Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Ear wax removal

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
It's mesmerising watching that video! It does feel like the wax has gone all squelchy after all the ear drops inserted and cotton buds do more harm than good. That's probably made it worse by getting frustrated.

I think by the time I'd bought the item and it arrived through the post, I would have a date for microsuction. But thanks for your help mate. :)
You don't need any preparation. oil etc. The tip is slightly warm and heats the wax. It's really good fun and pretty instant. Really didn't expect it to.work but it does

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you ever go and have your ears syringed at the doctors the hilarious gag there, is to tilt your head to one side and hold the silver bowl thing under the other ear.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Crickey, sounds like some here need to re prioritise ie £60 doesn’t get you dinner for two yet people baulk at spending that on one of their senses! Of course it shouldn’t be free on the NHS just because it once was. Just like your glasses ain’t. Spend it and be done. It’s yer hearing for bleedin sake!! :)

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Ear drops have been put in for a week now but they seem to be making my hearing worse - like when you go swimming and you can't get the water out afterwards.
Ear drops are a marketing con, they don’t do anything for clearing wax. Olive oil for a few days and then get suctioned. Job done.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Crickey, sounds like some here need to re prioritise ie £60 doesn’t get you dinner for two yet people baulk at spending that on one of their senses! Of course it shouldn’t be free on the NHS just because it once was. Just like your glasses ain’t. Spend it and be done. It’s yer hearing for bleedin sake!! :)
I had it done twenty years ago (just in time for promotion in Cardiff!) and it was done for free on the NHS.

Now, I don't mind paying money but I do look for the best deals around. If I had over £300k in the bank I would have just thrown money at a private clinic weeks ago. It is bloody annoying, portlock seagull, but if I was to choose a disability in life, hearing would probably be it (as there's always options).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There is a very good exercise for that. I fell over in my garden and cut my face badly a few years ago with vertigo. Any sign now I do the exercise and it is gone in a few hours.
Yep…….I’ve had vertigo twice, very different experiences. The first time (not knowing what it was) I ended up being blue-lighted to A&E, couldn’t move or open my eyes without being sick. A few hours later I walked out of the hospital completely fine as the crystals had relocated. The second time was labyrinthitis - same effects but took a month the clear despite doing the exercises.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Half past eleven, dearie.
1728821360656.png

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Used to have them syringed but now they won't so use Optex and that rubber balloon thing to swish water in and it works. Also must remember to put oil in BEFORE my ears go duff!

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I went into Action For Deafness on Monday morning and I have an appointment for microsuction next Thursday afternoon. It's on the NHS and costs a very reasonable £60. The lady on the desk was surprised to see anyone under the age of 70! So just one more week of my left ear being blocked and hopefully my hearing will be fully restored. Counting down the days now........ :thumbsup:

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I went into Action For Deafness on Monday morning and I have an appointment for microsuction next Thursday afternoon. It's on the NHS and costs a very reasonable £60. The lady on the desk was surprised to see anyone under the age of 70! So just one more week of my left ear being blocked and hopefully my hearing will be fully restored. Counting down the days now........ :thumbsup:
Good to hear you have something sorted, the relief you will feel when its done is amazing. But be prepared to notice how loud everything suddenly seems.

I suffer from this issue a lot and am definitely not over 70. Have been told I have very small ear canals and block up frequently, oil just loosens it and will not flush it from my ears at all. I used to have them syringed on the NHS, but my surgery no longer offer that as a service. Have been having Microsection around once every 6 months now for ages and its far more pleasant.

The wait times around where i live are ridiculous, the local Specsavers is over a month and other businesses tend to be around 2 weeks. I can now feel when my ears are beginning to clog in advance and book an appointment.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I bought a pack of two of these easy to use stainless steel scrapers about 10 years ago from Ebay.
As long as your touch is very very light and you have good perception of just when you're prodding something you shouldn't be (Clue: It'll usually make you cough) then you're good to go. Rotation is key to getting the muck out and resultant cleaner ears.
Only use if you're not some impatient clumsy ham-fisted hacker.

Nowadays I use one for my ears and the other for lite sounding.
I try my best not to get them mixed up.
(Joking)
(I don't care which is which)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here