Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classic Tony Wilson quote about Sid Vicious.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
"I asked Sid Vicious, when he produces his music does he think about the man in the street? He replied "I've met the man in the street and he's a C***"

Came across it the other day whilst watching a You Tube documentary about the Hacienda.

Dear old Sid, been dead 45 years next month.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Amazing how many absolute ****s become cult heroes!
He was spot on with the man in the street though. Vast swathes of the public are ****s.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No tin hat required. I might need to borrow it when I state that I thought the Sex Pistols were overrated in terms of their contribution to the musical landscape back then.
I will bite 🙂. In what way were they overrated? They certainly had a significant impact to both music and culture, this cannot be denied in my opinion, but I’m interested to know why you think this is overrated.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Nah, he's been 45 years already. He died in February 1979, I remember the date well as it was my dad's birthday (Nancy died in October though, but in 1978)
Apologies old boy, you are spot on, a Friday I recall as it was front page on my Grandad's Daily Mail on the Sat.

Did his Mum allegedly not give him the drugs that killed him?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I will bite 🙂. In what way were they overrated? They certainly had a significant impact to both music and culture, this cannot be denied in my opinion, but I’m interested to know why you think this is overrated.
The sound at the time was dominated by those who released music that sounded different. The Clash. The Damned. I liked the Pistols but Jones and Matlock were into 70s British pop rock and it shows. Anarchy in the UK did an awful lot of heavy lifting, but it was hardly archetypal 'punk rock'.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Story in Danny Baker's book where he and some wiry builder mates were accosted by Sid in the street.
'Give me 50p you ####'.
One of the Baker group simply walked over and smacked him on the bugle.
As I said, it's a 'story'.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Apologies old boy, you are spot on, a Friday I recall as it was front page on my Grandad's Daily Mail on the Sat.

Did his Mum allegedly not give him the drugs that killed him?
I don't normally remember what day celebrities (using the term loosely) die but that one was a vivid memory.

There's all sorts of confusion as to where he got the drugs from - as often with addicts, he's hard to know what's reality and what's not. His mum was certainly known to have supplied him with drugs in the past.

What a sad life he led though. One of those people who should have been saved from his excesses but too many hangers-on encouraging him

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I would say the original line up were very significant in the history of British popular music, is it not the case that their Manchester gig at the Free Trade Hall in the mid 70's spawned the Buzzcocks, Joy Division/New Order and Simply Red ( :facepalm: ), as the likes of Pete Shelley, Peter Hook, Barney Sumner and Mick Hucknall were all in attendance and said the experience prompted their own musical ambitions?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Who is Tony Wilson and why would he be asking Sid Vicious about producing music? Sid could barely play music let alone produce it :lolol:

I grew up during the punk era and still listen to the Sex Pistols today. But Sid "producing his music" not a chance.:lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Who is Tony Wilson and why would he be asking Sid Vicious about producing music? Sid could barely play music let alone produce it :lolol:

I grew up during the punk era and still listen to the Sex Pistols today. But Sid "producing his music" not a chance.:lolol:
Ran the Hacienda and Factory records. Pretty much responsible for “Madchester”.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Of course the Pistols were overrated. They took all the plaudits, but as the music press has since confirmed, punk, like blues, country, soul, hip hop, jungle, funk, metal, electro, disco, reggae, opera, folk, chamber music and cavemen bashing stretched animal skins with bones, was all the invention of four young lads from Liverpool. ;)

schmunk

VAR is a net positive
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Of course the Pistols were overrated. They took all the plaudits, but as the music press has since confirmed, punk, like blues, country, soul, hip hop, jungle, funk, metal, electro, disco, reggae, opera, folk, chamber music and cavemen bashing stretched animal skins with bones, was all the invention of four young lads from Liverpool. ;)
Is this Groundhog Day?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here