Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England tonight

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
FIFA are investigating. Hungary have inly just returned from having empty stadia for previous racist chanting/behaviour. Dock them points and ban them from the next Euros or WC plus hefty 7 figure fine. That's shut them damn Magyars up!

TNBA

TTF

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
How to miss the point 101.

Of course condemn it. It is disgusting. So is the idea that we in the west are past it and can view it as a problem ‘over there’. I’ve seen plenty of it on social media and certainly some posts on here.

‘Getting on your high horse’ as you called it or ‘condemning it’ as I called it doesn’t imply anything about similar behaviour over here. It does rather come across that it’s fine for you to speak out but others don’t have the credentials. Defeating racism won’t be achieved until we are all on the same side.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
FIFA are investigating. Hungary have inly just returned from having empty stadia for previous racist chanting/behaviour. Dock them points and ban them from the next Euros or WC plus hefty 7 figure fine. That's shut them damn Magyars up!

TNBA

TTF

I don’t think they have finished their previous ban. That was a UEFA ban and therefore doesn’t apply to FIFA competitions - which seems crazy.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've just seen that Germany are second in their group. ARMENIA are top. WTF?!

The two face each other on Sunday. Imagine if Armenia win. They'd be four points clear of the Germans and at worse three clear at the top of the group. Wowsers.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
‘Getting on your high horse’ as you called it or ‘condemning it’ as I called it doesn’t imply anything about similar behaviour over here. It does rather come across that it’s fine for you to speak out but others don’t have the credentials. Defeating racism won’t be achieved until we are all on the same side.
Totally agree NB but i fear we will never all be on the same side re racism ,at least in my lifetime .But consider this , i am old enough to have worked in a place as a young man where some of my colleagues refused to serve a black man who came to the counter ! i am proud to say that i stepped up . I know that the major difference between me and them was one of education , i had learnt in history lessons about the slave trade in all its appalling detail , they being older had not .So i do feel we as a nation have come a long way and education is the key .
i have no idea what they are being taught in hungary but am guessing racial tolerance is not high on the agenda (probably) !

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
I've just seen that Germany are second in their group. ARMENIA are top. WTF?!

The two face each other on Sunday. Imagine if Armenia win. They'd be four points clear of the Germans and at worse three clear at the top of the group. Wowsers.

They did lose at home to North Macedonia before the EUROs, and only winning 2-0 away against Liechtenstein is a pretty unconvincing result, no matter how you spin it.

That said, that was Hansi Flick's first match though and the Germans might revert to their usual norm sooner or later, probably against the Armenians no less!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Football fans aren't necessarily indicative of an entire population. I sure there are people who visit England for a holiday and then go home and say "Blimey, I used to think the English were all coked-up, drunken, boorish yobs, but actually most of them are quite pleasant."

EDIT: I see Neville's Breakfast beat me to it and made a similar point.

That was actually the point I was trying to make, although I agree on the representation point I was surprise at the polar differences in the football crowd and my experience of Hungarians in general, I have had nothing but great interaction (although I am white). Mind you coke up drunks could look typically british in many major cities on a Saturday night.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
These trips are a reminder about the mass, blatant racism across much of Europe. An entire end in a huge stadium spitting hate towards Sterling.

Widely reported that the Hungary players ran to the Ultra's at one end and clapped them for 5 minutes at the end of the match. Says it all sadly.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
So you didn't wonder why Albion weren't playing at the weekend....mid season trip to Dubai?, extended drinks break, Covid outbreak, or an international break that's happened every September for years!?

Heads up for October and November when you find out Albion aren't playing one weekend, come back to this thread...

I get all my football news from NSC - not sure there was a thread on it (which is indicative in itself), so I never really thought about it. And it was a Thursday - I might have had a think today about 'is it a friendly weekend or something then', and had a look.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Widely reported that the Hungary players ran to the Ultra's at one end and clapped them for 5 minutes at the end of the match. Says it all sadly.

You could see it in the background on the telly when the journalist was doing his post match chat. They looked a bunch of prize plums in their black shirts. As for the players....

Looks like a nation of Das Reichs - 'good blokes', one and all :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

And not tolerating whataboutism.

I heard the comments yesterday about England having it's nob contingent. I don't think it was said as a 'those who live in glass houses' style comment (i.e., until all English racism is gone we can't condemn others) but was meant as a reminder that we need to press down on nobs in Enfland too. Which we do.

:thumbsup:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
And not tolerating whataboutism.

I heard the comments yesterday about England having it's nob contingent. I don't think it was said as a 'those who live in glass houses' style comment (i.e., until all English racism is gone we can't condemn others) but was meant as a reminder that we need to press down on nobs in Enfland too. Which we do.

:thumbsup:

Very much so. Interestingly yesterday’s events also illustrated and reminded of the importance of taking the knee. I was previously ambivalent but am now seeing the power of the gesture. It was also lovely that we stuffed them on the pitch.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not seen any Southgate moans. That said, we all know that if England win the World Cup it will be just papering over the cracks.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You could see it in the background on the telly when the journalist was doing his post match chat. They looked a bunch of prize plums in their black shirts. As for the players....

Looks like a nation of Das Reichs - 'good blokes', one and all :facepalm:

It's a bit more complex than that.

https://www.dw.com/en/hertha-berlin-sack-goalkeeping-coach-over-controversial-comments/a-57107713

Their goalkeeper last night was criticised by a Hungarian Hertha Berlin coach who has some interesting views on life.

The keeper retained his position in the team (thank goodness, he was useless) but is disliked by most of those behind the goal. Those two goals could be used to remove him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's a bit more complex than that.

https://www.dw.com/en/hertha-berlin-sack-goalkeeping-coach-over-controversial-comments/a-57107713

Their goalkeeper last night was criticised by a Hungarian Hertha Berlin coach who has some interesting views on life.

The keeper retained his position in the team (thank goodness, he was useless) but is disliked by most of those behind the goal. Those two goals could be used to remove him.

So, a nation of racists rather than morons, after all. Fair enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here