Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Manager - Another FA cock-up in the making?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Can't see it being O'Neill with all the anti Irish Ira stuff the england fans sing . .. just cant see it happening.

Hope they go english , Curbishley + Pearce p/t assistant.

The football side of this job is not that difficult imo

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Seems like the FA have a very difficut job in finding a replacement, there arent any obviously outstanding English candidates.
In my opinion it should be o'Neil but i am not sure whether he will want the job, too much press interfernce in your personal life, too much stress and he is Irish.
Am sure whatever decision they make will be greeted with critisism from some or most quarters.

Dandyman

In London village.
Pavilionaire said:
Wasn't the 1970 World Cup Finals during the 70s then?

The qualification was not.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Brovian said:
... although it would be a 'traditional' FA appointment. Think Greenwood, Keegan, Hoddle, a few Cups and a couple of promotions between them. They've tried the experienced coach routine and all it's done is raise expectations to the level where some people (hiya Easy) expect us to qualify for tournaments and are upset about 'only' getting to quarter-finals. This has scared them so now they want to go back to a traditional "pipe 'n' slippers" man (metaphorically speaking) and we can go back to the 1970/80s when we were happy just getting to the Finals stages.

(Note to new readers - England never even qualified for the Final stages of ANY tournament during the 1970s).

Nail Head :clap:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Trigger said:
If it is I'll be digging out my Angola shirt.

i hope it wasn't from the days of that picture that was posted the other day , or you'll be extremely streamlined fella :D

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well Hiddink has already all but ruled himself out. Get this from his agent:

"Either the FA want him or they don’t,” Cees van Nieuwenhuizen, Hiddink’s agent, said. “If people want to sit down and have a cup of tea to see whether he should be a potential candidate, that is an insult to a coach of his age and CV. He won the Champions League and took two countries to World Cup semi-finals. I spoke to the FA three weeks ago and have heard nothing since.”

O'Neill will probably be snapped up by Newcastle as well while Barwick and his cronies endlessly fanny about and procrastinate over this. Thats two of the leading candidates that'll probably go down the toilet before they're even interviewed. Brilliant.

And what the hell does BARWICK know about appointing the right man for the job anyway ? What qualifies him to decide who takes up the reigns once that swedish idiot slings his hook ? The potential candidates for the England managers job should be interviewed by a panel of ex players and managers - people who have been there at the SHARP end and know exactly what the job entails. The interviewing panel should consist of:

Trevor Brooking
Bobby Robson
Glenn Hoddle
Alan Shearer
Terry Butcher
Bryan Robson

Men who know precisely what it means to represent England in the dugout and on the pitch. THATS the kind of interview the new England manager should be having, not some Q&A session in front of a bunch of faceless old duffers in suits. I'd have far more faith in that crew choosing the right man for the job than that bloody nonentity Barwick.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Brovian said:
some people (hiya Easy) expect us to qualify for tournaments and are upset about 'only' getting to quarter-finals
:wave:

Just for the record, its not so much the stage we go out at that upsets me. Its the manner of our exit thats important. In 1998 we only made the 2nd round, but we put in an epic performance against Argentina and were incredibly unlucky to go out on pens. The team gave their all that night - we could not have asked for any more from the players or the manager.

The exits in 2002 and 2004, although at 1/4 final stage, were pathetic. And few England managers have had this array of talent at their disposal in recent memory, so its only natural that expectations are higher.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
I thought Hiddink hadn't confirmed he's taking the Russia job after all? He only said he's definitely leavig PSV at the end of the season.
It seems he's getting tired of Barwick dicking him about though.

Shit or get off the toilet.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
The fact Abramovich is also offering the Russia FA several hefty lorries - sorry, convoys of lorries - stuffed with cash will secure Hiddink too.

Funny how there's one obvious contender for the England job who rarely gets seriously mentioned?
I suppose it must have occurred at least in passing to the vice-chairman of the FA and the vice-chairman of Arsenal...

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Dougal said:
Can't see it being O'Neill with all the anti Irish Ira stuff the england fans sing . .. just cant see it happening.

I can actually see The FA going for O'Neill just to combat this problem. The FA blatantly want to rid the English support of those who have pro-British sectarian views and successfull England under O'Neill may make some of those particular fans give up.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Pavilionaire said:
Is anyone else getting a bit concerned about recent developments?

Hiddink is about to take the Russia job, O'Neill is reported by the Mirror to be househunting in Hexham near Newcastle, Stuart Pearce appears to be going into meltdown as City lose again, Curbishley is setting the midtable alight with another bore-draw, Allardyce's Bolton will be trophyless this season.

Maybe Basle did us all a favour by beating Boro 2-0 in the UEFA Cup, otherwise we might have had McLaren taking over after the WC?

Ahem, I think you are missing a basic point here though - results with their clubs (especially recent ones or one-offs) mean little to the FA - they are hiring the man, not the club he manages. They will want someone non-controversial, and mentally predictable and stoic. Curbishley and McClaren look great, O'Neill perhaps close second due to nationality, and Allardyce and Pearce look risky (for differing reasons).

The players have said nothing to hint at who they like or might prefer, except a mention or two of 'an Englishman' - but then they really are cagey to want to say anything, and who can blame them? Although..... Ferdinand mentioned in an interview that he was upset at being dropped last year, but that "he wanted the chance to ram it down his throat", which is somewhat heavy wording !! He's talking about Swain Boring though, so who can blame him for that? It does intimate a little, about the lowered respect they might hold for Irksome - and that perhaps the C**T is manager in name only, meaning that McClaren will actually be picking the side (a better option than the ponce Swede imo).

The one thing that I believe we WILL gain from this episode, is that ENGLAND will be galvanised in singular intent when he's gone. The thing the FA are "dropping the ball" with, is in keeping him in place for the World Cup - there would be no better time than now, to dump that tosser out and use the ensuing feelings in the camp, to go and play like we can and should. No reason why the swede should get any credit or attachment to possible success by riding along.

Kick open the door and push him out :bigwave: without slowing down, it's no more than he deserves, and England need him offloaded.

Easy 10 said:
:wave:

Just for the record, its not so much the stage we go out at that upsets me. Its the manner of our exit thats important. In 1998 we only made the 2nd round, but we put in an epic performance against Argentina and were incredibly unlucky to go out on pens. The team gave their all that night - we could not have asked for any more from the players or the manager.

The exits in 2002 and 2004, although at 1/4 final stage, were pathetic. And few England managers have had this array of talent at their disposal in recent memory, so its only natural that expectations are higher.

Word.

Personally. I think it is sad.

That the choice appears to be from:

Curbishley - achieved f*** all.

Pearce - new manager and achieved f*** all.

McClaren - achieved f*** all but at least has some European experience.

Alladyce - I like what he has done and achieved at Bolton....but has won f*** all.

O'Neill - A UEFA run with Celtic, winning a micky mouse league but at least that is better than all of the others on this list.

lc

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here