Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I've not read the whole thread but Cristiano Ronaldo is a good example, he clearly has a lot of talent and favourable attributes to make him a good footballer but his hardwork and dedication have helped him to compete on a different level to most. Football as an industry is littered with talented players who have had huge potential but never lived up to it. Character is a big part to the decisions that individuals make and a big reason some don't make it

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I've not read the whole thread but Cristiano Ronaldo is a good example, he clearly has a lot of talent and favourable attributes to make him a good footballer but his hardwork and dedication have helped him to compete on a different level to most. Football as an industry is littered with talented players who have had huge potential but never lived up to it. Character is a big part to the decisions that individuals make and a big reason some don't make it

You are absolutely right. The talent has to be there to allow it to flourish into something special through dedication from all concerned.

We have all seen players at lower levels that have the skill but fail to hit the top for a number of reasons, mostly though it’s dedication. Gary Player was quoted as the more I practice the luckier I get.

But to believe anyone can achieve greatness in a pursuit with just dedication is crazy.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You are quite right of course, I think the discussion is really about the necessary aptitudes that are needed to form the base to work from. These are often thrown into the umbrella term of 'talent' whereas in reality they are more specific skills to be improved. Many of these aptitudes can also be coached and improved through practice.

Perhaps it is disingenuous to suggest that innate ability or skills do not exist at all, more that they are less important than our narratives like to suggest?

I'm only prepared to defend my corner to the point of saying that talent, natural ability hard work and coaching are all needed - the relative importance of each component is way beyond my knowledge or expertise to argue one way or another.
So, one way or another, I'm out of this! :)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm only prepared to defend my corner to the point of saying that talent, natural ability hard work and coaching are all needed - the relative importance of each component is way beyond my knowledge or expertise to argue one way or another.
So, one way or another, I'm out of this! :)

Fair enough, Here is an article that looks at the science and some studies done in this area. If you are interested.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-innate-talent-a-myth/

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
You are absolutely right. The talent has to be there to allow it to flourish into something special through dedication from all concerned.

We have all seen players at lower levels that have the skill but fail to hit the top for a number of reasons, mostly though it’s dedication. Gary Player was quoted as the more I practice the luckier I get.

But to believe anyone can achieve greatness in a pursuit with just dedication is crazy.

well yes. but both extremes of the talent/dedication dichotomy probably aren't true

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Well surely if some people are naturally more predisposed to learning than others (call it intelligence if you like), then there must be people with the right mix of physical / mechanical abilities to be 'naturally' better at football / sport of your choice?

or, indeed, all things

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
paddy mccourt must be one of the best footballers you've ever seen, but only for 3-7 seconds every half an hour

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Jimmy Greaves RIP is a great example of natural talent with abundant stories of what a bad trainer he was by the likes of Bill Nicholson, Alan Mullery and Greaves himself. There are also many others.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Natural ability absolutely plays a role IMO. But only in establishing the minimum and maximum "potential" a person has to be good at something. Where someone then fits inside that window is a factor of how motivated the person is in maximising the potential, and how much effort etc they put into it.

In the last year, I've gone to U6 Football and Cricket skills training with my 5 year old. I've been able to observe the kids, and what I've seen is that a) some kids are just good at the physical skills required from day 1; b) some of those who are good, pay attention through the whole session and rapidly get better; c) some of those who are good are easily distracted and/or clearly only there because their parents bring them and they improve a lot more gradually; d) some of those who aren't good on day 1, pay attention, practice, and get better and eventually eclipse the good kids who don't pay attention but remain behind those who were good and motivated; e) some of those who aren't good also aren't interested and remain not good.

At the other end of the scale: Michael Schumacher was an absolute great in F1. But ask any expert and they'll say that a large part of that greatness was down to motivation, work ethic, dedication. Not just to his driving, but to the whole jigsaw puzzle of how to win in F1 - physical and mental 'fitness', advance preparation, etc etc.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I see Connolly has described Middlesbrough as a "massive" club. Presumably Sheffield Wednesday's lawyers will be in touch.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
“I want to play football again and be challenging for a starting spot. It (last year) was tough. It was hard to deal with and maybe I did the wrong thing at times and obviously, I wish I could have reacted differently to certain things but I am still learning different aspects of myself on and off the pitch.

“That will come and hopefully I can show that to the Middlesbrough fans. I am a footballer and trying to deal with stuff that is being said about you as well as not scoring and not playing is tough. It is all a learning curve. I won’t always start every game, score every game and have a perfect career going forward.

“There will be ups and downs. I have had more downs than ups in my Brighton career so in a way this is like a fresh start to come here and get back playing and enjoy football. That is the main thing really.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40779582.html

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
“I want to play football again and be challenging for a starting spot. It (last year) was tough. It was hard to deal with and maybe I did the wrong thing at times and obviously, I wish I could have reacted differently to certain things but I am still learning different aspects of myself on and off the pitch.

“That will come and hopefully I can show that to the Middlesbrough fans. I am a footballer and trying to deal with stuff that is being said about you as well as not scoring and not playing is tough. It is all a learning curve. I won’t always start every game, score every game and have a perfect career going forward.

“There will be ups and downs. I have had more downs than ups in my Brighton career so in a way this is like a fresh start to come here and get back playing and enjoy football. That is the main thing really.

All very nice to hear, and encouraging he has admitted he is learning in life as well as football.
Not sure about the last section about more downs, than ups in his fledgling Brighton career…
What been a prolific under 23 striker, breaking into a struggling EPL team, scoring two cracking goals against Tottenham.
Ok he hasn’t pushed on as yet, but hardly downs….

Wishing him all the best anyway, hope he comes back hungry and full of confidence.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

ok mate ......so grab it by the scrotum and smash the **** out of it , get off the piss for the rest of the season and have a go at being the best you can , you will be a bloody hero if you come back here next year as a better player and a more mature person.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Burn him!!!

Surprised about what he said - "I am a footballer and trying to deal with stuff that is being said about you as well as not scoring and not playing is tough" - as I've been told no one has ever said a bad thing about Aaron, and that those things they never say have no impact on him and his footballing. :shrug:

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
ok mate ......so grab it by the scrotum and smash the **** out of it , get off the piss for the rest of the season and have a go at being the best you can , you will be a bloody hero if you come back here next year as a better player and a more mature person.

Burn him!!!

Surprised about what he said - "I am a footballer and trying to deal with stuff that is being said about you as well as not scoring and not playing is tough" - as I've been told no one has ever said a bad thing about Aaron, and that those things they never say have no impact on him and his footballing. :shrug:

He's probably a lovely down to earth lad, that needs to grow up and stop fvcking about, especially on the social media platform.
Even going to your own countries media isn't great advice, they're just after a story.
It's a bit like going back to yr mother for bitty, after you've left the nest :lolol:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Just hope he can get his sh*t together and make something of his career whilst ignoring the off-the-field distractions which are threatening to ruin it.

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Burn him!!!

You've never been told that, at all. You've been told that he isn't being bullied, which he isn't.

He's said all the right things here for me. Time will tell if he means them. I really hope he does, but my guess is it isn't going to work out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here