Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket- England tour of Pakistan- October 2024

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's a big IF but if we can get to the end of the day relatively unscathed, there is going to be only one team that can win this match. This whole match has Adelaide 2007 vibes, where England declared their first innings on 551/6 and still managed to lose to Australia.

The way things are going, England could be going into day 4 with a small deficit and may eventually end up taking a small lead and forcing Pakistan back into bat with a day and a half left. The pressure will then be entirely on Pakistan to secure the draw.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
There's not been too many games like this recently. Pitch which may as well be fresh tarmac. Massive scores, likely draw

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There's not been too many games like this recently. Pitch which may as well be fresh tarmac. Massive scores, likely draw
I'm not watching so don't know how it's playing, but they were talking on TMS about cracks appearing which is what happens to such pitches on the sub-continent. If England can get a decent innings lead, then won't the spinners come into play on days 4 and 5?

maxroddyp

Oct 2, 2024
not been able to watch but this test looks set to be an interesting contest, should aim to have declared by the end of the day

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A classic example of not judging a first innings until the other side has had a bat. Well done Root, Brook, and Duckett.

Edit: and Crawley, of course😊
I've not managed to see any yet but assume they're playing on an absolute road.

Pope must be FUMMING.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Do you think he'll get there?
On current trajectory he’d get there by the end of 2027, I think it’s do-able. Especially if he finally cracks Australia and scores runs there next winter.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep, pretty much a road but never as easy batting under 'scoreboard pressure'. The pitch doesn't look like it's going to suddenly start misbehaving, either. Draw incoming.
Not entirely sure about that. Whilst a draw is most likely, if England score quick runs in two sessions, end up with a lead of over 100 and put Pakistan in after tea, we will then see if Pakistan cope with batting under scoreboard pressure and possibly a deteriorating pitch. What isn't going to happen is a Pakistan win.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Unless I'm mistaken, our dearly departed BG had issues with Root - specifically not going on to make a century from 50.

I wonder what he would make of today?!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Unless I'm mistaken, our dearly departed BG had issues with Root - specifically not going on to make a century from 50.

I wonder what he would make of today?!
BG was right about his conversion rate at that time, but his belief he wasn't worth his place in the team was a little questionable given that he was averaging over 50.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Another enthralling days play. Quite superb from England, this red ball reset doing wonders. High odds on the draw, personally if we get there without being bowled out I would bat past tea and give Pakistan last hour tomorrow. By then England should be 250+ in front, Pakistan will be absolutely exhausted and our bowlers well rested for two bites of the cherry with a newish ball tomorrow evening and following morning.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Another enthralling days play. Quite superb from England, this red ball reset doing wonders. High odds on the draw, personally if we get there without being bowled out I would bat past tea and give Pakistan last hour tomorrow. By then England should be 250+ in front, Pakistan will be absolutely exhausted and our bowlers well rested for two bites of the cherry with a newish ball tomorrow evening and following morning.
Fully agree.

(wrong account?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here