Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

creating an 80s compliation cd..

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Trufflehound said:
Alternatively, you could support Palace and get laughed off the board.

True but what right have Brighton fans got to do that? Yeah 1-0 but its taken you 16 years to do it. Still now you have got Falmer things will be so different eh? :lol: ;)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Brighton Bloke said:
TLO what gets your foot tapping then?
I made some suggestions on page 1 or 2, and fully expect some people to vehemently disagree with those choices, and respect their right to make those arguments.

Of course it's a matter of personal taste but

Wham!
Culture Club
Spandau Ballet
Duran Duran
A-ha!
T-Pau
Dead or Alive
Human League
Simple Minds
Thompson Twins and the like

were all a product of the safe, banal sugar-coated sickly-wrapped Thatcherite propaganda that we all had to stomach 20-25 years ago. I would happily play half my wages not to listen to them.

There are exceptions to my rule of music styles and genres - Propaganda's 'Duel', as someone else mentioned, is a great song, but I couldn't say I am a fan of Propaganda, or many bands you could place as being similar to them. Likewise, I think 2-Tone is brilliant, but for some reason I find the Selecter a bit boring.

Last edited:

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
The Large One said:
I made some suggestions on page 1 or 2, and fully expect some people to vehemently disagree with those choices, and respect their right to make those arguments.

Of course it's a matter of personal taste but

Wham!
Culture Club
Spandau Ballet
Duran Duran
A-ha!
T-Pau
Dead or Alive
Human League
Simple Minds

were all a product of the safe, banal sugar-coated sickly-wrapped Thatcherite propaganda that we all had to stomach 20-25 years ago. I would happily play half my wages not to listen to them.

There are exceptions to my rule of music styles and genres - Propaganda's 'Duel', as someone else mentioned, is a great song, but I couldn't say I am a fan of Propaganda, or many bands you could place as being similar to them. Likewise, I think 2-Tone is brilliant, but for some reason I find the Selecter a bit boring.

Crikey and I thought it was just pop music to be liked or discarded as you choose. I think I respect what you say but are you not looking at it in wee bit too much depth.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer needs to be on there to add some class to some of the absolute dross I've seen on this thread

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
Well here's my list:

FGTH - Two Tribes
Hipsway - The Honeythief
Re-Flex - The Politics Of Dancing
Orange Juice - Rip It Up
Kissing The Pink - The Last Film
Cure - Close To Me
It's Immaterial - Driving Away From Home
David Bowie - Let's Dance
Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
Stephen 'Tin-Tin' Duffy - Kiss Me
Waterboys - The Whole Of The Moon
Blancmange - Living On The Ceiling
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
Thomas Dolby - Hyperactive
Talk Talk - Life's What You Make It
Peter Gabriel - Games Without Frontiers
The Damned - Grimly Fiendish

Jul 20, 2003
Sonic said:
Well here's my list:

FGTH - Two Tribes
Hipsway - The Honeythief
Re-Flex - The Politics Of Dancing
Orange Juice - Rip It Up
Kissing The Pink - The Last Film
Cure - Close To Me
It's Immaterial - Driving Away From Home
David Bowie - Let's Dance
Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
Stephen 'Tin-Tin' Duffy - Kiss Me
Waterboys - The Whole Of The Moon
Blancmange - Living On The Ceiling
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
Thomas Dolby - Hyperactive
Talk Talk - Life's What You Make It
Peter Gabriel - Games Without Frontiers
The Damned - Grimly Fiendish

Hipsway - the honeythief was the soundtrack for my first job - 13 yrs old eastbourne seafront

I believe the word is TUUUUUUUUUUUUNE

listened to it again just now and it made me happy

it also made me want to put on a garish C&A cardigan, roll the sleaves up and ask a spotty girl if she fancied a burger

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
The Large One said:
Wham!
Culture Club
Spandau Ballet
Duran Duran
A-ha!
T-Pau
Dead or Alive
Human League
Simple Minds

The Thompson Twins were a great live band in their former incarnation as a 7/8 piece, mixing punk-funk and African rhythms in much the same way as Talking Heads. It was only when all the talented ones left and they went on as a trio that they become shite.

Likewise, the Human League were a good band before the talented ones went off and formed Heaven 17. I have fond memories of them supporting Siouxsie & the Banshees at the Rainbow, and playing Rock and Roll Part 1 as an encore, during which time the legendary Spizz (of Spizzoil, Spizzenergi etc fame) would dance around in a bacofoil suit doing a fantastic Gary Glitter impersonation (back in the days when it was still OK to like GG of course).

Dead or Alive were also very good in their early days. Wayne Hussey played with them before he went off to be in the Sisters of Mercy and the Mission. It's Been Hours Now and Number Eleven are two of the greatest Liverpool singles from the same early 80s boom that gave us Wah!, the Teardrop Explodes, and the Bunnymen, etc. Misty Circles is IMO probably THE best 12" dance track from that entire era. And say what you will about Pete Burns, alongside Ian McCulloch he unarguably had one of the best voices of the decade.

Every else though, I tend to agree with you.

Last edited:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Trufflehound said:

early 80s boom that gave us Wah!, the Teardrop Explodes, and the Bunnymen, etc. Misty Circles is IMO probably THE best 12" dance track from that entire era. And say what you will about Pete Burns, alongside Ian McCulloch he unarguably had one of the best voices of the decade.

Wah, teardrops and the bunnymen ...three great bands

add .. story of the blues to the list of great 80s tracks (or was it end of the 70s)
also and add the bunnymens..Rescue

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
The Auditor said:
Wah, teardrops and the bunnymen ...three great bands

add .. story of the blues to the list of great 80s tracks (or was it end of the 70s)

Xmas '82 I think.

Great song, and we should also add the Mighty Wah!'s Come Back (Story of the Reds) - John Peel's all-time favourite Liverpool song

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
kings in a catholic style-china crisis

black man ray-lloyd cole

police officer-smiley culture

anything by musical youth

electric avenue-eddie grant

Last edited:

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Has anyone mentioned the great war protest song that was number one for six weeks in the mid 80's, and was one of the first records to use sampling to make it to the top...?

19 by Paul Hardcastle.

At the time it was quite a remarkable record.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here