Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn - Time Up

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I've been sticking up for him a lot of late, not least because his performances at centre back have been critical to our recent revival on my opinion. So to see him at left wing-back frustrated me at first, and to be truthful his first 20 minutes were pretty poor, both with the ball and without.

But that guy clearly has confidence oozing through him. Beaten by Salah? Take him on again. Fluff a great chance at the back post? Get there again and again. By the end of the game it had become the Dan Burn match, most touches by any Brighton player, most shots, assist, he was all over the place, culminating in a 5 minute analysis of Dan Burns performance in the tv studio after the game.

I like that I'm living in a world where Dan Burn is part of a defence that keeps a clean sheet at Anfield, makes the goal and gets the pundits cooing. More of this sort of thing please :)

Sarisbury Seagull

Solly March Fan Club
NSC Patron
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I've been sticking up for him a lot of late, not least because his performances at centre back have been critical to our recent revival on my opinion. So to see him at left wing-back frustrated me at first, and to be truthful his first 20 minutes were pretty poor, both with the ball and without.

But that guy clearly has confidence oozing through him. Beaten by Salah? Take him on again. Fluff a great chance at the back post? Get there again and again. By the end of the game it had become the Dan Burn match, most touches by any Brighton player, most shots, assist, he was all over the place, culminating in a 5 minute analysis of Dan Burns performance in the tv studio after the game.

I like that I'm living in a world where Dan Burn is part of a defence that keeps a clean sheet at Anfield, makes the goal and gets the pundits cooing. More of this sort of thing please :)

He is clearly, really mentally strong. I’m sure many players would have disappeared after that Wolves disaster. But he doesn’t give a shit, just gets on with the job. Massive credit to him.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
a lot of people wear their hearts on their sleeves , it is so easy to assassinate people on the internet ....you have to cut BDB some slack , at 6ft7 he's bound to have the turning circle of the QE2 , Potter obviously sees something in him to give him a chance against what is arguably the best team in the league , definitely one of the top 3 .....and the lad turns in a blinder ........my Albion mojo is bubbling right now......:thumbsup:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Happy to hold my hands up as have been critical of late.

I needed to get over the Wolves game as felt it was a mistake having him against Traore.

Admittedly I was worried in the first 20 minutes especially with the Salah chance but you can’t question his commitment and my god he was everywhere tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
Pleased for him, did well at Pool apart from dreadful finishing. But he's still not a wing back.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Pleased for him, did well at Pool apart from dreadful finishing. But he's still not a wing back.

Highly likely he will now be our first choice left wing back for the rest of the season.

Potter clearly loves having the outball he provides. Anyone, anywhere can bang it high toward the left touchline and we'll likely retain possession.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Potters press conference was amazing when asked about Burn and why he was crazy enough to put him up against Salah. Said Burns critics know nothing about football. Says he was picked so we could go over the press to the far post which is what led to the goal. Said that it was a big win for himself (Potter)!!!

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Must admit, I laid into recently....more through frustration than an actual attack on the blokes ability.
I've been married for over 37 years and I have two daughters, I'm used to being proved wrong

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I think this thread along with the first potter out thread should be a lesson for the knee jerker's.

Saying that, i can understand the frustration some have felt this season but we should all know by now that Uncle Tony as our best interest at heart.

He is building this club up and as the saying goes, Rome was not built in a day.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Something I noticed that happened several times was the "Get Out of Jail" move that Brighton played when they felt that the Liverpool press was too tight.
Each time Big Dan Burn moved up to the left side of half way line and Bobby Sanchez pinged the ball in the air towards him which was knocked down for Brighton to win the second ball. It was something that Liverpool failed to stop happening just when they thought they had squeezed Brighton into a possible error.
In his post match interview Klopp mentioned their failure to deal with being able to win the second ball knock downs.
More wonderful tactics from GP that always keeps the opposition having to rethink their approach.

It's helpful when you have a 6'7" giant who wins most aerial duals.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I really liked Burn last season and was always really confident in him. I liked the faith Potter had in him within his system.

And then there was the Wolves game! One of the worst individual performances I’ve ever seen from an Albion player. I thought he’d struggle to get a game after that, particularly as it came so soon after his nightmare against Leicester. And I admit I wouldn’t have been sorry if that was the case then so bad was he in those two games and he looked mentally shot.

But the way he has bounced back from that has been magnificent. He and Potter deserve massive credit for the way he’s played recently. A few dodgy moments early on tonight but he grew into the game and was fantastic in the end.

The two people I'm most happy for after last night are Potter and Burn.

The latter especially, given the amount of stick he's had on here and and elsewhere. The amount of derogatory comments from people either complaining he's in the starting 11 – or even the squad – or celebrating the fact that he's been dropped is disgusting.

Maybe I'm an exception to the rule, but I've always believed that if you support a club, you get behind the WHOLE team – whoever they are –*and the manager. Yes, players are going to have good and bad runs of form, but support them whatever, FFS! Last night, Burn did a fantastic job, and that's probably why Potter stuck him there.

As for the boss, his determination – or ignorance of dissenting voices – has been justified. A win and a clean sheet against the champions. On THEIR turf. Amazing performance. It's almost as if he knows his squad, how to manage it and how to set a team up a whole lot better than anyone else who argues he doesn't :shrug:

Sarisbury Seagull

Solly March Fan Club
NSC Patron
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The two people I'm most happy for after last night are Potter and Burn.

The latter especially, given the amount of stick he's had on here and and elsewhere. The amount of derogatory comments from people either complaining he's in the starting 11 – or even the squad – or celebrating the fact that he's been dropped is disgusting.

Maybe I'm an exception to the rule, but I've always believed that if you support a club, you get behind the WHOLE team – whoever they are –*and the manager. Yes, players are going to have good and bad runs of form, but support them whatever, FFS! Last night, Burn did a fantastic job, and that's probably why Potter stuck him there.

As for the boss, his determination – or ignorance of dissenting voices – has been justified. A win and a clean sheet against the champions. On THEIR turf. Amazing performance. It's almost as if he knows his squad, how to manage it and how to set a team up a whole lot better than anyone else who argues he doesn't :shrug:

Agreed. Potter's reaction when asked about Burn after the Wolves game was fantastic - just completely supportive, saying how proud he and the club were of him, and it's paid off. It flew against all of the comments on here including I'll admit from myself. I felt bad for being so critical of Burn after Potter's comments.

I've always liked Burn but genuinely thought it would be a while before he could come back from that and the Leicester game so poor was he then. But he has. Brilliant attitude from him and fantastic management from Potter.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I kept thinking last night , my god, he seems so out of place in the final third, like a monk in a strip club, yet time and again he was there. Then his terrible miss. But again he was marauding. And yet I kept thinking what are you doing there mon, you are bambi on ice! And yet he was there again, causing trouble. And then, my word, unbelievably, he headed the ball perfectly for his assist. But everyone says he can't head the ball?!!!*

*I guess they mean he can't jump that high for a big lad. But then nor can a giraffe I guess.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Something I noticed that happened several times was the "Get Out of Jail" move that Brighton played when they felt that the Liverpool press was too tight.
Each time Big Dan Burn moved up to the left side of half way line and Bobby Sanchez pinged the ball in the air towards him which was knocked down for Brighton to win the second ball. It was something that Liverpool failed to stop happening just when they thought they had squeezed Brighton into a possible error.
In his post match interview Klopp mentioned their failure to deal with being able to win the second ball knock downs.
More wonderful tactics from GP that always keeps the opposition having to rethink their approach.

It's helpful when you have a 6'7" giant who wins most aerial duals.

yeah ....sort of next level stuff isn't it ......like futsal but on a full size pitch .....me like , me like lots...:drool:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Dan Burn and Solly March have both at times come in for criticism on this board which was totaly uncalled for anyone pulling on a Brighton shirt has and always get my unwavering support

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Listening to the match via Warren and JC, whilst keeping an eye on a moody stream, I wasn't on NSC last night (the beers I was sinking contributed too), so have been spending much of today catching up on various threads and stuff here and there. I did have a giggle at what the Eurosport website said about BDB:

"But though Brighton's good form and function is very much a team effort, the Warm-Up would like to specifically pick out Dan Burn, who is by our reckoning the most wonderfully strange footballer in the Premier League. A six foot seven defender with licence to roam up and down the left flank, clanking from box to box, terrifying both sides in equal measure. Like a fighting robot from some future war sent back to the 21st century and hiding as best he can."

:lolol:

Link here

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Listening to the match via Warren and JC, whilst keeping an eye on a moody stream, I wasn't on NSC last night (the beers I was sinking contributed too), so have been spending much of today catching up on various threads and stuff here and there. I did have a giggle at what the Eurosport website said about BDB:

"But though Brighton's good form and function is very much a team effort, the Warm-Up would like to specifically pick out Dan Burn, who is by our reckoning the most wonderfully strange footballer in the Premier League. A six foot seven defender with licence to roam up and down the left flank, clanking from box to box, terrifying both sides in equal measure. Like a fighting robot from some future war sent back to the 21st century and hiding as best he can."

:lolol:

Link here

that's an absolutely brilliant quote..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here