Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Best places to eat Breakfast in Sussex

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Perch, Lancing, had a great breakfast until they started f***ing about with the potato element.

Used to have potato fritter/hash brown hybrid which they replaced with a basket of horrid, dry, tater tot type things.

Then they added the option of some weird, dry “mini hash browns”.

No thanks.

Now I’m at a loss, really.

Quite like the breakfast burrito at Drift in Shoreham. I suppose.

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
The Perch, Lancing, had a great breakfast until they started f***ing about with the potato element.

Used to have potato fritter/hash brown hybrid which they replaced with a basket of horrid, dry, tater tot type things.

Then they added the option of some weird, dry “mini hash browns”.

No thanks.

Now I’m at a loss, really.

Quite like the breakfast burrito at Drift in Shoreham. I suppose.
I like the Burrito at the Drift.

The Port Kitchen by the lock gates is quite nice. The sausages and bacon were high quality meats, beans in a pot though!

I don't mind a decent greasy spoon, but would prefer to go for decent ingredients.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I like the Burrito at the Drift.

The Port Kitchen by the lock gates is quite nice. The sausages and bacon were high quality meats, beans in a pot though!

I don't mind a decent greasy spoon, but would prefer to go for decent ingredients.
Ah yes. Been to Port Kitchen once before. Very good indeed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just read the TripAdvisor to see if they’re still open… pretty much all 1* reviews - and they close at 1am now. I remember you used to have to queue to get in there sometimes
Sink a few pints in the Lion & Lob and then it was either SaltyFinger, Cheeky Chicken or if we’d been to the Hobgoblin for late beers, it was queuing outside the MD for the gutbuster.

Would have probably been just as happy going home and having a slice of toast but we went along, nonetheless.

Almost broke my neck many a time going down those stairs to the dunny.

Not been there for probably 17 years.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For cheap and cheerful but undoubtedly rather low quality produce, I still pop into the Rainbow in Lancing most Monday mornings for a breakfast.

Tend to stay away from their sausage and bacon (it’s not good quality) but they do a good Spanish omelette with chips and beans.

Anyone know anywhere that does a decent black pudding near Shoreham / Lancing way?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
For cheap and cheerful but undoubtedly rather low quality produce, I still pop into the Rainbow in Lancing most Monday mornings for a breakfast.

Tend to stay away from their sausage and bacon (it’s not good quality) but they do a good Spanish omelette with chips and beans.

Anyone know anywhere that does a decent black pudding near Shoreham / Lancing way?
O/T

The quality of the meat makes all the difference doesn't it? I used to occasionally play golf in Spain. We'd stay at my mate's villa, which was in a complex of other British-owned villas - so naturally there was a cafe serving full English breakfasts. We used to start there before heading off to the course and the quality of the food was always excellent. Then it changed hands. The new owners decided to maximise their profits by keeping the prices the same, but by changing the ingredients to, cheaper, inferior ones. The bacon became strips of fat, God knows what was in the utterly tasteless sausages, even the tea became weak and tasteless. We along with everybody else stopped using it and it eventually closed. (I haven't been back since).

And this will be of no use to you, but THE best breakfasts ever in the history of breakfasts used to be served in a cafe called the 'Hop In' in Lancing. It used to be next to the Three Horseshoes pub at the bottom of in South Street. It was so good I used to go back there even after I moved to Brighton. It became a Greek restaurant, dunno what it is now as it's a very long time since I went to that neck of the woods.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
O/T

The quality of the meat makes all the difference doesn't it? I used to occasionally play golf in Spain. We'd stay at my mate's villa, which was in a complex of other British-owned villas - so naturally there was a cafe serving full English breakfasts. We used to start there before heading off to the course and the quality of the food was always excellent. Then it changed hands. The new owners decided to maximise their profits by keeping the prices the same, but by changing the ingredients to, cheaper, inferior ones. The bacon became strips of fat, God knows what was in the utterly tasteless sausages, even the tea became weak and tasteless. We along with everybody else stopped using it and it eventually closed. (I haven't been back since).

And this will be of no use to you, but THE best breakfasts ever in the history of breakfasts used to be served in a cafe called the 'Hop In' in Lancing. It used to be next to the Three Horseshoes pub at the bottom of in South Street. It was so good I used to go back there even after I moved to Brighton. It became a Greek restaurant, dunno what it is now as it's a very long time since I went to that neck of the woods.
Yeah, the quality really counts. Bland and tasteless doth not a fry up make!

Unfortunate he closed but that’s what you get when you try to do things on the cheap.

As for the Hop..
Still a Greek restaurant called Meze Meze.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The best bacon sandwiches and tea combo used to be that little place outside Hove Station on the south Goldstone Villas side. I used to start many an away game with a takeaway sandwich and tea. It was very much in the “greasy spoon” vibe; thick rashers fried on a flat grill thing, thick fresh cut door step bread, brown sauce and a polystyrene cup of tea the colour of those Quality Street discs of toffee . It was magic.

Went back a few years ago now and different owner and it has been tarted up and was a huge disappointment. Bacon was these little thin strips which were microwaved …WTF.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Cafe Cabana in Seaford
Seconded. I love this place, a proper greasy-spoon cafe'. It's small (their breakfasts aren't!), and don't expect all the usual amenities as they don't have a toilet... which may prove an issue considering the demographic of Seaford.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

I believe that the restaurant / cafe at Shoreham Airport does a very decent breakfast. It always used to, when I was an 'infrequent regular' there, but I have not been there for a couple of years now. Think it was called the Hummingbird?
Edit - just checked, yes they do black pudding according to their website.

I kind of agree with you re hash browns BUT I'm happy to have them if there's no bubble - all cooked breakfasts should have bubble.
Potato and indeterminate green veg, no thanks. Like hash browns. and maple syrup as well, eggs scrambled .

Whistle Stop cafe by Crowborough station recommended.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Just read the TripAdvisor to see if they’re still open… pretty much all 1* reviews - and they close at 1am now. I remember you used to have to queue to get in there sometimes
Best place in Brighton to get a 3am breakfast after night clubbing back in the day.

First started going there in the early 80s when it was Brighton’s best kept secret only passed by word of mouth and really was mostly all night lorry drivers for the vegetable market - then it took off big time.

The queues were the fun part - people converging after various venues around town, bumping into mates, loud, drunk and lots of fun.

I never managed a gut buster iir but the food was great quality, really hot when it arrived. Sausages, black pudding, fried bread, eggs, tomatoes, baked beans, bacon …. tea and sugar spilt all over the red formica tables.

There were never any fights, just everyone enjoying the tuck.

Perfect end to a Brighton night out.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Best place in Brighton to get a 3am breakfast after night clubbing back in the day.

First started going there in the early 80s when it was Brighton’s best kept secret only passed by word of mouth and really was mostly all night lorry drivers for the vegetable market - then it took off big time.

The queues were the fun part - people converging after various venues around town, bumping into mates, loud, drunk and lots of fun.

I never managed a gut buster iir but the food was great quality, really hot when it arrived. Sausages, black pudding, fried bread, eggs, tomatoes, baked beans, bacon …. tea and sugar spilt all over the red formica tables.

There were never any fights, just everyone enjoying the tuck.

Perfect end to a Brighton night out.
I don’t like black pudding and used to sub it out for extra hash browns :thumbsup: and the trip to the terrifying lavs was always exciting/harrowing. Good times. Never actually went in there sober though… was just loads of cabbies reading The Sun

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Partner’s in Arundel
Yup! Been many times. Quality of ingredients is marvellous. Highly recommended.

The Station Cafe in Portslade is very good and Shorely Scrumptious in Worthing (Prop: one of NSC's finest!) does a very good breakfast as well as great roasts, homemade S&K and bacon puds and homemade puddings.

Bloody hell, this thread's made me very hungry.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
View attachment 190770View attachment 190771

First one is our Double plus breakfast including black pudding which isn’t on this photo,, £10 with tea or filter coffee, 2nd one is our all day breakfast £8 with tea or filter coffee
We also do a Double breakfast which is the double plus without chips, black pudding and hash browns. £9
Where are you based? 👌🏻

Edit - found you on Google 👍🏻

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here