Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal Goal Just Now.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Obviously funny.

Obviously had to be given by the ref

However I have the nagging feeling that Arsenal should have let United equalise, its not the best sportsmanship to score in that fashion.

I'm not so sure. The more I watch it back, it's clear that De Gea is watching the ball as it's played into the box and not who's around him. I think he probably things he's been deliberately fouled by an Arsenal player and has gone down to milk it in order to get a free-kick. A risky strategy that massively backfired.

2-1 now though.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Brilliant that the ref gave it. Just as the rules state he should anyway.

I'm sick and tired of seeing players over acting for the slightest touch. Serves de Gea right. Not that anyone else will learn from it of course.

praise-jesus.gif

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm not so sure. The more I watch it back, it's clear that De Gea is watching the ball as it's played into the box and not who's around him. I think he probably things he's been deliberately fouled by an Arsenal player and has gone down to milk it in order to get a free-kick. A risky strategy that massively backfired.

2-1 now though.

2/2 now though

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

That's exactly what he was doing. Lots of players do it - feel a touch go down, feign an injury. Hopefully the ref will stop play so your defence can have a break, or you can stop that counter attack, or so you can make the ref think he missed something and suspect a player is fouling more than he is, or with more intent. The smarter players makesure to hold their heads, because then the ref will be forced to stop becquse of a head injury. I guess as a goalkeeper, De Gea is used to so much protection he's not used to that part of the trick.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Why is it not good sportsmanship? It was a) his own player b) not a head injury c) De Gea was fine enough to protest to the referee afterward and play the rest of the match

I dont think any of those things matter - he was obviously in pain. There was a time when players put the ball out if someone was injured, now they hardly ever do it even if it's someone on their own team!

I reckon if Man U had scored like that against a team like Brentford there'd be a bit of upset!

Still funny though :)

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Was absolutely fair to allow it but i think Arsenal could have been a bit more sporting and not celebrated.

Like when a tennis player apologises after scoring with a mis hit

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I dont think any of those things matter - he was obviously in pain. There was a time when players put the ball out if someone was injured, now they hardly ever do it even if it's someone on their own team!

I reckon if Man U had scored like that against a team like Brentford there'd be a bit of upset!

Still funny though :)
He's a professional sportsman. He can cope with a bit of pain. Has he ever seen arugby match? A man (or a woman) can be tackled fifty or sixty times a game with a couple of big blokes (or women) jumping on top of them. They seem to manage. Why can't a footballer?

I remember once at Turf Moor there was a half time game between primary school girls. The goalkeeper from one team kicked a ball at the same time as an attacker was kicking it, and fell over, and got up and made a save. Then she sat on the floor and cried, because her foot hurt. But crucially, as long as the ball was in play she kept playing and did her darnedest to keep the ball out. Crying was for later.

If de Gea had shown the same grit and determination as a 9 year old girl, he might have made the save.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He's a professional sportsman. He can cope with a bit of pain. Has he ever seen arugby match? A man (or a woman) can be tackled fifty or sixty times a game with a couple of big blokes (or women) jumping on top of them. They seem to manage. Why can't a footballer?

I remember once at Turf Moor there was a half time game between primary school girls. The goalkeeper from one team kicked a ball at the same time as an attacker was kicking it, and fell over, and got up and made a save. Then she sat on the floor and cried, because her foot hurt. But crucially, as long as the ball was in play she kept playing and did her darnedest to keep the ball out. Crying was for later.

If de Gea had shown the same grit and determination as a 9 year old girl, he might have made the save.

Absolutely agree with this. And for the record, I would be mortified, embarrassed and primarily outright bloody FURIOUS if a BHA keeper let a goal in like this.

Yes being trod on with a studded boot is not pleasant. But does it induce collapsing to the floor and adopting the foetal position on the goal-line, with your BACK TO PLAY ? Come on. He's a 6'4 31 year old slab of Madridian mutton, not Philip bloody Schofield. I very much suspect he "felt contact", thought it was an Arsenal boot, and assumed the crash position accordingly to draw the (usually mandatory) free kick to relieve the pressure. It backfired MASSIVELY. And I couldn't be more delighted.

Except they came back to win, which really was a pity.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'll tell you what, if the ManUre fans ever do a 'you need 7' they will instantly put the weedy nob end De Gea in the 'not even for consideration' pile.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Obviously funny.

Obviously had to be given by the ref

However I have the nagging feeling that Arsenal should have let United equalise, its not the best sportsmanship to score in that fashion.

They did :O

In seriousness, the same thoughts crossed my mind.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Funny old game for Atkinson. He nearly blew for DDG being down but changed his mind, obviously remembering that VAR could back him up. Unlike that fat **** Lee Mason.

But then he missed the most obvious penalty shout right in front of his eyes for the Utd penalty, which he gave as soon as he saw the monitor.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Had to be given. If the goalkeeper has been incapacitated by his own player and isn't seriously injured (what was even wrong with De Gea?) then it's absolutely fair game. We had a not dissimilar one go against us a few years ago (see 1:45 below). In that instance our defender had been knocked clean out and went off unconscious on a stretcher, with our defenders understandably taking their eye off the ball to check he was ok. My argument there was that there was both sufficient time and a good reason to stop the game before shot went in - no such excuse tonight.

https://youtu.be/ejoMX9rRXSY?t=105

That one is horrific and actually a bit more contentious because this time the defender was seriously injured, but again it's not the fault of the striker who clearly hasn't seen what happened. The ref should have blown as soon as he saw the guy on the floor, and maybe he did. I think you're being unfair to say there was sufficient time - it didn't feel much different to last night in terms of time. It's just an even more unfortunate incident but I think ultimately nobody did anything wrong there either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here