Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England tonight

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
WTF is wrong with Eastern Europe and racism?

Pretty much every East European I've ever met has been sound - but in football matches their fans are racist idiots?

The exact same that is wrong with Western Europe and Racism

Its only about 8 weeks since the Black English players were being abused for missing their Penalty Shoot Out spot kick

Its only about 10 days since boos rang round about 30 or 40 Football Grounds when players took the knee to highlight a stand against racism. All this moral high ground here in the UK is laughable. We are no different except for the fact that we print a few anti racist T shirts and the Press pretend to be outraged for a few days then forget about it and leave the young black lads to deal with the aftermath of it.

I am absolutely fed up waiting for something meaningful to happen - Players need to start walking off the pitch all over Europe and then force the Authorities to do something meaningful in response.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
OK let's give you an easier one. Can you tell me who is in the racism business just to make money and who is an actual racist who happily does it for free?

Donald Trump does it to make money - He openly appeals for Donations using White Supremist Rhetoric

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Great result, had no idea England were playing last night until I saw this thread this morning. I’d have been surprised if I’d heard the Hungarian crowd had behaved any differently to what has been described on here. How sad is that?

So you didn't wonder why Albion weren't playing at the weekend....mid season trip to Dubai?, extended drinks break, Covid outbreak, or an international break that's happened every September for years!?

Heads up for October and November when you find out Albion aren't playing one weekend, come back to this thread...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Haven’t we learnt about trying to fix the world with places like Afghanistan

Countries are different

The English football team were required to play football in Hungary, not Afghanistan. The England football team are entitled to be able to play football without being subjected to monkey chants and having stuff thrown onto the pitch. The England football team did not invade Hungary to fix it.

Some of your posts recently have been crass :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I see people are doing [MENTION=365]Napper[/MENTION] 's homework for him. Good stuff so far. Suspect he might feel a bit silly when he realises that he meant to say "anti racism is big business".

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wonder how racist Budapest is as a city to visit?
Looks quite nice and up there with the likes of Prague as a place I might like to visit one day. Not so sure now.

Its pretty bad from what I've heard from Hungarian students here. The football crowd is never going to be representative of a whole population, but still pretty bad. Its what happens when a demagogue takes charge of a country and blames every issue they have on people who look non-Hungarian.

Viktor Orban reduced unemployment when he took the power. Government paid jobs that pay minimum or below minimum fees, but it can still make him brag about it and people who dont have the education to get a job abroad are willing to listen, but they also wonder "man, why can I barely pay my rent and my food" and Orban will point at a) the few immigrants they have and b) European countries being "crowded" with immigrants meaning "they cant buy all our nice exports". To those who support Orban, his words are the absolute truth and obviously that creates a rather hostile environment against certain nationalities and ethnicities.

WTF is wrong with Eastern Europe and racism?

Pretty much every East European I've ever met has been sound - but in football matches their fans are racist idiots?

Do you have a light skin tone? Might be a different experience with darker skin tone I guess.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Or not. Racism is not some kind of inherent thing in the Eastern European... race. If you meet Eastern Europeans who have either had the skills/education to move abroad or at least travel around abroad and seen a bit more of the world, racism is not going to be more common among those than among anyone else. The key to stop being a racist is to interact with people from other "races" (always feel weird writing this word as we dont do it over here) and develop some kind of understanding that we are indeed just humans. If you cant afford / be arsed / leave your pretty homogenous country for whatever reason, its common to develop fear or anger against those who are different. So basically, Hungarians who have left Hungary or just been a lot to different places are no more likely to be racist than you or me.

Does the Premier League actually make any money?

Genuine question, but doesn’t it all go out of the door with most clubs financed by owners struggling to make any kind of profit? The PL has a huge turnover, but it’s like a giant laundering operation, money comes in in huge sums but even more seems to go out. I don’t know, just throwing it out there, just seems like the biggest loss maker spun into money maker??

Different subject this, but it depends on what you mean, no? If you own a Premier League team you wont make any money from it (in itself, the sportswashing and attention might make you money in different ways) but it makes money for England (taxes) and for the 20 000 people or so working with it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree, we went to Budapest in December 2016. It was well below zero ... absolutely freezing ... which just added to the Christmas feel about the place. It really is a stunning city and we walked for miles and miles without realising because there was always something to look at.

It was very friendly and felt very safe. We were stunned to see people leave laptops or handbags on tables in a bar when the person went to the toilet or outside for a cigarette. We asked about it and were told that crime/theft is low! Even crossing the road ... cars just stopped and let you cross ... and not always on a crossing! Food was great ... and cheap.

But ... I am white ... and given the disgraceful incidents last night (not unexpected), I'm not sure how I would feel about travelling there if I wasn't ... which is very sad.

Precisely.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I would like to see an England team walk off the pitch when this nonsense happens.

No-one should have to put up with being racially abused while playing football. Taking a stand and walking off would force toothless Eufa and FIFA to actually do something.

Fully agree. Should have walked off last night and made a stand. If there's racist chanting in Poland we still should. Not wait for someone at Lancaster Gate or in Parliament to go "ooo, that's bad, we condemn that. Anyway, more cake ?".

Even if we forfeited the match we'd still qualify; hell even if they gave us a points deduction as well, we'd probably qualify so Balls to the blazer and tie club at the FA, Balls to EUFA, Balls to FIFA, Balls to the sponsors and, if need be, Balls to the world cup.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Fully agree. Should have walked off last night and made a stand. If there's racist chanting in Poland we still should. Not wait for someone at Lancaster Gate or in Parliament to go "ooo, that's bad, we condemn that. Anyway, more cake ?".

Even if we forfeited the match we'd still qualify; hell even if they gave us a points deduction as well, we'd probably qualify so Balls to the blazer and tie club at the FA, Balls to EUFA, Balls to FIFA, Balls to the sponsors and, if need be, Balls to the world cup.

Its always a tough one considering these racists actually want the players to walk off in tears and anger. Bit of a double edged sword that one.

Who knows, maybe UEFA are going to surprise us and let them play in empty stadiums.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Love all of the country getting on its high horse about racist Eastern Europeans. Anyone forgetting what happened after the Italy game? Short memories

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Its always a tough one considering these racists actually want the players to walk off in tears and anger. Bit of a double edged sword that one.

Who knows, maybe UEFA are going to surprise us and let them play in empty stadiums.

As these are WC qualifiers, isn't this down to FIFA, rather than UEFA?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So you didn't wonder why Albion weren't playing at the weekend....mid season trip to Dubai?, extended drinks break, Covid outbreak, or an international break that's happened every September for years!?

Heads up for October and November when you find out Albion aren't playing one weekend, come back to this thread...

:lolol: of course I knew it was an International break but I seldom watch England in qualifiers so don’t check the fixtures, sorry :shrug:

Now some scandal about the players in Dubai I would definitely investigate further!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I agree that's what they want. England answered it all in the best way possible, taking the knee together, stuffing Hungary out of sight, black and white players celebrating together. And anyone notice Rice winding them up by pretending to drink from the thrown cups? However....

As these are WC qualifiers, isn't this down to FIFA, rather than UEFA?

This is true. It's absolutely insane that UEFA have banned their fans but FIFA have not.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
So we aren’t allowed to condemn last night’s events because of some sort of whataboutery argument ? Ok then, if you say so then I won’t condemn it. Happy now ?

How to miss the point 101.

Of course condemn it. It is disgusting. So is the idea that we in the west are past it and can view it as a problem ‘over there’. I’ve seen plenty of it on social media and certainly some posts on here.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

I agree with the sentiment but I do think stuffing them 4-0 was a far better response.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here