Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Milliband..... I do believe he's got it.

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough
The only way we can fix the nation's problems is to start making things that people want, thereby generating wealth. We can argue about how to fairly tax people later. But no party has ever seen fit to address this basic problem, choosing to hide behind the "they can make it cheaper in China option", which ignores the fact that Germany and the Netherlands seem to manage it.

I for one am sick and tired of the main party leaders trading insults and feeble sound bites and clearly not tackling the cause of the problem. I'm not sure how it can be done to be honest, but I sure don't trust Ed Milliband to do it, just as I don't trust a government that sees fit to cut everything to the bone and screw the consequences.

All well and good, but you wont get people in this country working for less and thats where the problem lies.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Which good old labour times do you mean ? Just like to know who you're talking about :)

There were a few days after the General Election in 1997 until people realised Blair was running a Blue Labour Government.

Ah, a simple story for simple folk.

If only the world was black and white.

Yes, yes it was just a JOKE ffs. Jeez get over yourselves and please see my other posts on this thread for a more reasoned argument.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Sorry, I can't be bothered to read the whole thread. Has Milliband got 'it'? Maybe, maybe not. But it's easy to be in opposition, especially when the country is in crisis. What he said today was empty, with no substance whatsoever, but it was very well delivered to a fawning audience that lapped it up. I will make my mind up closer to the election when he starts saying what Labour would do should they be elected, and how they plan to pay for it. Until then, it's just an expensive soap opera.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Crikey this is tough going, " I should have explained by " reasonable rates " I include the terms and conditions as well.

if you arent aware as it goes largly unreported, the problem is while politicians shout lots about getting banks lending, the regulators at all levels from UK, EU, international are telling them they must hold more cash against their assets. meanwhile the downgrades of Euro denominated bonds means they are worth less and they cant be used as cash proxies or again more assests have to be held against them. theres also guidance to improve their risk managment and reassess their lending criteria, so they have to be stricter on lending. as lots of existing loans come up for renewal, they are competing for less available lending before you consider new lending, driving comercial rates up.

the actual problem is confidence. the government doesnt help by lacking clear direction and assertion on policy, companies dont know if the rules will change in 6 month. but more than that is the constant whine that the country is bust and we are without hope. compared to previous recessions the overall effect is not so significant as is being portrayed - note the lack of mass redundancies, firm closures etc. but both sides seem to thing its a great idea to say its terrible to justify or object to policy. businesses have a massive net surplus of cash nationally, but are sitting, waiting for it all to blow over. if the politicans just stopped trying to out manouver on who've spending cut plan is better/worse and focused on making investment worthwhile, that cash might start to be spent.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Very good speech so far, talking a lot of sense. Particularly his references to this country splitting in to the haves and have nots with little hope.

Total bollox from a leader whose party are more than responsible for the current mess and who must never ever never ever be allowed back in charge of our Country.

It is as simple as that!

Oh and his speech was just soundbite heaven for soundbite lovers everywhere.

TNBA

TTF

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I love this thread. Conclusive proof on both sides that you can fool some of the people all of the time.

I actually liked the speech today. He has got his party onside (not east when in opposition - ask Ian Duncan smith) and it is a time when the public are keen to listen and he will have struck a chord.

What I do find ironic is that 2 years before the last election I bemoaned on here, the lack of policies from the Tories. I did the same one year before the election. The great and the good now saying 'where are labour policies' were the ones telling me that Dave didn't have to show his hand. And yet at the election we still got no substance and he rightly failed to seal the deal with voters. In fact the one thing he did categorically promise was 'no top down reorganisation of the NHS'. The speed with which he broke this tells you how much of a lie that was as it was clearly planned way ahead.

But somehow people are prepared to, even now 3 years before an election, to commit to trusting him again.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We can all talk about spending money on worthy projects but that is my point, it has to come from somewhere and he won't say where. The reason being is that in 2 years (not that he will get in) he won't be able to generate it unless he borrows, and you can't borrow your way out of a funding crisis I'm afraid.

Haven't we been here before? Sorry if anybody else has made this point, but if more people are in work, more people are paying tax, there are fewer people claiming benefits and there is less need to borrow money.

It may have escaped people's notice, but we are borrowing money at what seems an alarming rate at the moment in order to finance our austerity.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Yes, yes it was just a JOKE ffs. Jeez get over yourselves and please see my other posts on this thread for a more reasoned argument.

Hahaha! Reasoned argument? Get over yourself, your other posts just reveal your prejudices.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
if you arent aware as it goes largly unreported, the problem is while politicians shout lots about getting banks lending, the regulators at all levels from UK, EU, international are telling them they must hold more cash against their assets. meanwhile the downgrades of Euro denominated bonds means they are worth less and they cant be used as cash proxies or again more assests have to be held against them. theres also guidance to improve their risk managment and reassess their lending criteria, so they have to be stricter on lending. as lots of existing loans come up for renewal, they are competing for less available lending before you consider new lending, driving comercial rates up.

the actual problem is confidence. the government doesnt help by lacking clear direction and assertion on policy, companies dont know if the rules will change in 6 month. but more than that is the constant whine that the country is bust and we are without hope. compared to previous recessions the overall effect is not so significant as is being portrayed - note the lack of mass redundancies, firm closures etc. but both sides seem to thing its a great idea to say its terrible to justify or object to policy. businesses have a massive net surplus of cash nationally, but are sitting, waiting for it all to blow over. if the politicans just stopped trying to out manouver on who've spending cut plan is better/worse and focused on making investment worthwhile, that cash might start to be spent.

Excellent ! , I've just voted for you.

Was amused by the fact Ed Milliband was talking about a policy for a new vocational qualification called the Technical Baccalaureate. Would this technical qualification need Technical Colleges, or where the college teaches more than one subject, they could call it a Polytechnic?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Cheap jibes at the wealthy and banks.... easy vote winners, pleasing to his union paymasters, but lacking in substance.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Cheap jibes at the wealthy and banks.... easy vote winners, pleasing to his union paymasters, but lacking in substance.

If they are "easy vote winners", why isn't that nice mr Cameron doing it.

Or are you saying there is really a difference between the two parties?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
If they are "easy vote winners", why isn't that nice mr Cameron doing it.

Or are you saying there is really a difference between the two parties?

Doesn't need to.... in power already..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what's he supposed to have got then? it certainly isn't a very good grasp of economics with this "£40k cheque to millionaires" gaff.

:ffsparr:

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I've got more and more impressed with Ed and he's grown into the job. He'll make an excellent PM - assuming the Tories haven't totally destroyed the country by the time they're booted out.

Labour managed to destroy the country before the Tories got booted back in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here