Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Banks

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
can they ever be trusted again?
partialy responsible for the problems we are in at the moment.
allowed free rein by weak governments

should British banks be nationalised?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I never trusted them in the first place. They're there to make themselves money (quite rightly).
There's the problem. Those in charge of something so powerful need to be held more accountable.
:lol: just when we thought it couldn't get any worse.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012

No. That's a bad idea. However, there needs to be more control around bankers activities and more accountability. It seems these rookies can play with peoples money with little to no consequence.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
99% of the people on here coating off fat cat bankers would rip your arm off for a high paying job as a broker or trader, just the same as 99% of the crowds you see burning the stars and stripes in some 3rd world shithole would give their right arm for a green card.

****** waits for the predictable response of " dont judge everyone by your own standards " from people who KNOW they are never going to be faced with the choice******

Last edited:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Now sitting on piles of taxpayer funded cash and still not lending to businesses - SCUMBAGS the lot of them.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
99% of the people on here coating off fat cat bankers would rip your arm off for a high paying job as a broker or trader, just the same as 99% of the crowds you see burning the stars and stripes in some 3rd world shithole would give their right arm for a green card.

****** waits for the predictable response of " dont judge everyone by your own standards " from people who KNOW they are never going to be faced with the choice******

What's your point?

D

Deleted member 22389

Being honest with you, having my health, my family means more to me than earning loads of money and at least I can sleep easy at night knowing I have not ripped people off. The greedy bastards who fiddled the system will get their pay back in one form or another.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Agreed - it's very easy to criticise from the sidelines ( look at opposition parties v the government ). It's very similar to the tax avoidance issue - everyone who can't minimise their tax payments slams those that do. But you can bet if they earned millions they would hire an accountant who would look to minimise their tax ( although maybe not the level of Jimmy Carr ! ).

We need well run and profitable banks - that's how we will all be able to borrow money for mortgages etc. Nationalisation is not the answer - there is no incentive on nationalised companies to improve and look after the customer thus winning more customers. You only have to look at how poor British Rail and BT were before privatisation.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Being honest with you, having my health, my family means more to me than earning loads of money and at least I can sleep easy at night knowing I have not ripped people off. The greedy bastards who fiddled the system will get their pay back in one form or another.

... I’m a true, simple labourer: I earn what I eat, get what I wear, hate no man, envy no man’s happiness, am happy for other men’s good fortune and satisfied with my own bad fortune ...

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
... I’m a true, simple labourer: I earn what I eat, get what I wear, hate no man, envy no man’s happiness, am happy for other men’s good fortune and satisfied with my own bad fortune ...

A poet if ever Gwylan. Nice words.

I don't blame the bankers, I blame the governments of Europe who from 2000->2007 proceeded with a print and lend as much money as you want philosophy, creating a financial mess that current governments are sadly having to clear up after. Nationalising the banks won't work any more than nationalising the energy or infrastrucutre travel systems would. Governements are unable to efficiently manage and run things, fact.

TNBA

TTF

99% of the people on here coating off fat cat bankers would rip your arm off for a high paying job as a broker or trader
That's the WORST thing about the financial crisis. The people responsible for it still seem to set the tone for the aspirations of much of the wider society.

They are crooks, who commit crimes, but they are allowed to get away with it, as long as it's only their employer who gets fined. Even if their bonuses are dented, they maintain their highliving lifestyles. People still aspire to join them in their adventures with cash, even though they are destroying the world economy. Yet no-one can stop them.

Banking and the other financial professions didn't used to be like this. Sure, there were crooks. But they were dealt with. The institutions were fundamentally trusted. Now they are not.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yes . Let's
Banks- 2 staff per customer in branches all not giving a F**K about the customer. All running at a loss and subsidised.

At least unemployment would fall though :)

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
That's the WORST thing about the financial crisis. The people responsible for it still seem to set the tone for the aspirations of much of the wider society.

They are crooks, who commit crimes, but they are allowed to get away with it, as long as it's only their employer who gets fined. Even if their bonuses are dented, they maintain their highliving lifestyles. People still aspire to join them in their adventures with cash, even though they are destroying the world economy. Yet no-one can stop them.

Banking and the other financial professions didn't used to be like this. Sure, there were crooks. But they were dealt with. The institutions were fundamentally trusted. Now they are not.

I was talking to somebody last night about how I'd have LOVED to have worked in the city pre big bang.

This is an interesting read :The Death of Gentlemanly Capitalism: The Rise and Fall of Londons Investment Banks Penguin business: Amazon.co.uk: Philip Augar: Books

D

Deleted member 22389

Completely agree with you. No accountability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here