Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classic Tony Wilson quote about Sid Vicious.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would say the original line up were very significant in the history of British popular music, is it not the case that their Manchester gig at the Free Trade Hall in the mid 70's spawned the Buzzcocks, Joy Division/New Order and Simply Red ( :facepalm: ), as the likes of Pete Shelley, Peter Hook, Barney Sumner and Mick Hucknall were all in attendance and said the experience prompted their own musical ambitions?
Absolutely.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of course the Pistols were overrated. They took all the plaudits, but as the music press has since confirmed, punk, like blues, country, soul, hip hop, jungle, funk, metal, electro, disco, reggae, opera, folk, chamber music and cavemen bashing stretched animal skins with bones, was all the invention of four young lads from Liverpool. ;)
This guy doesn’t agree, it was 4 lads from Dussledorf

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
This guy doesn’t agree, it was 4 lads from Dussledorf

Kraftwerk influenced Tubeway Army imo, that’s enough for me to say I’m OUT

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Of course the Pistols were overrated. They took all the plaudits, but as the music press has since confirmed, punk, like blues, country, soul, hip hop, jungle, funk, metal, electro, disco, reggae, opera, folk, chamber music and cavemen bashing stretched animal skins with bones, was all the invention of four young lads from Liverpool. ;)
Don't get me started...

515d555ec98f6e045ab24a7923ba1692.gif

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
He was spot on with the man in the street though. Vast swathes of the public are ****s.
That's why I'm torn about Climate Change. Part of me thinks be Green and save the environment/humanity, but increasingly, part of me thinks, Nah, too many people are dumb ****s and humanity is awful, so not worth saving.

I hate thinking this way, but when I look around me at the cruelty, selfishness, ignorance and violence of so many people, I think they deserve what's coming.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's why I'm torn about Climate Change. Part of me thinks be Green and save the environment/humanity, but increasingly, part of me thinks, Nah, too many people are dumb ****s and humanity is awful, so not worth saving.

I hate thinking this way, but when I look around me at the cruelty, selfishness, ignorance and violence of so many people, I think they deserve what's coming.
My comment was based more on how I sometime see the public interact with fellow humans who work in public facing jobs. But I get your point.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

Sad but true. Anyway, back to the Hacienda…I used to be a regular at back in the day. Great times! Loved Tony Wilson, what a man. St Antony, St Antony, please come around. Because something is lost, that cannot be found.

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
Steve Jones’ bio Lonely Boy has quite a lot on Sid, ‘I wish we’d called him something nicer and he wouldn’t have played up to it so much’ and it’s quite sad how it went for him. Good book, very funny and honest.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I will bite 🙂. In what way were they overrated? They certainly had a significant impact to both music and culture, this cannot be denied in my opinion, but I’m interested to know why you think this is overrated.
Oh look somebody kind of answered for me in a later post. I might also add that I was not too impressed with trying too hard to be controversial and outrageous. It was all a bit forced for me like swearing on live TV. As musicians I thought they were a little bit limited and I'm always genuinely surprised at some of the artists who said they were an influence.

At the same time you also had The Stranglers. Of course they were never punk but they ticked many of the boxes. Mean, moody, strained relations with the media, controversial scrapes and lively gigs with their Finchley Boys in attendance. However, as musicians they were streets ahead particularly with JJB and Dave Greenfield.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Sex Pistols slotted into the emerging zeitgeist rather than influenced it in any significant way. Good timing is all.

I used to think Johnny Rotten was a total fuckwit and to a large degree he was. But what he has become more than makes up for his affected buffoonery in the 70’s.

Very interesting and intelligent chap. And I love PiL.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The Sex Pistols slotted into the emerging zeitgeist rather than influenced it in any significant way. Good timing is all.

I used to think Johnny Rotten was a total fuckwit and to a large degree he was. But what he has become more than makes up for his affected buffoonery in the 70’s.

Very interesting and intelligent chap. And I love PiL.
A Trump loving dickhead?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Came across this down a You Tube rabbit hole last night, turns out John Lydon was the original choice for the part of 'Jimmy' before Phil Daniels, but according to Ms Wilcox no one would insure a film with 'Johnny Rotten' in it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here