Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Are your halloween decorations up yet?

Have you got your halloween decorations up yet?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Put some stuff up last night for the first time in my life. I'm totally against it, but a 6 year old has the veto on any opinion I have on the subject.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Completely pointless IMO. Another Americanism that just sees people spending more money, often that they can barely afford. And don't get me started on the tacky pubs that go crazy with this shit too.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
First time for years we wont be doing anything (thank f***) as the eldest moved out last year, and the youngest is away on holiday with the missus...so Im home alone.
Popped to Asda the other day, and was surprised at how much of their Halloween tat was still on the shelves. Usually by this time they've been stripped bare.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having lived in this.... Interesting country for a while now I have to admit Halloween is superb here, everything is very eerie, some of the haunted house attractions are f***ing insane due to the sheer amount of acreage available for them and it's just fun. Halloween IN.
I have been in NYC a couple of times during Halloween and I have to say it is superb, walking around the West Village especially. I have also spent two Xmas' in NYC and have loved it.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
84627D93-3D5C-4C1D-A24B-3AD6BDFA6589.jpeg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's just another big commercial opportunity dreamed up (for UK purposes) by the big retailers, one of which I used to work for. You know the what we called the seasonal aisle. It's all about these sales opportunities, basically selling worthless junk. Every few weeks it will change to the next thing.
Watch out in the next few years, international women's day, an idea imported from the continent to sell flowers and chocs etc. Most people in the UK had never heard of it until recently. I guess they are stocking up on world Cup memorabilia right now and I don't even live in the UK now.
Very funny.

Being serious though, it's a public holiday here in Berlin.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I have been in NYC a couple of times during Halloween and I have to say it is superb, walking around the West Village especially. I have also spent two Xmas' in NYC and have loved it.
I always wondered what the Halloween fuss was about until I lived in New York. The Halloween Parade is always good fun, watched it many times and participated a few times. It's really just a bunch of people blowing off steam, and that's needed these days more than ever

Last edited:

Bryanw42

Nov 8, 2021
Epsom
Hate Halloween. Have got 4 young kids so have to endure it until such time they are no longer bothered with it. It's also close to Christmas so could do with more of a clear run up to the big one, without any other faffing and decorating. Do admire the creativity and humour of those that do like it however.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
One of my friends in California has been "full on" Halloween for 2 weeks now - decorated house, trip to Disneyland for the Halloween celebrations, trips to farms similar to Tulleys, etc etc.

Dont really get the excitement the Americans have for Halloween, its almost bigger for them than Christmas.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Only two weeks till the big day, so have you got your decs up yet?

???
Twenty years ago you would have been laughed off of this board. Sadly American ‘culture’ (two words that should never be used together) has infiltrated and this shit occurs. Over here it is even more prevalent but marginally less offensive as it is light in the evening and kids are supervised by their parents. Just another marketing ploy for people to waste money on and then plead poverty.

November 5th far more important and relevant to the UK.

Grumble, grumble, grumble.

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Nope, not a fan at all and do not get it, however the American wife may have other ideas, thankfully my daughter is to old to get excited about this money making venture. It is bad enough we celebrate thanks giving at home.

On a side note, the wife also demands two mothers days, the British one and American date as well, I think I have been played.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here