Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classic Tony Wilson quote about Sid Vicious.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I will take your word for it, and thank my lucky stars I did not have to endure the mass hysteria for an overhyped boy band full of blaggards and copycats ;)
My pal and neighbour, Bob the retired social worker, aged 82, saw the Beatles multiple times at the Cavern and elsewhere in the North West, back to when Pete Best was in the band and up to the last gig when they had all the new kit, and the suits. And he says there were quite something. But I deleted what I had of theirs on my iPods because their music irritates me now.

Thing about the Pistols....there was the Anarchy in the UK single. That was great, and impactful. By the time Pretty Vacant and Holiday in the Sun came out, they were 'other' and had been superseded but cutting-edge new sounds, such as the magnificent Magazine. Their first London gig was such an event. In the end, the Pistols were a very good pub rock band with an interesting singer. A band that basically didn't play live when they should have done, thanks to their arse of a manager.

As for Sid, we read Viv Albertine's autobiog a couple of years ago, and saw her one woman interview show here in Faversham. How she put up with Sid pissing the bed is beyond me.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Thank god.
I was thinking that, Daniels was superb, I think Lydon would have almost turned it into a bit of a panto.

Clearly the punters would have flocked to the cinema's but all these years later would it be viewed as a turkey rather than the classic film it is?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is he? Oh. That’s disappointing.
Lydon has lost his mind someowhat in the last few years. Caring for his wife dying from dementia probably didn't help.

Underneath every outspoken wild-eyed (young) man is someone struggling with things.

I found Lydon an inspiration when I was in my late teens. Absolutely no compromise with idiots. Some rather silly (but amusing) sweeping statements ("never rust a hippy" etc.). Far more important than the Pistols themselves. Early PiL showing the innovation and creativity the Pistols lacked. He's not someone you could be 'pals' with, though. He has some sort of neurodiversity that makes him constantly focused on his own process (except when it comes to Nora) and that makes him tiring, if not tiresome.

As for Lydon's Trump-love, he enjoys controversialism and contrariness. And I have been backing away from criticising run of the mill American Trump voters over the last few years. They are not all MAGA morons. America is a funny old place and, to all intents and purposes, Lydon has been an American for decades. I am sure he loves the effect his apparent admiration for Trump has on people.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Lydon has lost his mind someowhat in the last few years. Caring for hos with dying from dementia probably didn't help.

Underneath every outspoken wild-eyed (young) man is someone struggling with things.

I found Lydon an inspiration when I was in my late teens. Absolutely no compromise with idiots. Some rather silly (but amusing) sweeping statements ("never rust a hippy" etc.). Far more important than the Pistols themselves. Early PiL showing the innovation and creativity the Pistols lacked. He's not someone you could be 'pals' with, though. He has some sort of neurodiversity that makes him constantly focused on his own process (except when it comes to Nora) and that makes him tiring, if not tiresome.

As for Lydon's Trump-love, he enjoys controversialism and contrariness. And I have been backing away from criticising run of the mill American Trump voters over the last few years. They are not all MAGA morons. America is a funny old place and, to all intents and purposes, Lydon has been an American for decades. I am sure he loves the effect his apparent admiration for Trump has on people.
I don’t know about his politics. Seen him do his spoken word shows a couple of times.

He talked about caring for his wife and I found it rather touching.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Lydon has lost his mind someowhat in the last few years. Caring for hos with dying from dementia probably didn't help.

I've often been chastised on NSC for my love of the late, and much missed, Bernard Manning :lolol:

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
NMH had an interesting story about Lydon. How true it was, who knows.

This thread definitely has some un pc comments by NMH by modern NSC standards, don’t open if easily offended.

It has stuck in my mind because of the number of celebrities of the time he claimed to know.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here