Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Ever Military History Books

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
September 2002; we stayed with David Rattray if you've heard of him, poor bloke. Murdered last year. Amazing story teller, quite extraordinary and I don't use
that word lightly. His lodge was where part of Zulu Dawn was filmed, whilst you're right about the Drakensberg Mts & Zulu.

Anyway, I too have heard the theory of Rorkes Drift's VC sham. Whilst undoubtedly brave soldiers, it's my opinion too that it's just too coincidental that so many were awarded on the same day an unsurpassed colonial defeat happened a few miles away (only 200+ in the whole of WW2!) It rocked the government of the day, and anything the spin doctors could use to deflect attention from Isandlwana was used. You can argue they spin doctors won - today, millions more have heard of Rorkes Drift than Isandlwana!

Whilst I never got to hear David Rattray, I have had hundreds of people in my shop complementing his tours of the Battlefields. All agreed that it was one of the best 5 hours they have ever spent!! The tours are still running and his wife is still there managing the business. Brave woman.

Have you read "Washing of the Spears"? Hard work to begin with but worth it in the end - probably still the best book on the Anglo-Zulu Wars.
Unfortunately, David Rattrays "Guide to the Anglo-Zulu War Battlefields" in now longer in print here, so if you have one, hang on to it - why they have not reprinted it is a mystery.
Boer War wise, the best is still Thomas Packenhams "The Boer War". He obviously didnt think he could do better as he now writes books about trees!!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Might have been mentioned but Chickenhawk by Robert Mason is on a par with If I Die In A Combat Zone as being one of the best books to have come from Vietnam Vets.

Donk the Seagull

Registered Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Have you read Chris Ryan - The One That Got Away. True story from first Gulf War where he managed to escape from Iraq on his own after the rest of his squad got captured.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Whilst I never got to hear David Rattray, I have had hundreds of people in my shop complementing his tours of the Battlefields. All agreed that it was one of the best 5 hours they have ever spent!! The tours are still running and his wife is still there managing the business. Brave woman.

Have you read "Washing of the Spears"? Hard work to begin with but worth it in the end - probably still the best book on the Anglo-Zulu Wars.
Unfortunately, David Rattrays "Guide to the Anglo-Zulu War Battlefields" in now longer in print here, so if you have one, hang on to it - why they have not reprinted it is a mystery.
Boer War wise, the best is still Thomas Packenhams "The Boer War". He obviously didnt think he could do better as he now writes books about trees!!

Yes, read WOTS as it's a monumental work. Rattray was absolutely amazing man and I heartedly agree with your customers comments. How his family coped with the incident I don't know. Murdered, in cold blood, in front of so many witnesses. Truely shocking. Hit the headlines around the world he was such an extraordinary oral historian. Did you know he became such good friends with Prince Charles after he once visited that after Diana's death, this is where he took refuge from the worlds press with William and Harry? Personally, I only have happy memories of staying with them at the Lodge and listening to his stories at night with a G&T by the fire and on the battlefields at night. I have a copy of his book obviously and didn't know it had gone out of print so thanks for the tip as I'd love to go back one day. I have a lot of footage of his tours at home, he was kind enough to allow me to film them. He did some audio CDs which I have somewhere; well worth getting (from the lodge) if you're interested.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Unfortunately not - it is the Amphitheatre of the Drakensberg Mountains (in the Royal Natal National Park, between Bergville and Sterkfontain Dam), which is also a lovely part of the world and is I believe where the filming of the film Zulu took place. When were you at Fugitives Drift??

Zulu Victory is definately worth a read sometime as it tries to give a full account of what actually happened at Isandlwana (where that is possible), exposing some of the stories created by the British to cover up their embarrassment!! I heard an interesting theory about Rourkes Drift the other day - essentially, the Zulus did not try to overrun Rourkes Drift - they were sent there to keep the British occupied, whilst the rest of their armies rustled all the cattle on the frontier farms which the farmers had deserted temporarily. The person who told me this said that the 13 VC's awarded at Rourkes Drift were a sham to deflect the bad press that Isandlwana created. Interesting!!

Even though I am an old fart, I can recall that view in your avatar quite clearly.( I lived in SA in the bad old days 1966 to 1971)

Not really a war book, but A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch by Alexander Solzenitsin(sp?) is a very good albeit bleak read

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here