Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby Reaction Thread

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Curious Orange said:
Just back in (via Sainsburys).

Bloody horrible trip, which seemed to consist of a solid traffic jam between here and Luton.

However my aged Golf has proven to be capable of a sustained speed of *cough-splutter* and I arrived in plenty of time.

Nice ground, if a little mechano-like from the outside. But a good arena with a good view of the pitch.

I found myself stood next to the now-extremely-famous-to-other-Brighton fans Aaron Berry, so I introduced myself to Jam the Man, as he is also known, and we were both impressed with where he winnings went.

Yep, this was a solid professional performance from the Albion. The new outfield players all looked self-assured and comfortable on the ball. Dodd showing the kind of class that keeps you playing in the top flight for the majority of your career; McShane the raw talent and positional sense that both belies his tender age and gives the reason as to why he is a Manchester United player; the Coca-Cola kid looks like he will terrorise defences, he's already terrorised Derbys.

In goal Henderson wasn't really tested, but his early butter-fingers spills and reluctance to come out was put behind him with two good takes in the last ten minutes.

Brighton were a continual threat from set pieces, so it isn't really a suprise that Hammond headed home an early free-kick, indeed he should have done better with a free header from a similar position in the second half.

Derby's equaliser came out of not much really, Butters clearance deflected to Peschisolido, who couldn't really miss.

Derby were pretty at times but didn't have much of a threat, their star players Idiakez and Rasiak resorting to throwing themselves at the ground at every opportunity - Rasiak embarrassingly so after he failed to have enough pace to run around Butters.

The Albion looked comfortable throughout, keeping Derby at arms length for the most part. The solidity came from the use of Reid and Hammond on the right and left. While not spectacular these two were able to engineer oportunities for the front two while not compromising defence.

A good performance indeed.

:)
couldn't get round my arse!

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
also thought leon man-marked idazis or what-ever his name is well and Rasiak was petulant but had a poor game. The tank kept him quiet in the air and Mcshane took care of the runs. Another bonus was that Tudguy did not score against us as he always seems to. He is available and could do a job for us on the wing???

KinkyGoebels said:
Sounds like created more chances in this game than in about five games in a row last.

Not really - it wasn't a game packed with goal chances. What was magnificent was just our passing of the ball. I hope people give credit to the much-maligned Mayo for that too, because he is a very good passing fullback, albeit we all know he doesn't have speed.

The ease with which we built play from the back was a big part of that, we now have more "comfortable" footballers in the team than last season - part of the McGhee evolution in turning us into a permanent Championship team.

Richie's comments are spot on.

We will have to switch tactics/formations when we're at home for sure to cope with new situations - the peculiar 4-5-1 or was it 4-4-1-1 worked a treat today - but I'd like us do as good a job of taking Glen Little out of the game on Tuesday as we did Idiakez today.

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
NMH said:
Don't forget, they take turns in using the same account. So Guy says, their attackers couldn't negotiate around his posterior :lolol:

Hmmm, the plot thickens...

I should point out that my original comment was alluding to Guy's pace, and lack there of, and how Rasiak didn't have enough pace to run around him...

But I suppose it could just have been that the long way round was just too far for the poor chap!! He didn't look happy for pretty much the entire match.

:lolol:

Last edited:

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Not long home and i agree with many of the sentiments above. I thoroughly enjoyed that match today and if only Leon's free-kick had curled that little bit more, but a point was welcome and well deserved.

I like many others there today was stunned when we started confidently passing the ball around defence into midfield, across from wing to wing and into the strikers feet. I was fantastic to watch and McShane was absolutely fantastic in his debut along with Dodd. We had a real solid look about the team, a definite shape and it was great footy to watch. Fair dos not many chances, but CKR looked hungry and Leon was very disciplined in his man marking of Idiakez, not reacting to the Derby mans petulance when trying to wind him up. I think once the team have got a few more matches under their belt CKR will expect the balls to make runs to and the team itself will feed him the opportunities to take the defence on. He terrorised the Derby defence, though was a little slow in the acceleration onto a thru ball, but time will sort that. How Johnson wasn't sent off i'll never know, but overall i think the Officials didn't do too badly.

Reid did look a little uncomfortable on the right wing, but linked up well with Dodd. I think he's still in a defenders frame of mind as he wasn't too sure about taking the ball on and trying to get a cross in. As to Richie's comments about the throw ins at the end, you really must give Derby's defence credit there m8, as they hemmed in the players and wouldn't allow them to get the ball in.

Hammond is gonna be a big star for us! He worked the left wing well and was a good outlet for Hendersons kicks and took his defenders on. Great header for the goal, just a shame he wasn't more accurate with the other free header he had in the second half. Quality cross for the goal aswell.

Henderson had a so-so debut, spilled a couple of easyish shots, but grew in confidence and a couple of nice takes at the end to help settle the defence.

Great day out, really pleased considering the tonking we got there last season.

Grizz

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
London Irish said:
Not really - it wasn't a game packed with goal chances. What was magnificent was just our passing of the ball. I hope people give credit to the much-maligned Mayo for that too, because he is a very good passing fullback, albeit we all know he doesn't have speed.

Mayo was guilty of some aimless hoofing a few times, as opposed to Mcshane and Dodd who looked much happier to make short passes to a brighton player.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Morning!

Good day out I thought and we definitely deserved the point.

Sitting next to Curious Orange, I have to say we both saw the game in the same light really, so thanks mate, that's saved me a lot of typing!!!

Thought CKR did alright on his debut.. basically 8 times out of 10 when he got the ball, something positive happened... which is quite a good ratio I think..

...yes I made up the 8 out of 10 stat, but surely Whiskas cat food don't really interview 10 cats either?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Sunday Times report:

PAUL PESCHISOLIDO fired a fierce equalising strike but Derby, who qualified for the playoffs under George Burley last season, were uninspiring against a side who avoided relegation by a point.
Phil Brown has had a tough initiation as Derby manager after replacing Burley. A poor pre-season and ongoing financial woes — the debt is £40m — have failed to convince the fans. But he was able to sign Paul Thirlwell from Sheffield United and this brought solidity to midfield, allowing Peschisolido to threaten Brighton regularly.

Derby’s defence, in which Marc Edworthy and on-loan Middlesbrough centre-half Andrew Davies made debuts, succumbed first, though.

Jason Dodd, the former Southampton defender in his first start, floated in a free kick and Dean Hammond’s header was well placed. Peschisolido volleyed home when Brighton could only half-clear a throw-in. “He had a good understanding with Grzegorz Rasiak,” said Brown.

Brighton manager Mark McGhee said: “Survival is the name of the game until we get a new stadium and this was an important and merited point.”

STAR MAN: Dean Hammond (Brighton)

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The best thing about the team is that it seems we could finally see an obvious starting 11 developing which we lacked last season, especially in the way we had to push Virgo up front for some games and defence for others.

Football is all about partnerships and getting to know each other. On yesterdays performance I think Dodd and Reid could bring out the best in each other, McShane and Butters compliment each other superbly and Knight and Kazim-Richards could be a dangerous pairing.

Add Blayney or Kuipers to that team and it starts having a very solid look about it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
garry nelsons left foot said:
What, Race's fat arse? :ohmy: Or guys????

Well, that wasn't quite what I meant but now you come to mention it !

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I think that that team was the obvious one for that game. Having Reid and Hammond right and left midfield made it quite solid, but not very attack minded, not that there weren't any attacking opportunities for us yesterday.

There will be times this season when we'll want to attack more, and in that case we'll need to use more orthodox wingers in the side.

My suspicion is that we'll see slightly different sides playing in home matches than we do away, and that seems to be the way McGhee is developing the squad - with multiple players for each position.

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
Gully said:
Crowd were loud, outsung a very quiet home support, considering they outnumbered us by about 10 or 12 to 1...

Aint heard this one before, brilliant

"Gone to the library, you should have gone to the Library

Gone to the library, you should have gone to the Library"

:lolol: :clap: :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here