Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

English football and Gus Poyet.

Feb 14, 2010
Absolutely and some of us have been saying this for 20 odd years. Thick English coaches telling people to whack the ball up to the big lad up front have held England back for far too long. 5 a side football for our kids until they over 14. But even at Brighton a section of our support have some fixation about buying a big lump stand stand up front to "give another option".You can lead some people to water but you cant make them drink.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
But, as tonight proved, possession alone doesn't win games, goals do.

I think a combination of "tippy tappy" and quick breaks, mixed up with the occasional long ball, would be an exciting style, rather than all slow build-up and possession, and boring teams into submission :mad:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
But, as tonight proved, possession alone doesn't win games, goals do.

:

Oh come on. The Italians didn't score through rank bad finishing and bad luck. Nine times out of ten they would have beaten us by three or four if that match played out the same way.

Spain are champions of Europe and the World and play possession football. How can you argue with that? Of course you need the players who are good enough to do it as with any system.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Rubbish, need a Plan B of lumping it forwards 60 yards in the vague direction of Andy Carroll.

£35 million and not even trusted to take a penalty sums up his ability.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Rubbish, need a Plan B of lumping it forwards 60 yards in the vague direction of Andy Carroll.

£35 million and not even trusted to take a penalty sums up his ability.

I bet he'd have made a better job of it than Cashley and Young.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Good performance from what we have but Hodgeson will go thru the under 21 age groups and sort it out. At least EPL etc now paying attention to likes of Rodgers And Martinez. The zeitgeist is changing for the good with guys like Poyet believing you can play proper footy even at lower levels. It will get better, good talented folk now getting the posts they deserve. If anyone out there still thinks the FA should have chosen a cockney chancer who admits he can't read and write over Hodgeson your sniffing diesel

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
cant say I fully concur with Hodgsons post match analysis

Hodgson insisted "England are on the right path to match the major European forces like Spain, Germany and Italy".

He continued: "If this group of players continues to show the same will and determination to work as a team I'm convinced it won't be that long before we beat a top team in a tournament. And we also have players to come in."

"We've gone out without losing the game and I personally think we've done the country proud.

"I thought the chances were there for both teams. But as the second half wore on, and especially in extra time, we were tiring and they came at us more and more."

i don't think we are on the right path unfortunately. but its the FA's fault, not Hodgson or the players

As long as Premier League teams who want to play European standard football have the money to buy their talent in from established practitioners of the art, there isn't a cat in hell's chance of English football developing the skills needed in players who will qualify for England.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
This is why we need to get the academy up and running whilst Gus is still here, so it has his philosophy stamped on it.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If we can't produce the players I does not matter who's manager. Back to basics. You can't teach talent a person is born with it.

Exactly. Some of the alleged superstars of the Premier League out there tonight apparently couldn't pass the ball ten yards to someone wearing the same colour shirt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here