Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black Caviar

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Really?

I've known horse form for 25+ years and top form comes from races with blanket finishes all the time. So I couldn't disagree with you more.

Form from races where one horse streets the rest is often misleading especially if those behind the winner are exposed for being average animals.

Maybe, but Johnny Murtagh's nag fell out of the traps and was beaten less than 2 lengths...

You would have to have blinkers bigger than Earth Summits to suggest that was an impressive performance !!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Maybe, but Johnny Murtagh's nag fell out of the traps and was beaten less than 2 lengths...

You would have to have blinkers bigger than Earth Summits to suggest that was an impressive performance !!

It was her first trip O/S, her first run at the track and her first up run after a break.

I'd say she was impressive for a 12000 mile hit and run mission given what she'd have to over come to win it.

Frankel's raced at 4 different tracks in his career. Ship him 12000 miles by plane and i'd bet his first up effort would leave him very vulnerable too.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Totally this

Anyone with a modicum of racing knowledge knows that the form is suspect if a blanket covers the field

What race were you watching. With eyesight that bad you should be reffing at the Amex next season.

The horse will only do as much as it has to or is asked of it. If the jockey sits there posing for photo's whilst very nearly making a complete twat out of himself. The horse is not going to run away and win by half a dozen lengths.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The horse will only do as much as it has to or is asked of it. If the jockey sits there posing for photo's whilst very nearly making a complete twat out of himself. The horse is not going to run away and win by half a dozen lengths.

Well said sir! :clap2: The jockey was far too casual, and the trainer looked suitably unimpressed.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Well said sir! :clap2: The jockey was far too casual, and the trainer looked suitably unimpressed.

Well it's only 15 years watching horse racing. On and off the track. 7 years of that working in a bookies. So watching it day in day out. Seems obvious to me, others seem to think different for whatever reason at the moment.

Some seriously sketchy arguments being put forward though. Not sure if some are on the wind up/ they have genuine eyesight problems or are three bet a year men. Time will tell I guess.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Better to have a argument about jockeys from the different continents after that effort.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
For the record when was the last time we had a top 6 furlong horse in this country. It is not a distance that trainers in this country or rather the owners prioritise when bringing thoroughbreds through. There are no classics at 6 and few group 1 races compared to the other distances.
The Aussies seem to love their sprinters much more than we do.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
For the record when was the last time we had a top 6 furlong horse in this country. It is not a distance that trainers in this country or rather the owners prioritise when bringing thoroughbreds through. There are no classics at 6 and few group 1 races compared to the other distances.
The Aussies seem to love their sprinters much more than we do.

Dayjur, who would have murdered Black Caviar

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
Time form ratings

Each year, Timeform rates the quality of every horse that ran on the flat in Britain, plus many foreign-trained horses that raced outside of Britain.* Recently, they have included horses that raced in North America.** According to the publishers, Timeform Ratings are "simply the merit of the horse expressed in pounds and is arrived by careful examination of its running against other horses using a scale of weight for distance beaten which ranges from around 3 lb a length at five furlongs and 2 lb a length at a mile and a quarter to 1 lb at two miles".* At the end of each racing year, the final weight assignments for all the horses in training are determined at weight-for-age.* Therefore, equal ratings mean horses of equal merit.* Additionally, adjustments are made to the general level of the handicap so that all the ratings are kept at the same standard level from year to year.* Listed below, with pedigree and career highlights, are all of the runners ever weighted by Timeform at 135 pounds or more.* The highest rating in Timeform history belongs to Frankel who displaced the great Sea-Bird in 2012.

147: Frankel, b.c., 2008 (Galileo-Kind, by Danehill); In England: 2010 Dubai Dewhurst S (7f), 2011 Qipco 2000 Guineas (8f), 2011 St. James's Palace S (8f), 2011 Qipco Sussex S (8f), 2011 Queen Elizabeth II S (8f), 2012 Lockinge S (8f), 2012 Queen Anne S (8f)

136: Black Caviar, br.f., 2006 (Bel Esprit-Helsinge, by Desert Sun); In Australia: 2010 Patinack Farm Classic (6f), 2011 Lightning S (5f), 2011 William Reid S (6f), 2011 T. J. Smith S (6f), 2011 BTC Cup (6f), 2011 Patinack Farm Classic (6f), 2012 Sportingbet C. F. Orr S (7f), 2012 Lightning S (5f)

It would be interesting to see these to go over 7f

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
Pleased Black Caviar won and it is a very good horse, but I did notice that the Wokingham handicap was run in a faster time.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Each year, Timeform rates the quality of every horse that ran on the flat in Britain, plus many foreign-trained horses that raced outside of Britain.

Time form is not a good system to compare horses. Their methodology tells nothing like the true picture of many a horses talent.

As soon as I see the term time form I tune out.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Dayjur, who would have murdered Black Caviar

What rubbish. Once again BC has run a furlong in under 10 seconds, I'm pretty sure Dayjar NEVER did. You do understand how fast you have to be to break 10 seconds for the furlong don't you?

Why you think a horse that's won 22 races in a row with 12 of them being group 1 races would get blown away by a horse that was beaten 4 times in its short 11 start career beggars belief.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here