Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bos-Herze v Ireland

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When did the English last misbehave at a tournament?

What's that got to do with anything? The thread is entitled 'Bos-Herze v Ireland' and I was talking about the Irish fans being good fans.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
What's that got to do with anything? The thread is entitled 'Bos-Herze v Ireland' and I was talking about the Irish fans being good fans.

You made the point that the Irish 'behave', which seemed to be a dig at other fans.

If you look at Euro 2012, the trouble seemed to be with the Poles and Russians, but that was nationalistic and historical, rather than drink fuelled.

So to me, it seems, like most teams fans, the Irish are capable of behaving. Which is very good of them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They are always pretty impressive. I remember in the last tournament they were in and one of the pundits (I think it was Roy Keane) getting rather annoyed with all the comments of how great they were and saying he would rather they were silent and the team performed.

I think Keane got slightly irked at the "oi'm just glad to be here" mentality of the fans at Euro 2012, where the team absolutely STUNK the place out, losing all three group games. They went down 4-0 in their last dead-rubber group game against Spain and were abject throughout the tournament, the team just didn't show up. But it was still just party time for the legions of pissed-up paddys in the stands.

They're not actually bothered about the team, as long as they can all get drunk and have a "craic". Which apparently makes them great fans.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Well at least if they qualify the Americans might show an interest in the tournament. They're all mostly Irish, you know.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I think Keane got slightly irked at the "oi'm just glad to be here" mentality of the fans at Euro 2012, where the team absolutely STUNK the place out, losing all three group games. They went down 4-0 in their last dead-rubber group game against Spain and were abject throughout the tournament, the team just didn't show up. But it was still just party time for the legions of pissed-up paddys in the stands.

They're not actually bothered about the team, as long as they can all get drunk and have a "craic". Which apparently makes them great fans.

With the brutal quality of the football under Trappatoni, there were few other ways to enjoy a match tbh

The FAI forgot to sent me a season ticket renewal, I didn't bother chasing it up.

Because only Irish people know how to enjoy themselves you see. They even have a SPECIAL word for it - the craic. Lovely people to a man.

Haven't you seen Titanic? Whilst the English people were being nasty despite enormous wealth, the Irish were below deck in the cheap bits, fiddly-diddly singing and dancing and even having josh-tastic fights. That's the craic right there - nobody else in the world has such a capability to enjoy themselves.

To be sure, so it is.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
With the brutal quality of the football under Trappatoni, there were few other ways to enjoy a match tbh

The FAI forgot to sent me a season ticket renewal, I didn't bother chasing it up.

Twas always the case with Ireland though, since well before Trappatoni's reign. Not that England have had much to boast about in tournaments, but I have to say, much like Norway, any match involving the R of I is almost always guaranteed to be a DOG of a game. I won't be overly traumatised if they fail to make it this time.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Twas always the case with Ireland though, since well before Trappatoni's reign. Not that England have had much to boast about in tournaments, but I have to say, much like Norway, any match involving the R of I is almost always guaranteed to be a DOG of a game. I won't be overly traumatised if they fail to make it this time.

On a proportional scale, taking the former position as 'good' on that scale, it went dire under Trappatoni. What may not seem like a major change from an external viewpoint was quite significant from inside!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
My stag party was in Stockholm and we went to see Sweden v Ireland in the last WC qualifiers.

Despite the obscene prices of beer there, the Irish took it upon themselves to drink the town dry.

Also went to the Aviva for the match against Scotland in June, and have to say that the Tartan Army are fantastic. None of the sectarian eejits from either side of the invisible friend argument, just a great bunch of lads who are no stranger to a can.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You made the point that the Irish 'behave', which seemed to be a dig at other fans.

If you look at Euro 2012, the trouble seemed to be with the Poles and Russians, but that was nationalistic and historical, rather than drink fuelled.

So to me, it seems, like most teams fans, the Irish are capable of behaving. Which is very good of them.

You seem a bit touchy. This wasn't a dig, it was an acknowledgement that the Irish are the sort of fans that the mayor of any tournament host city would want to see coming. I've been to plenty of tournaments and seen England away, this includes the good and the bad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was in the away end last month at Poland - Ireland didn't sell out. A lot of home fans in the away end.

I suspect the Euro Finals in France in Summer 2016 might attract one or two more Irish fans than an October qualifier in Poland.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
Because only Irish people know how to enjoy themselves you see. They even have a SPECIAL word for it - the craic. Lovely people to a man.

Haven't you seen Titanic? Whilst the English people were being nasty despite enormous wealth, the Irish were below deck in the cheap bits, fiddly-diddly singing and dancing and even having josh-tastic fights. That's the craic right there - nobody else in the world has such a capability to enjoy themselves.
:lolol: Superb post !!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The North v South in France would be fun though.

No, it would have all the pretty pink fairy types scurrying for a cheeky celebratory w**k the minute it was announced, but what will actually happen is that it would all pass off incredibly peacefully with both sides enjoying drinking side by side and proudly announcing dat we oyrish lov da craic to be sure.

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I just don't understand the attraction of that Godforsaken country. It's dreary, miserable, grey, it nearly all looks the same, and anyone who has half a brain flees it the second they hit adulthood. "Oh the people are so friendly", yeah, well people are friendly everywhere if you are nice to them, except France.

That said, I am duty bound to want them to win tonight as my wife's entire family are Irish, and therefore my son is stained with Irish blood. Come on the Paddys, and hopefully they'll get humiliated in the finals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here