Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bryan Robson:"The greatest talent that England has ever produced"

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Above average, but not much more. He also injured a lot of the time; he hardly played in the two seasons when United won the title.

He was 36 wasn't he by the time Fergie won his first MU title?

I'd judge him on his England career though, and he single handedly on many occasions dragged England into tournaments or raised their overall game. Think Beckham v Greece and this was Robson v many other teams on many occasions. The world cups in '86 and '90 could have been much different had his shoulder not given out in both tournaments. He was that good for England who knows if we'd gone on had he stayed fit. . If you think of how close those 2 knock out games were, think Robbo would have made the difference. We wouldn't have been watching Maradona leaving Peter Reid for dead ad-infinitum because there's no way Maradona is making that run from there with Robson in midfield.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
OK we'll leave it there

The earliest data I can find on physical demands on footballers comes from a study on Everton in the mid-70s. It found the average player ran 8.6km per game, with midfielders doing under 10k. Nowadays all players average over 10k and midfielders sometimes hit 13k in a game. The same study noted exercises to improve power or physical strength were entirely absent from training sessions.

A 2013 study revealed that Premier League players were running 30% further at higher intensity than they had been in 2006.

Just looking a photos of players now compared to 30 years ago shows you how much the game's changed.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
So how many games did you go to the 1980's

To make you such an expert?

There's a reason world records are continually being set in sports.

Sports people are getting better at the sports.

The fact athletes/footballers etc are getting stronger, faster and more athletic can't really be argued. It's pretty obvious.

I imagine the above will be dismissed however as I was born in 1986.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He was 36 wasn't he by the time Fergie won his first MU title?

I'd judge him on his England career though, and he single handedly on many occasions dragged England into tournaments or raised their overall game. Think Beckham v Greece and this was Robson v many other teams on many occasions. The world cups in '86 and '90 could have been much different had his shoulder not given out in both tournaments. He was that good for England who knows if we'd gone on had he stayed fit. . If you think of how close those 2 knock out games were, think Robbo would have made the difference. We wouldn't have been watching Maradona leaving Peter Reid for dead ad-infinitum because there's no way Maradona is making that run from there with Robson in midfield.

Maybe he did “single handedly on many occasions dragged England into tournaments” , I can’t remember any specific examples though, can you? This is more a reflection of my bad memory than the validity of your statement. This doesn’t make him England’s best midfielder. And beyond the qualifying games your case is based on supposition. Sadly, when the biggest games and periods of his United and England career presented themselves he was injured and not able to truly prove his ability; we will never know.

Last edited:

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
There's a reason world records are continually being set in sports.

Sports people are getting better at the sports.

The fact athletes/footballers etc are getting stronger, faster and more athletic can't really be argued. It's pretty obvious.

I imagine the above will be dismissed however as I was born in 1986.

Skill has something to do with it too

If Pascal Gross was as skilful as Johann Cruyff I'd agree with you

But he wasn't, not even close

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The best English midfielder I’ve ever seen in 35 years of watching football.

He played in a fairly average Man Utd side at times, and yet they still won plenty of trophies, many of which were down to him.

Such a rounded player, he could do pretty much anything and one of the few players of yesteryear, who wouldn’t look out of place in the game of today.

Quote below from Jimmy Greaves

“As a midfield player, Robson had everything – goals, passing, tackling, and a remarkable work-rate. Captain Marvel for Manchester United and England and a true leader who was brave to a fault, injuries prevented him from reaching a deserved century of England caps. The outstanding British footballer of the 1980s who stuck around to inspire United’s re-emergence as England’s top club side under Sir Alex Ferguson. His namesake Bobby Robson swore by him during eight years in charge of the national team, and judges don’t come any shrewder than Bobby and Fergie.”

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Maybe he did “single handedly on many occasions dragged England into tournaments” , I can’t remember any specific examples though, can you? This is more a reflection of my bad memory than the validity of your statement. This doesn’t make him England’s best midfielder. And beyond the qualifying games your case is based on supposition. Sadly, when the biggest games and periods of his United and England career presented themselves he was injured and not able to truly prove his ability; we will never know.

I didn’t say he was England’s best, I was replying to your ‘above average’ - which if we’re talking supposition, is a far better example, or just plain bad memory / guesswork.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I didn’t say he was England’s best, I was replying to your ‘above average’ - which if we’re talking supposition, is a far better example, or just plain bad memory / guesswork.

?? I know you didn’t explicitly say this …..But my response was in the context of the original post ie him being England’s best. I said he is above average, but not best, in this context.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
?? I know you didn’t explicitly say this …..But my response was in the context of the original post ie him being England’s best. I said he is above average, but not best, in this context.

I’ve never taken ‘above average’ to be much of a compliment…

Except form the wife of course.:D

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ve never taken ‘above average’ to be much of a compliment…

Except form the wife of course.:D

I’m still aiming for above average….one day. :lolol:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Bit unfair to mark players of old down for their fitness as if they were around today they would have had access to the same training as today's players.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bit unfair to mark players of old down for their fitness as if they were around today they would have had access to the same training as today's players.

Exactly, imagine how good Best would have been with the protection modern players get from officials and not having Chopper Harris trying to cut you in half.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
We were poor in 82 when he played ... but yes maybe he'd have taken a pen instead of Waddle in 90. 86 we were going out in that QF whatever. Diego wasn't going to be denied

Played all 3 in Euro 88 as well......where England lost all 3.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yep, and the 2 crucial home games we dropped points in, 0-0 Greece and 0-1 Denmark, guess who was missing?

That's obviously because Sir Bobby Robson didn't possess the footballing genius of his successor to adapt to the situation and pick a team that can get the necessary result without Bryan Robson in it or had Carlton Palmer to call upon - I remember the clamour in the press before the game in Pozan in 1991 for the crucial Euro 92 qualifier against Poland - 'bring back Robson' 'Robbo's the man for the point in Poznan' etc - Graham Taylor held firm though and picked Geoff Thomas, Andy Gray and Andy Sinton in the starting XI and put Tony Daley on the bench as the midfield ace up the sleeve to terrify the Poles - end result was we're on our way to Sweden without Captain Marvel.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's obviously because Sir Bobby Robson didn't possess the footballing genius of his successor to adapt to the situation and pick a team that can get the necessary result without Bryan Robson in it or had Carlton Palmer to call upon - I remember the clamour in the press before the game in Pozan in 1991 for the crucial Euro 92 qualifier against Poland - 'bring back Robson' 'Robbo's the man for the point in Poznan' etc - Graham Taylor held firm though and picked Geoff Thomas, Andy Gray and Andy Sinton in the starting XI and put Tony Daley on the bench as the midfield ace up the sleeve to terrify the Poles - end result was we're on our way to Sweden without Captain Marvel.

That all went well for him. Ended Lineker's career as well. What memories. 1994 world cup was fab as well without all the hassle of getting nervous about England playing...

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
He was delighted to meet me and shake my hand outside Old Trafford on Sunday, looked well too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here