Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley for the conference

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
perth seagull said:
Do many people from up there support the Albion? I used to live near Crawley, and I don't remember much support for the Seagulls. ...

Agree with you as far as Crawley itself is concerned. In the 70s I remember it being full of Chelsea supporters - and this was when WE were doing well! I was thinking more of the impact on places like Horsham, Haywards Heath etc.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Haywards Heath is a Brighton town. I don't think people would swap support but they may go to watch the odd game at Crawley.

I think of Crawley as a Chelsea town rather than Palace (and other London clubs of course).

The people I work with support London clubs but they all (seem) to have a soft spot for Brighton.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex seems to be full of people that will support successful clubs to me, no matter what league they are in.

Is this why Rumble has started going to Crawley games?? JUDAS! JUDAS!

Oct 13, 2003
The back of beyond
edna krabappel said:
If you read his Sunday People column at the weekend, Claridge was ranting about how many cloggers there are in his league, who have the nerve to tackle and (shock) sometimes even foul the great man himself. Self important twat. Hopefully Crawley made him choke on his after match beer.

If you had witnessed either of Weymouth's matches against Dorchester over the festive period you would appreciate exactly what Steve was saying in his column. The same Dorchester player was sent off in both games. In the New Years Day fixture the tackle made on Claridge was a career threatening one and there has been talk of the Dorchester player being kicked out of the club.

Cadman

Jul 7, 2003
They refused us permission to ground share when we were in desperate trouble.

Personally I hope they rot in the lower leagues.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Brovian said:
I was thinking more of the impact on places like Horsham, Haywards Heath etc.

As I said earlier:

"As far as catchment areas, Horsham is the last real Brighton town and as a resident of it I can assure you that its population would not ditch brighton for a bunch of mockney tossers."

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Mid Sussex seems to be full of people that will support successful clubs to me, no matter what league they are in.

Is this why Rumble has started going to Crawley games?? JUDAS! JUDAS!

Sussex is big enough for 2 league clubs.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think if Crawley made the Conference or (heaven forbid) the league, they would be a well supported team. They regularly pull crowds over 1000 which is pretty good for the DM League.

I don't particularly want them to do well as I have to work there and as a town it sucks big time, but they do have a good set up for football. And it was funny to see Claridge's big spending (relatively speaking) team get beaten, even if I didn't realise how bad some of the tackling was.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
perth seagull said:
Do many people from up there support the Albion? I used to live near Crawley, and I don't remember much support for the Seagulls.

I moved up to Crawley 3 years ago from Brighton, and Crawley is full of Palarse and Chelsea.
It makes me sick, it more South London than West Sussex.

I follow Crawley's results and go to the occasional game, however don't expect them to be top come the end of the season, they have a habit of starting well then fall away badly in the second half of the season.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Richie Morris said:
I got asked to go to Crawley at Under 18s but didnt because I hate Crawley as a place and the people who live there (though there are some exceptions). It is a crap Palace town and most people there hate Brighton with a passion. As far as catchment areas, Horsham is the last real Brighton town and as a resident of it I can assure you that its population would not ditch brighton for a bunch of mockney tossers.

Well said that man. No true Horsham Footbasll fan would piss on cralwey town fc if they were on fire.

Horsham has a fairly decent brighton support and not one of them that I know would ever support crawley.

Crawley Boy

Oct 13, 2003
Crawley
Cadman said:
They refused us permission to ground share when we were in desperate trouble.

Personally I hope they rot in the lower leagues.
That wasn't the football club, that was the Borough Council. I think you'll find that there was quite a few at the time that would have welcomed Brighton to the Broadfield Stadium, giving them more football to watch.

BurberrySkinnedMonster said:
I moved up to Crawley 3 years ago from Brighton, and Crawley is full of Palarse and Chelsea.
It makes me sick, it more South London than West Sussex.

I follow Crawley's results and go to the occasional game, however don't expect them to be top come the end of the season, they have a habit of starting well then fall away badly in the second half of the season.
You seem to forget that when Crawley developed as a New Town a lot of people from South London actually moved to Crawley. They may well have something to do with it, don't you think? ;)

And as for starting well and drifting away. That may have been the case in previous seasons but any drift has usually started by now. Yep some fans may have expected to fall away but the results are still positive at the moment. After Boxing Day Crawley were 8 points behind Weymouth in 2nd. If they win tomorrow they will be level, only 2nd on goal difference. Not a bad fortnights work if that's the case come 9.30pm tomorrow night.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I live in Crawley having moved here in 1976 and have supported Brighton since then (but then I did come from Stevenage and there was no team to support at that time). :ascarf:

My daughter still wears my 1983 Wembley BHA shirt to Winchester University - with pride! :drink:

It's true that there's a lot of new-found, glory-hunter Chelsea supporters around here (you can watch them going thru Three Bridges Station every Saturday). :nono:

As for (not) ground-sharing, it was the bloody local Council and their short-term, blinkered thinking that wouldn't help BHA in their time of need - Bastards !!!!!

:flameboun
:ascarf:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It was definitely Crawley Borough Council who vetoed the Albion using the Broadfield Stadium.

Crawley Town were keen for the Albion to share, the decision to refuse was purely down to the council.

Dez

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
I live in Crawley and always check out their result after Brightons. I played in the same school side as Ian Payne and was well chuffed to see him save the penalty. His wife gave birth to his first kid in midweek too - so not a bad week all in all!

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Brovian said:
Hmm. I've mixed feelings. I know in terms of radius there is quite a large gap between us and the nearest league clubs, but leaving aside the south coast strip most of our 'catchment area' is either fields (with the occasional village) or blue sea.

Would we lose mid-Sussex support if Crawley got into the League?

Agree with you there. I live in Burgess Hill but have never liked Burgess Hill Town FC (there's a history to that) and as for Crawley - No! I wouldn't support or watch either. (Born & bred in Hove!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here