Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley for the conference

Crawley Boy

Oct 13, 2003
Crawley
Formerly Known as DEZ said:
I live in Crawley and always check out their result after Brightons. I played in the same school side as Ian Payne and was well chuffed to see him save the penalty. His wife gave birth to his first kid in midweek too - so not a bad week all in all!
That would have have been New Year's Day morning (6.30am I think it's been said), with him playing for Crawley in the afternoon. What a good lad he is.
:clap2:

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Cadman said:
They refused us permission to ground share when we were in desperate trouble.

Personally I hope they rot in the lower leagues.

I think you'll find it was Crawley Council who refused the groundshare - Crawley Town FC actually wanted it. It would have helped them financially and the ground would have been improved and extended. I think when permission was granted for Crawley's new ground at Broadfield some kind of assurance was given to local residents that prevented a groundshare that would bring additional crowds and traffic.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think the residents were worried about crowd trouble between brighton and crawley/palace fans after town centre clashes following friendlies etc

Crawley Boy

Oct 13, 2003
Crawley
Fran Hagarty said:
I think when permission was granted for Crawley's new ground at Broadfield some kind of assurance was given to local residents that prevented a groundshare that would bring additional crowds and traffic.
There was a public meeting in Broadfield where local residents raised concerns about the number of games that would be played at the stadium. The Council said from the outset that Brighton groundsharing would not be an option.

As Fran also said the stadium would have also been brought up to league standard sooner if they'd have given the nod, as opposed to the 4996 capacity that it has at the moment. Still, if Crawley do manage to win the DMLP this season, and I did say if, the Council should have some money set aside to increase it to at least 6000 for Conference football.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
When we go on the train to a big Albion game from Horsham,you get a fair few get on at Crawley and Three Bridges,although they could have changed lines.

Max's Dad

Jan 2, 2004
Eastbourne
As an occasional visitor to Priory Lane it's apparent even to casual fans how much ambition there is at Eastbourne Borough, who despite a dip in form stand a good chance of making Conference II and then continuing their meteoric rise into the Conference I.

With Crawley, Bognor, Burgess Hill and Lewes also doing well (let's leave Hastings out of the debate for a few seasons) there is unusually intense competition for support in Sussex.

Some people enjoy the spontenaeity of just turning up at a ground, getting a great view of the pitch, and STANDING wherever you want, all for a reasonable price.

How much of this is true for Brighton at Withdean? It's no surprise to me that crowds have dipped. The problem Brighton face is that people are getting out of the habit of attending, and by the time the ground situation is resolved, a lot of individuals and families will have switched their affections to lower-league clubs.

I wish all Sussex non-league clubs success (and I only grudgingly put Crawley into the county) but there may well be knock-on effects for th'Albion.

Nov 3, 2003
i wish Crawley Town FC all the best they deserve to be up they have always started well then faded at the last furlong in past seasons and having seen them a few times the difference in std ftball aint that much, but money and larger crowds they should do well if they make the conference. They would assuming its pay on gate and cant see why wouldnt be they will take some Albion fans that cant be bothered appliying for tickets and wanna see a game at short notice, with that in mind id say its bad news for the Albion should they get in the conference. Anyone remember the FA Cup game vs Albion at Goldstone massive crowd, horses on pitch, Crawley fans (few pal@rse thrown in) in good attendance and Cralwey get about 1000 at home at moment so cant see why they cant at least double that in the conference.

Dez

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
I remember the game at the Goldstone. My PE teacher (Mr Venebles) was playing for Crawley. I went in the Crawley end but secretely wanted Brighton to win. The atmosphere was brilliant and the Crawley following huge. It just shows what potential Crawley could have if they made the league.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
FFS

Beat the league leaders and then lose 1-0 at Grantham.

So still 3 points behind, with no game in hand.

Dr Martens Premier
as at 6/1/04 P W D L F A Pts
1 Weymouth 23 12 8 3 44 20 44
2 Crawley Town 23 11 9 4 40 26 41

Crawley Boy

Oct 13, 2003
Crawley
Max's Dad said:
Nice stadium, the Broadfield, though why they built it with one of the touchlines practically on the A23 is beyond me.:dunce:
Believe or not there is enough room for a similar seated stand between the pitch and the A23 to what there is there already. Whether it'll ever be built mind is another thing.

Nov 3, 2003
the keeper made a LITTLE mistake handling outside his area I BELIEVE shame the ref didnt CHER his opinion, otherwise they'd be top wot id be interested to know is if they made the football league would we consider them rivals? as bad a Pal@rse or the PortSCUMouth? or perhaps 3rd in line or not rivals at all?

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
perth seagull said:
Do many people from up there support the Albion? I used to live near Crawley, and I don't remember much support for the Seagulls. I don't think it would have much of an impact on Brighton's support base if Crawley made it to the Conference. Besides, we're the bigger club and if we ever did become successful, we would attract more supporters from there.

I live & work in Crawley and have been an Albion Season ticket holder for twenty years I would support Albion how ever far Crawley go up. It would be nice to watch a Crawley conference side when I cant get to Albion away games
Theres quite a few Albion fans hereabouts

Attachments

• sigull.jpg
    sigull.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 28

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here