Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Ear wax removal

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I am but thought it wasn’t available on the NHS anymore.
They do but it’s a strange booking system, without going into all other details about my hearing Quayside phoned me as they had spaces for ear wax removal, unfortunately I missed their call by minutes as I was driving.
They left a voicemail and I phoned back but they had phoned others on the list and filled all appointments. At the time the receptionist didn’t know when they were next doing the appointments and I have to ring another time.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I tried olive oil drops first (in my ears!) but they made me sick in the night with the taste of the wood. I think I'm allergic to them.

Otex Express are odourless and I haven't had any problems with this product. Bought at Sainsburys for just under a tenner.
The problem with Otex is that they are not as effective as olive oil, have you bought Earol from boots? That is the best prep product beforehand and microsuction is better for you. Stick with the Earol until you go as you will appreciate the benefit when done.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They do but it’s a strange booking system, without going into all other details about my hearing Quayside phoned me as they had spaces for ear wax removal, unfortunately I missed their call by minutes as I was driving.
They left a voicemail and I phoned back but they had phoned others on the list and filled all appointments. At the time the receptionist didn’t know when they were next doing the appointments and I have to ring another time.
It sounds like there’s just one person doing it.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I can’t believe you tolerated 3 months of it. My ears got blocked with wax in my early 20s (over 20 years later it hasn’t happened again) and I couldn’t stand it - I was visiting the doctors within about a day. Took some drops, got treated in the NHS but back then the only reason for the wait was to allow the drops to soften it up. I’d pay and get it done asap.
I'm really peed off with it this morning. It's getting me down so much at weekends more as I feel like I'm missing out on things. I was going to go up to London today but that's had to be cancelled due to the dizziness and a vulnerability of not being able to hear possible announcements on trains, conversations with friends, fire alarms (small chance I know but even so) etc. :(

I had a PM asking if I still lived in Haywards Heath and that Action For Deafness in Sussex Road is the very best service. A no longer wait of more than a fortnight and done at a reasonable price on the NHS. First thing Monday morning I'm going to pop in there because this is making me seriously grumpy some days and apparently unbearable to be around - that hurt when someone said that to me.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I had this issue. Went to Specsavers a month or so ago. They did the suction thing. Two days later I got vertigo caused by the crystals in my inner ear being out of position. Very debilitating, couldn't drive and took a good two weeks to settle down even after the recommended head exercises to realign everything. Never had it before so I won't be going back to Specsavers.
That’s nothing to do with specsavers, that’s your ears and would likely happen wherever you got it done.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The problem with Otex is that they are not as effective as olive oil, have you bought Earol from boots? That is the best prep product beforehand and microsuction is better for you. Stick with the Earol until you go as you will appreciate the benefit when done.
Thanks mate. I will give this a try on Monday as Boots is near Sussex Road. (y)

How much is a bottle of Earol roughly?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
They do but it’s a strange booking system, without going into all other details about my hearing Quayside phoned me as they had spaces for ear wax removal, unfortunately I missed their call as I can’t hear the phone ring.
Amended for you. 🤣

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Get one of these
Great fun and really does work
It's mesmerising watching that video! It does feel like the wax has gone all squelchy after all the ear drops inserted and cotton buds do more harm than good. That's probably made it worse by getting frustrated.

I think by the time I'd bought the item and it arrived through the post, I would have a date for microsuction. But thanks for your help mate. :)

Lord Charles

Oct 16, 2010
Bedford
Apparently I've got thin ear canals which means I need it doing every 18 months or so. Use Earol for a week beforehand which is a necessary evil as the wax softens and expands and you can't hear a thing. Up here it's the same price whether you need one or two visits. Shame it's no longer free on the NHS though.

Whatever you do, make sure you choose someone who will do it while you wait ......

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How times have changed, last time I had this done, its was free under the NHS.
It's surprising how much wax comes out from the ears, but once clear it;s like going from mono to surround sound.

Given the little difference in price I would go private to get your hearing back as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately no idea on second visit, but no doubt this would be answered when booking appointment.
A pal of mine is almost deaf because he's been told the NHS won't do it any more.

People tell me not to use a Q tip, but I have done so after my shower every day for 40 years and my hearing is sharp as a pin.

NHS advice seems ambiguous, as if they suspect they are being bothered by people with bad hygiene, perhaps:

1728737387296.png

However, like many things, it may be that if you kick up a massive fuss the GP surgery will help:

1728737470624.png

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Vertigo is horrible.....took me a month to recover balance etc. First few days were awful - literally had to stay lying down in a dark room
There is a very good exercise for that. I fell over in my garden and cut my face badly a few years ago with vertigo. Any sign now I do the exercise and it is gone in a few hours.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyone used any of these devices available from Amazon?

1728738203993.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here