Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Manager - Another FA cock-up in the making?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is anyone else getting a bit concerned about recent developments?

Hiddink is about to take the Russia job, O'Neill is reported by the Mirror to be househunting in Hexham near Newcastle, Stuart Pearce appears to be going into meltdown as City lose again, Curbishley is setting the midtable alight with another bore-draw, Allardyce's Bolton will be trophyless this season.

Maybe Basle did us all a favour by beating Boro 2-0 in the UEFA Cup, otherwise we might have had McLaren taking over after the WC?

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Pardew said that he wanted curbishly to get the job in his programme notes yesterday. Hopefully there will be some developments within the next 2 weeks, all seems to have gone a bit quiet recently.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Pavilionaire said:
Maybe Basle did us all a favour by beating Boro 2-0 in the UEFA Cup, otherwise we might have had McLaren taking over after the WC?
Or maybe not, Christian Gross is on his way!!! :lolol:

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I bet Gross has still kept his return tube ticket.

Moving on, I would be very disappointed if Curbishley gets the gig. Also, if Stuart Pearce says he's ashamed to show his face to his wife and family after losing 1-0 to Boro imagine what he'd do to himself if we lost to Germany in the World Cup!!!

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Pavilionaire said:
I bet Gross has still kept his return tube ticket.

Moving on, I would be very disappointed if Curbishley gets the gig. ...
... although it would be a 'traditional' FA appointment. Think Greenwood, Keegan, Hoddle, a few Cups and a couple of promotions between them. They've tried the experienced coach routine and all it's done is raise expectations to the level where some people (hiya Easy) expect us to qualify for tournaments and are upset about 'only' getting to quarter-finals. This has scared them so now they want to go back to a traditional "pipe 'n' slippers" man (metaphorically speaking) and we can go back to the 1970/80s when we were happy just getting to the Finals stages.

(Note to new readers - England never even qualified for the Final stages of ANY tournament during the 1970s).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Wasn't the 1970 World Cup Finals during the 70s then?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So then we didn't get knocked out by Germany, Banks didn't make that wonder save from Pele and Bobby Moore didn't steal that bracelet?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Pavilionaire said:
So then we didn't get knocked out by Germany, Banks didn't make that wonder save from Pele and Bobby Moore didn't steal that bracelet?

I see what you are saying, but we didn't qualify...we were holders

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Pavilionaire said:

What I meant was we went into the finals automatically, as previous winners. Therefore we didnt need to qualify.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No, we didn't PLAY to qualify for it. And had we have done, that would have been during the 1960s. :p

After the 1962 World Cup, we didn't qualify through the World Cup Qualifiying groups again until the 1982 World Cup.

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Large One said:
No, we didn't PLAY to qualify for it. And had we have done, that would have been during the 1960s. :p

After the 1962 World Cup, we didn't qualify through the World Cup Qualifiying groups again until the 1982 World Cup.
Well spotted TLO, I can't believe it was necessary to point that out.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
My preferences.

1. Hiddink
2. O' Neil
3..........erm, can't think of another one!

:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here