players, the long ball ffs 95 percent went to a Italian player and when carroll did win it it went straight to a Italian player, to watch this sht was boring and frustrating, please please the Gus way has to be the way forward.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yes, but he was obviously playing to orders to lump it up to Carroll. City like to play it out from the back, probably because most of their players aren't English.

The only flaw in the lump it to Carroll theory is that Hart did it throughout the tournament-even when Carroll was on the bench. At least Carroll managed to bring the ball down when required. Now more than ever The Albion are much more important to me-England players don't deserve the support they get and as each tournament let down follows the previous ones my interest in the national side wanes.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Anyone with a brain can see the issue after every single tournament: we can't retain or pass the ball. This is why Hart kicked long every single time he received the ball. There is nothing wrong with mixing it up, the ability to pass needs to be throughout the team. John Terry and Ashley Cole had decent tournaments really, yet neither are trusted to take the ball off the keeper, retain possession and help England move forward with the ball at their feet - possibly because our midfield is so poor at this aspect of the game.

We are a second tier footballing nation with Russia, Sweden and Mexico who happen to have a first tier domestic league. Until we start coaching our players properly, that isn't going to change.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
England players don't deserve the support they get and as each tournament let down follows the previous ones my interest in the national side wanes.
I can't agree with that. They weren't backed fervently until they had exceeded expectations. Don't forget, it was debatable that we'd get out of the group at all. It's just that you can't polish a turd.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Anyone with a brain can see the issue after every single tournament: we can't retain or pass the ball. This is why Hart kicked long every single time he received the ball. There is nothing wrong with mixing it up, the ability to pass needs to be throughout the team. John Terry and Ashley Cole had decent tournaments really, yet neither are trusted to take the ball off the keeper, retain possession and help England move forward with the ball at their feet - possibly because our midfield is so poor at this aspect of the game.

We are a second tier footballing nation with Russia, Sweden and Mexico who happen to have a first tier domestic league. Until we start coaching our players properly, that isn't going to change.

this

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I can't agree with that. They weren't backed fervently until they had exceeded expectations. Don't forget, it was debatable that we'd get out of the group at all. It's just that you can't polish a turd.

I'm not talking backing them fervently as in previous tournaments. The England players (with a couple of exceptions) seem to believe all the hype surrounding them thanks to the publicity machine that is the premier league. Their Billy Big Bollocks attitude is why I think they are undeserving of our support-perfectly illustrated when Ashley Young stepped of the plane wearing those ridiculous blue headphones. Show some respect to the country you are arriving in and take the f***ing things off you dickhead-you should have been focused on the task ahead, not showing off your expensive toys.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm not talking backing them fervently as in previous tournaments. The England players (with a couple of exceptions) seem to believe all the hype surrounding them thanks to the publicity machine that is the premier league. Their Billy Big Bollocks attitude is why I think they are undeserving of our support-perfectly illustrated when Ashley Young stepped of the plane wearing those ridiculous blue headphones. Show some respect to the country you are arriving in and take the f***ing things off you dickhead-you should have been focused on the task ahead, not showing off your expensive toys.

That's professional football at this level, for the most part. There are exceptions but it's not the 50's anymore and these fellas are pampered, and Sky and the rest of the popular media have cultivated this attitude. Doesn't take away from the natural skill of any of them just their motivation to apply it to the last drop

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
After tonight that has to be the way to go ?:thumbsup:

Poyet plays more like Spain. Loads of boring passes that do little or nothing, and as boring as hell to watch. The way forward is to play like we did between the fifth and twenty fifth minutes. It was a lack of players capable of playing to the required standard that was the problem, not the style of play. Just as it probably is at Brighton, when we try to play as Poyet wants, without the quality players to execute his plans.

Any system needs the correct quality of players to make it work. I am looking forward to Germany playing to their entertaining style.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here