Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion Women

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Just back from the game. We were lucky not to be further behind at halftime as we were too slow playing out from the back and Man Utd were putting us under lots of pressure. Second half was a lot better with the substitutes providing more impetus and we deserved to get at least a draw and Parris took her goal well - we are the first team to score against them this season.

Man Utd liked complaining and doing niggly fouls as the match wore on which showed how we frustrated them. Some of the decisions from the officials were a bit odd - Man Utd even got away with a drop ball that they then hand balled in the penalty area which Kirby was rightly annoyed and frustrated about!

A draw against a top side, and up to second in the table - very happy with that!
That incident you refer to was a strange one on more than one level. So the ref stopped the game after a man u player went down in their pen area and clearly signalled she was stopping the game for a possible head injury. She did not then immediately call on the physios as i expected but went up to the player and spoke to her and then waited for some time for the player to recover, still with no medical intervention or inspection. Then she held the ball in the manner that officials do when they are restarting with a drop ball and duly did exactly that, dropping it at the feet of the keeper who then passed it to a defender on her right.
At this point we entered the realm of ultimate weirdness as the defender leaned forward and stopped the ball with her hand before passing it back to the keeper. Penalty! i shouted and so did a few others, but nothing from the officials. Now clearly the utd player was confused and made a mistake BUT the game had restarted and she handballed it deliberately so by the letter of the law surely it should have been a pen?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Impressive game to be fair, Man Utd are a very slick team, moved the ball quickly and cleverly, we had to hang on in the first half, the defenders were far too slow at getting the ball moving, Dario was going mad on the touch line.
Second half we saw the proper Brighton ladies, combative, physical but also very good footballers. Very good substitutes, Bruna is a very technical player but lacks the pace and physicality to threaten stronger full backs.
Nikita Parris is unreal, great tenacity, covered every blade, thoroughly deserved her goal.
I’m becoming seriously invested in this team.

Also, Poppy getting booked was absolute bollocks.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
That incident you refer to was a strange one on more than one level. So the ref stopped the game after a man u player went down in their pen area and clearly signalled she was stopping the game for a possible head injury. She did not then immediately call on the physios as i expected but went up to the player and spoke to her and then waited for some time for the player to recover, still with no medical intervention or inspection. Then she held the ball in the manner that officials do when they are restarting with a drop ball and duly did exactly that, dropping it at the feet of the keeper who then passed it to a defender on her right.
At this point we entered the realm of ultimate weirdness as the defender leaned forward and stopped the ball with her hand before passing it back to the keeper. Penalty! i shouted and so did a few others, but nothing from the officials. Now clearly the utd player was confused and made a mistake BUT the game had restarted and she handballed it deliberately so by the letter of the law surely it should have been a pen?
I'm not up on the rules, but surely for any suspected head injury the physios should always be called on. And for any injury it seems generally the ref asks the player if they want the physio before calling them on but if they say no play doesn't restart until they are on their feet. Maybe we should be like Rugby and play on unless its a serious injury - say give a player 30 seconds to get up and if they don't play has to restart?

Not seen any mention of the incident in any report so its all very odd so its just like its been ignored. Still annoyed about it now!

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
I'm not up on the rules, but surely for any suspected head injury the physios should always be called on. And for any injury it seems generally the ref asks the player if they want the physio before calling them on but if they say no play doesn't restart until they are on their feet. Maybe we should be like Rugby and play on unless its a serious injury - say give a player 30 seconds to get up and if they don't play has to restart?

Not seen any mention of the incident in any report so its all very odd so its just like its been ignored. Still annoyed about it now!
Yes i agree.
I too was annoyed but i found even more annoying was when they were under pressure from Albion in the second half and they wanted to make a couple of changes and some tactical tweaks. So their keeper suddenly dropped to the floor and the ref went over and called on the physios who proceeded to do some obviously unnecessary work on her while the rest of the team all grouped round the coach to receive their instructions etc. The keeper then made a miraculous recovery, 2 subs were made and they soon took the upper hand in the game. Somewhat reminiscent of a certain Villa keeper !
Now i know the keeper is a special case with regards to leaving the pitch after "treatment" but my suggestion would be that an outfield player would have to go off to serve the time that an "injured" player has to wait before coming back on.

dbarnard

Jul 26, 2011
if you go onto the Albion YouTube Chanel and rewatch the whole game, just forward to 65 minutes, the penalty incident can be watched. I picked up on this straight away and said to the supporters around me that the match official had bottled it. definitely should have been a penalty.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Really good game, although pretty unimpressed by the referee. As others have side, played like a difference side in the second half.

Great to set a club attendance record, but United's big away following certainly helped. Hopefully we can get another big crowd for the West Ham game, and would love to see the Palace game moved to the Amex, men are away to Forest that weekend.

sussexbee

Jan 15, 2023
What do we imagine is stopping most of those who came to the Amex hopping on the free bus and travelling 25mins to Broadfield?

I'm not a fan of games at the Amex. Soulless empty stands, a bunch of tourists not watching the game, no swearing near little Florrie and Rupert. Critically, doesn't feel like home advantage when the girls only play there twice a season.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
What do we imagine is stopping most of those who came to the Amex hopping on the free bus and travelling 25mins to Broadfield?
In my case, complete unawareness that Seagull Travel laid on coaches to the Broadfield games. Maybe I've been really not paying attention but I don't think this has been well publicized. Not that I was at the Amex yesterday, but I've been put off going to Crawley because it's a pain in the arse to get to. I'll probably look into it now.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost

I'm not a fan of games at the Amex. Soulless empty stands, a bunch of tourists not watching the game, no swearing near little Florrie and Rupert. Critically, doesn't feel like home advantage when the girls only play there twice a season.
It might be 25 minutes on the bus itself, but in reality it's an hour and a quarter either side of the match, so 2 and a half hours in total plus however long it takes you to get to and from the Amex in the first place (about 45 mins each way for me, and I'm not that far away).

Four hours of travel is a lot for a team people are not yet fully invested in.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
It might be 25 minutes on the bus itself, but in reality it's an hour and a quarter either side of the match, so 2 and a half hours in total plus however long it takes you to get to and from the Amex in the first place (about 45 mins each way for me, and I'm not that far away).

Four hours of travel is a lot for a team people are not yet fully invested in.
Exactly why despite the bus being free, and departing from near my house. I do not use it (does help that my train and bus is free :lolol: )

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Parking in the development just before the ground is free but it can be hard to find a spot. Theres also a layby which has space for about 10 cars if you get there early enough. The K2 centre doesn't allow parking for long enough for a match, but slightly further away (on the K2 side but back towards the A23) is a business park that apparently you can park in though I've never done it as once the car park started getting really busy I started using Seagull Travel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here