Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Ever Military History Books

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Need some help. On holiday soon. Just want to sit and read a fair bit by the pool and would love some recommendations for the genre that is Military History. Anyone got any recommendations please? Any other history buffs out there with some top tips?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I would go with anything by Stephen E. Ambrose. He is an fantastic author who writes historically accurate and very readable books.

If you have not read 'band of brothers' or 'pagasus bridge' go and buy them - they are well worth the spend.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Written in the 6th Century (!!), but readily available.

Good call... or 'on war' (von krieg) by Carl von Clausevitz - not really readable (most translations are pretty poor), but the man was an absolute genius - the book was originally released by his wife in 1832 after his death.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Piece of Cake - Derek Robinson. Ok its a fictional novel, but it is the best novel ever. All about an RAF squadron that is sent to France during the Phoney War and follows its adventures through the war in france and the Battle of Britain. Superb dark humour and and a rip roaring read. I can't put it down everytime i read it and i've read it atleast 15 times.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Thanks chaps, but I've read all these suggestions - and would agree with your comments. Sun Tzu's Art of War was given to me when I left Uni many years ago - as essential world of commerce reading!! :p I now understand why!

Any other suggestions? I know Max Hasting's Nemesis BFJ is good but it's not out in paperwork yet I believe :(

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Piece of Cake - Derek Robinson. Ok its a fictional novel, but it is the best novel ever. All about an RAF squadron that is sent to France during the Phoney War and follows its adventures through the war in france and the Battle of Britain. Superb dark humour and and a rip roaring read. I can't put it down everytime i read it and i've read it atleast 15 times.

Wasn't that made into a ITV drama? Seem to remember it from the late 80's for some reason.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Bomber Boys (Fighting Back 1940 - 1945)
By Patrick Bishop

Superb and definitive record and analysis of Bomber Commands campaign during the Second World War.

Vulcan 607
By Rowland White

Story and background of the RAF's attack on the Landing strip at Port Stanley during the Falklands War. Simply astounding when you learn what really happened.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Bomber Boys (Fighting Back 1940 - 1945)
By Patrick Bishop

Superb and definitive record and analysis of Bomber Commands campaign during the Second World War.

Vulcan 607
By Rowland White

Story and background of the RAF's attack on the Landing strip at Port Stanley during the Falklands War. Simply astounding when you learn what really happened.

Ok, thanks, sound interesting, esp the latter because it's in my lifetime. I read Bishop's Fighter Boys and it was really good; didn't realise he'd written another about Bomber Command. Thanks

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah it was, but the book is in a different league.

If its proper factual books you're after, the two most recent ones i've read are

Dresden - Frederick Taylor
Enemy Coast Ahead - (Uncencored version) Guy Gibson

Both excellent reads.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Four days in June which is a novel/story of Waterloo by Iain Gale. Excellent and told through the eyes of the real characters who fought there.

Also The boy in the striped pajamas by John Boyne which is about two 9 years olds whom become friends in the Holocaust. One German and the other Jewish. Very easy to read and very simple but very moving.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Four days in June which is a novel/story of Waterloo by Iain Gale. Excellent and told through the eyes of the real characters who fought there.

Agree with that. If you are interested in the Napoleonic Wars, then I would strongly recommend the lengthy but gripping "The War of Wars 1793 - 1815" by Robert Harvey. Chunky and readable.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003

Yep totally agree it was a superb account and rivetting.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm currently reading The Holocaust by Martin Gilbert. Horrifying but utterly compulsive.

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
I would go with anything by Stephen E. Ambrose. He is an fantastic author who writes historically accurate and very readable books.

If you have not read 'band of brothers' or 'pagasus bridge' go and buy them - they are well worth the spend.

Second that, Father-in-law was Ox & Bucks and was part of the Pegasus Bridge campaign. Ambrose makes deep & personal as well as very factual.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here