Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Banks

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Where did all the money go from the earlier rounds of quantitative easing? It was supposed to be given to the banks so that they could get lending moving to businesses again but, it would appear that, they just used it to prop up their balance sheets.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Where did all the money go from the earlier rounds of quantitative easing? It was supposed to be given to the banks so that they could get lending moving to businesses again but, it would appear that, they just used it to prop up their balance sheets.

yes, but then there's regulations being introduced that instruct the financial institutions to increase their reserves. talk about mixed messages.

D

Deleted member 22389

Which part of Barclays being fined £60 million, the guilty traders being sacked, and criminal charges being looked into tells you that there is no accountability.

Criminal charges being looked in to, is that against the bank or the individuals and will it even happen?

Most people have lost faith in the system that controls us, me being one of them.

Which part of Barclays being fined £60 million, the guilty traders being sacked, and criminal charges being looked into tells you that there is no accountability.
1. The fact that this sort of behaviour is being treated as if it was merely the actions of a few "bad apples".
2. The fact that it will happen again.
3. The fact that the role of banking institutions is still seen as being critical to economic recovery.
4. The fact that governments are terrified of regulating the banks for fear that this will disrupt any economic recovery.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No, just 99%.

Happy to be in the one percent. (Althought i think your figure is, as ever, plucked out of your arse)

I love my job and wouldn't swap it for anyother. What i lack in cash flow i more than make up for in a feeling of helping people and sleeping well at night (without the need for chemical assistance) knowing I have made some positive impact on someones life.

Don't tar us all with your brush.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
1. The fact that this sort of behaviour is being treated as if it was merely the actions of a few "bad apples".
2. The fact that it will happen again.
3. The fact that the role of banking institutions is still seen as being critical to economic recovery.
4. The fact that governments are terrified of regulating the banks for fear that this will disrupt any economic recovery.
Point 1:it was
Point 2:Human nature dictates that something of this nature will, its something you cannot legislate aqainst .Point 3 :They are crucial to economic recovery, quite why this is seen as evidence of unaccountability is a bit of a mystery to me. Point 4: I dont agree.

The bad apples point ...

If you are an unethical doctor, a bad social worker, an incompetent teacher or a mis-behaving nurse, you can be punished and banned from practising. If you work in the world of finance and show similar characteristics, there is another highflying job in the sector still available to you.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Point 2:Human nature dictates that something of this nature will, its something you cannot legislate aqainst .Point 3 :They are crucial to economic recovery, quite why this is seen as evidence of unaccountability is a bit of a mystery to me. Point 4: I dont agree.

The banks caused the GFC because they were not regulated tightly enough. We cannot regulate them tightly now because we will not be able to get out of the GFC.

Bonkers!

D

Deleted member 22389

On point 3 and this is something I still do not understand. How are they crucial to our economic recovery?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Happy to be in the one percent. (Althought i think your figure is, as ever, plucked out of your arse) I love my job and wouldn't swap it for anyother. What i lack in cash flow i more than make up for in a feeling of helping people and sleeping well at night (without the need for chemical assistance) knowing I have made some positive impact on someones life.

Don't tar us all with your brush.
No, No, No of course it wasnt , I have made a comprehensive study to back it up .

Of course it f***ing was , I cannot believe you felt the need to comment on the OBVIOUSLY plucked from my arse , figure of speech, number.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The bad apples point ...

If you are an unethical doctor, a bad social worker, an incompetent teacher or a mis-behaving nurse, you can be punished and banned from practising. If you work in the world of finance and show similar characteristics, there is another highflying job in the sector still available to you.
Unfortunately this shows your ignorance , I can highlight numerous cases where people have been bannned for life from ever working in the city again.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No, No, No of course it wasnt , I have made a comprehensive study to back it up .

Of course it f***ing was , I cannot believe you felt the need to comment on the OBVIOUSLY plucked from my arse , figure of speech, number.

It was only in brackets. ;)

It seemed to be pretty central to your argument, so i thought i would point it out. Maybe you could do a little research and give us a more considered figure to base your argument on.

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The banks caused the GFC because they were not regulated tightly enough. We cannot regulate them tightly now because we will not be able to get out of the GFC.

Bonkers!
Reference point 4, I dont agree that the government is terrified of regulating the banks, I really dont think this was an unclear point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here