Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton vs Gills Official Thread

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
True, but as a counterpoint to that, what about the repeated shouts for Robinson to stay up front and get out the box when defending a corner? When he did exactly that on the third corner after he came on, there was a massive ironic cheer from the south stand. The result of the corner - goal.

The bloke behind me who had loudly been giving Wilkins a load of stick for this was strangely quiet after that.
What was stupid about that was it appeared to be done in reaction to the crowd - that's no way to manage! I'd prefer we left one or two up on corners and free kicks BUT that should all be worked out on the training ground rather than done on the whim of the south stand.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Gillingham had nine men and when defending a corner put two men on the halfway line. Result we had three men staying back.
We had ten men in our own box defending a corner the result Gillingham were allowed to have all their players in our box. Where is the tactical sense in that?

I think they were taking risks we didn't need to, no?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
True, but as a counterpoint to that, what about the repeated shouts for Robinson to stay up front and get out the box when defending a corner? When he did exactly that on the third corner after he came on, there was a massive ironic cheer from the south stand. The result of the corner - goal.

The bloke behind me who had loudly been giving Wilkins a load of stick for this was strangely quiet after that.

That guy was a right "one". Were you in d block, by any chance?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Possibly slightly unfashionable to say it, but I thought Gillingham's remaining nine players deserved a bit of credit for sticking at it.

For sure. They hit the bar and had a free-kick cleared off the line also. The Albion completely failed to take advantage of playing against nine men and were very lucky it didn't finish 4-3 or worse... Just won't do.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
For sure. They hit the bar and had a free-kick cleared off the line also. The Albion completely failed to take advantage of playing against nine men and were very lucky it didn't finish 4-3 or worse... Just won't do.

On the flipside, I thought we stepped down a gear to conserve energy and avoid picking up knocks. Gillingham were not holding back. It would be silly to over extend ourselves when the points were in the bag and we have a manic month to contend with. If we had buried some of our chances, this wouldn't even be a talking point.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
We also hit the bar and Murray had two great chances. Deserved win. Even if we didn't play as well as the last couple of games.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
What was stupid about that was it appeared to be done in reaction to the crowd - that's no way to manage! I'd prefer we left one or two up on corners and free kicks BUT that should all be worked out on the training ground rather than done on the whim of the south stand.

100% Correct.

I agree they were taking risks, but if we had put two on the halfway line do you think they would have left them there unmarked?

I think that's a lot of people's point - that leaving a player or two forward ALSO takes opposition players out of our area, and away from their own attack.

The way it is when all are back, perhaps it's done because we are crap at defending set pieces, unable to track every opposition player. You would hope though, that when we're playing with an extra man we might just afford to leave one on the halfway line.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I think that's a lot of people's point - that leaving a player or two forward ALSO takes opposition players out of our area, and away from their own attack.

The way it is when all are back, perhaps it's done because we are crap at defending set pieces, unable to track every opposition player. You would hope though, that when we're playing with an extra man we might just afford to leave one on the halfway line.

Thank you NMH, you summed it up better than me.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We also hit the bar and Murray had two great chances. Deserved win. Even if we didn't play as well as the last couple of games.

I agree we were the better side and deserved the win.

I just felt Gillingham were due a little bit of credit for keeping going- plenty of teams would have all sulked at the perceived injustices against them, whereas they continued to make a game of it, resulting in us making mistakes.

I also think the Albion probably took their foot off the pedal somewhat to try and take the sting out of it. After Clohessy was sent off, I was starting to wonder if they'd lose their rag totally and wind up crunching into a few Albion players, when injuries are the last thing we need.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

That's the way. We were talking about that in the pub.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Up until the first player got sent off I thought we were poor. For the rest of the first half we were very good. Three goals, a goal disallowed, hit the woodwork and Murray's dreadful miss.

You would have thought the Gills half time team talk would have been about damage limitation, but we came out in the second half the same way we started the first. Until the fourth went in I thought they still had a chance.

It was a good performance in parts and the first half offered excellent entertainment value, but if we are going to get points against Carlisle, Walsall and Doncaster we will need goalkeeper and defence to concentrate for 90 minutes, a better midfield although I thought Westlake and Martot did alright tonight, and Murray needs to improve his chances to goals ratio.

We're still in with a chance though.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I have just warmed up. I am sure Withdean was colder last night than it ever was at the Goldstone!

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PS: the referee was terrible. Would be have won without the twelfth player though?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Q: What is Murray's best shooting foot?

And don't say his head.

I could not work out of he was left-footed, right-footed or no footed when it comes to shooting!?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Who were the two youngsters kicking the ball around in front of the dug out? More skill there then in the game itself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here